Nappy Nightmare!!!

hi i am beingnappy. i have been going natural for about 2 months but i desperately need as much help as possible. my relaxed hair is overprocessed and uneven. i used to use the precis relaxer and the mizani relaxer(i went to a professional hair stylist). my natural hair is 4a/4b. right now it is very dry. :cry: i have not put heat on it for two weeks. i tried wearing it in a braid out style but the lady that did my hair braided it too tightly. i have been washing my hair once every two weeks. i plus it is very tangled at the roots and is breaking off in small strands. i need new ideas for products. i am looking for something that is inexpensive and natural. and i need new styling ideas for my hair because i have senior pictures on monday. how do i keep my hair detangled without breaking it off and still keep it looking soft and healthy?

event.png

Comments

• MeNaturallyMeNaturally Registered Users Posts: 9
    I have the same problem with major tangling at the roots of my hair it's almost as if the relaxed hair gets caught up in the roots. Have you been using a leave-in conditioner to provide moisture? Because what your hair needs most right now is moisture, try Neutrogena Triple moisture leave-in it is great! It is best used right after washing use a lot your hair will soak it right up. Also use a little bit every day there after to keep your hair from drying out.

Use a wide tooth comb to detangle if you can somehow manage it I suggest you only detangle while your hair is loaded with condtioner you should have a conditioner that has a lot of slip, Redken conditioner from their "All Soft" is a life saver for me. Then use a leave-in and run the comb through your hair again. To keep it from tangling again you might want to air dry while your hair is in four big braids. Try the "no dry combing" which would prevent breakage.

You said that you have stopped using heat for two weeks which leads me to believe that before now you have been using a lot of heat which is very bad for your hair it dries and fries it. You should probably use heat no more than once a month or at most once every two weeks. Invest in a deep conditioner I love Redken deep conditioner from their "All Soft" line.

Another good idea would be to try no heat styles so that you can handle your hair less therefore keep it in good condition. The shake and go is a fun style while you are in transition. Which is when you have washed and conditioned your hair and then load it up with leave-in with minimal handling and no combing through so you scruch the product in and let air dry without touching it. Your hair should come out with the fake defined curly look after that you should use leave-in everyday to keep it from drying. Good luck with your school pictures.
    Transitioning from relaxed to natural. I am 3b and have about 2' of ng as of 8/23/06 . BC in Spring of 07 or Summer of 07.
  • seventeen&confusedseventeen&confused Registered Users Posts: 4
    thank you so much for this advice. i do not have a leave-in conditioner but i will try the one that you recommended. btw have you heard about Natural Hair Relaxer Texturizer. It is on this website www.treasuredlocks.com

event.png
  • MeNaturallyMeNaturally Registered Users Posts: 9
    I forgot to mention another leave-in that is also great and will provide you with tons of moisture it is also less expensive then the Neutrogena Triple moisture. It's called S-Curl (costs no more that 3 dollars after tax) it is in a blue and white spray bottle and can be found in most pharmacies.

No I haven't heard about that text but maybe you should become completely natural before you chemically process your hair, because there is NOTHING natural about a texturizer!! I know you have been having a hard time, but you haven't given your hair a chance especially considering you aren't fully natural yet. Always remember what your hair needs most is moisture grease meaning products containing petroleum and mineral oil don't moisturize.

Once you text you can't go back, and don't even think about double processing your hair by putting in a curly perm on top of your relaxed hair that spells hair loss. Even though a text isn't as strong as a relaxer it still weakens your hair by breaking down the bonds. And you still have to go back every 4 months or so to touch up the roots. Natural hair without chemical processes is always more healthly than hair that has been relaxed, texturized, or texlaxed. Having said that it is your hair so do whatever it is that will make you happy. I just think you shouldn't give up that healthly new growth just because you are feeling overwhelmed. Good luck :D
    Transitioning from relaxed to natural. I am 3b and have about 2' of ng as of 8/23/06 . BC in Spring of 07 or Summer of 07.
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Registered Users Posts: 105
    thank you so much for this advice. i do not have a leave-in conditioner but i will try the one that you recommended. btw have you heard about Natural Hair Relaxer Texturizer. It is on this website www.treasuredlocks.com

SeventeenandConfused..
    I got a similar product in my hair two weeks ago. The product name used on my hair was Joy-Joyce and it was referred to as a mineral softener. After reading the answers to the FAQs on treasured locks, it sounds like the same thing. I still have my curls for curly days but it helps my keep my hair straighter for straight styles longer--especially in the summer when the heat is working against natural hair worn in straight styles. I got this after 11 months of transitioning. I am not here to persuade you to purchase the product since I don't know anything specific about Treasured Locks but I just wanted to share my experience with a similar product. BTW, my stylist applied it to my hair. I did not do it myself.

Good luck on your decision. I think MeNaturally offered a ton of great information for you on your natural hair care. Sounds like your hair needs that kind of TLC.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly
  • crimson_mariecrimson_marie Registered Users Posts: 25

I shop from treasured locks a lot. I buy their hair growth vitamens that work really well for me. I am almost at the length I want. I really do want to try their natural relaxer. Let us know if you decide to do it. I am really interested in it. I talked to one of their sales representatives and the she told me was that it really makes the hair so much easier to detangle and stretches the curl. She also said it would be best that I get a hot oil treatment after using the natural relaxer because the hair may be a bit dry. That didn't worry me too much since its all natural and no chemicals.
    event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file