mother-in-law going buying crazy!!!

deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
am I over-reacting....... yes probably but I just have to get it off my chest

I swear to god everytime I talk to my MIL she's rattling off a list of stuff she's bought for my son or the new baby.

stuff like clothes and a baby bunting and a high-chair and she found this great crib at K-mart that she wants my hubby to look at (since ours has to go, its on a recall)

Most of the folks I have talked too have said don't worry about it, less things I have to buy, but from my view I would love to go shopping and buy some new stuff for my baby stuff that I not her have picked out, kind of take the fun out of it

and what irks me more is that she calls my mother to rattle off the stuff she got.. It almost seems to her like a race... my mom just shrugs it off.

My MIL is retired and I guess has nothing better to do.

I also don't have the best relationship with my MIL (long freaking story) its cordial at best.
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    And this is a prob b/c? :laughing6:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry. My MIL is kind of like this as well. Just remember you get to pick out some of the important stuff...baby bedding, take home outfit...just let her buy the big expensive stuff and save money. :)
  • irociroc Central MassRegistered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    I have an uncomfortable relationship with my MIL as well, and I know how it can feel to have them kind of take over that way.

Especially when there isn't a great relationship. It REALLY takes something away from it when someone you are struggling to like is overstepping their boundaries.

"boundaries" being: 'I don't like you right now and I want to buy my own stuff for my kids....hag.'.

:munky2:
    :laughing6:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    If you don't see her often, maybe you can return some of the stuff and get what you really want.
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry. My MIL is kind of like this as well. Just remember you get to pick out some of the important stuff...baby bedding, take home outfit...just let her buy the big expensive stuff and save money. :)

this is true... but i wanted to go and shop for cribs with hubby... not have her decide on the one I should get.. if she likes it so much she should get it for a spare or something when we come to visit! (Which for me is rare, if I can help it) in fact DH and Liam are down there for the weekend and I have the house to myself!

Woo Hoo!

D
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    please give her my number!!!

my common law MIL is the exact opposite, which is probably just as annoying. she wont buy anything without my approval. i think what makes it so annoying is that she always says something like, " i was going to buy majerle xyz, but i wasnt sure if you were going to like it. and id hate to buy something that doesnt meet your standards and you wouldnt let her wear/use/play with/sit on/crap in/eat it..." :banghead:
    just buy the damn thing and shut up! *rant over*
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    deedles wrote: »

this is true... but i wanted to go and shop for cribs with hubby... not have her decide on the one I should get.. if she likes it so much she should get it for a spare or something when we come to visit! (Which for me is rare, if I can help it) in fact DH and Liam are down there for the weekend and I have the house to myself!

Woo Hoo!

D

this is what my mom does, which is weird too.
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote: »
    please give her my number!!!

my common law MIL is the exact opposite, which is probably just as annoying. she wont buy anything without my approval. i think what makes it so annoying is that she always says something like, " i was going to buy majerle xyz, but i wasnt sure if you were going to like it. and id hate to buy something that doesnt meet your standards and you wouldnt let her wear/use/play with/sit on/crap in/eat it..." :banghead:
    just buy the damn thing and shut up! *rant over*

trust me you wouldn't want her..... and frankly no offense I don't want yours either... HA HA HA HA
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    :laughing3:
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Well, maybe suggest y'all go shopping together. Tell her that you know she enjoys getting the kids stuff, so you can show her what "goes" with the rest of your stuff or what themes/styles you are going for.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    It's nice that she is so excited. Is this her way of trying to build a better relationship with you?
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    deedles wrote: »

Woo Hoo!

D

Okay, I agree a crib is pretty personal. Just return it and get the one you want. If she notices just tell her the crib didn't go with what you had picked out...or better yet just give her an "exact" list of stuff you want. LOL!!!
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Registered Users Posts: 617
    Mine is doing the same thing..but thankfully not on the big stuff. If she were or if I were you I would say thank you but we would really like to pick out the crib (or whatever) ourselves. I would just tell her.

My MIL is buying a ton of "little" stuff and from past experience "cheap little" stuff. I'm not trying to be a snob but at the same time this is my first child and I'm trying to really put some time into thinking about what products I'm comfortable with and what I'm not. I hate that she is spending all her hard earned money (she doesn't have a lot) on things that I probably will be uncomfortable using. It makes me feel bad that she could potentially be wasting money but at the same time I know she's so excited, it's her first grandchild. I've decided just to let it be and try to use what I can.
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file