brassy

missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
What can I try for my hair it turns red or brassy no matter what I use. Well it was a little better with RC but the lady you email to ask questions said it would be a few times to get the brassy out. The RC just dont stay long it fades to fast and doesnt cover the gray very good but I just dont know what to try next would be open to any suggestions. A toner or anything

Comments

• BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Registered Users Posts: 108
    Two questions. What color is your hair and what color are you dying it?
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    I always start with a light red brassy color because when I get ready to color thats the color it is. I trying for a brown actually at this point I will take any brown just dont want red any more. My natural color is just a little darker then light brown, but I havent seen that in a few years. When I first started coloring my hair never turned red but now no matter what color I use it just turns red. I DONT WANT RED HAIR
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Maybe try using a cool brown, rather than warm brown shades? Warm brown has gold shades in it and can turn brassy. Cool brown shouldn't do that.

ETA - maybe think about doing a toner every 4 weeks or so. That should keep your color fresh in between dyes.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Registered Users Posts: 108
    Sounds like you have the same haircolor as my mom. She doesn't like/want red hair either.

She usually gets some stuff called drabber from Sally's beauty supply. Basically it's this little vial of stuff that she adds to hair color that neutralizes all the red in the dye and her hair. Not sure how it would work with RC color. She uses regular store bought hair dye.

Also look for a shade labeled cool or ash. Cool and ash colors don't have any red in them.

HTH.
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
    I have tried the stuff from sally's and it didnt help at all it was still red and I have used the ash colors it might be my imagination but seems like its redder with those. I just dont know where to turn now
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    It may be time to go to a professional. A colorist can do a corrective color on you and you should be all set.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • sine.wavesine.wave Registered Users Posts: 17
    My hair can also tend toward brassy or red tones. My natural color is medium brown, with about 25% grey mostly in the front. I have been very happy using RC mix per Karin's advice to cover the grey: 75% light ash brown + 25% golden beige blonde (because the ash was too greenish). Then I highlight using a silicone cap, pulling through the finest strands. When I asked Karin about toning the highlights, she suggested using Shimmer Lights shampoo and conditioner, just until the tone was right.

However I don't care for the SL ingredients or fragrance so I have found this GREAT PRODUCT at Sally Beauty ARDELL RED GOLD CORRECTOR that is a purple toner you can add to coloring mediums or bleach, or your own shampoos or conditioners. I added it to the bleach mixture while highlighting and my conditioner for all-over toning. It is very subtle, not blue-haired-lady results.

I bought the larger size than the ampule that this link shows, so I can add drops as needed:
    http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1490/240815
    2A canopy
    3A underneath
    So what color do you get with those mixed I hate to go to dark because it makes me look older. I did contact Karin and she suggested a color for me #18 I think and said to maybe leave it on my length no more then 5 mins because if they were already porous that longer wouldnt help the color take and it would just wash out any way. I think I had the best results with Robert Craig color though but Karin had told me it might take a few applications to get the red out. She also said to get infuser a product by infusium and do every day until my hair is healthy before I color. I tried the shimmer lights on my brown hair and it didnt make any difference but it really does help with highlights, but I wasnt doing CG then but it made my hair so dry and straw like. The last time I colored I got professional color from Sallys and I bought some drops (not the ones you use) they were red out or something like that. It was a little packet and I put it in my hair color and it didnt help either. I got some advice from a beautician she told me to get nice and easy hair color light ash brown and mix 2 ozs shampoo in it and check the color every 5 minutes. That really scares me though I have never heard of putting shampoo in hair color she said any gentle shampoo would work just not baby or dandruff. I dont know what Im going to do but im so impressed you can do highlights yourself. Thank you so much for your advice I will look into the drops at sallys
    I mix the RC clear with the RC color powder mixture if I want a lighter beige/dark blonde tone (3/4 clear + 1/4 color) as the background for blonde highlights. The RC colors can be dark, so the addition of clear makes it more like the swatches.

If I am covering the grey at the roots,or if the highlights have become more of an all-over tone, I will use the color powder mixture without the clear all over, or sometimes if I just need a little more contrast between the light and dark tones I use the cap and pull strands through and apply the RC for low lights.

My goal as my hair goes grey is to keep the highlight tones more neutral so that when the roots grow in there is not a contrast between the coolness of the grey and a too-warm tone on the rest of the hair. So I process the highlights to the "pale" stage and use the color corrector to tone them a more neutral color that is compatible with the white strands growing in. The RC page describes the importance of proper lightening in a two-step process (1. bleach 2. tone with RC) to prevent brassy tones, and why all-in-one products don't do this properly because they are trying to both lighten hair and deposit color in one step.

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=bleach

Sounds complicated, but I've got it down to a science now with my hair. As I am pulling the highlights through the cap, I repeat my mantra "subtle...subtle" (not out loud, of course) so that I keep the strands fine and don't get heavy-handed. A little goes a long way.

Another interesting page on the RC website, their favorite formulas:
    http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=formulas

You are smart to ask Karin for advice. Everything she has told me has worked beautifully.
    2A canopy
    3A underneath
    Thank you so much for all your help it sounds like you have great hair. I did read on the website where they recommend using shampoo and conditioner in the bleach. Im sort of afraid to try that myself with the bleach its hard to tell what it would turn out like. have you lost any of your curl on the bleached parts of your hair?
  • kellistarr29kellistarr29 Registered Users Posts: 1
    My girlfriend tryed to hilight my hair and turned it darker - I do not think she left the bleach on long enough - I HATE IT - it looks reddish rather than blonde. Please help if you know of a particular toner or trick that can easily fix this so that I can get through the next few weeks and go get it re'bleached - thanks =-)
    [email protected]
    I highly recommend you write to Karin on the Robert Craig website. She responds very quickly and she is very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=askkarin

A temporary solution that they sell at places like Sally Beauty and I have also seen at drug stores is the Roux Fanciful color rinse. It is completely temporary - don't go out in the rain if you use it! - but if you match your natural haircolor, it will blend in the under-lightened highlights between washings until you can do something more permanent to fix them. Good luck!
    2A canopy
    3A underneath

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file