home hair dying - how do you condition?

gretchenm47gretchenm47 Registered Users Posts: 4
I usually do Feria for my colour, but this is the first time I'm doing it since going CG. The conditioner they give you to use at the end has cones in it. I tried just really soaking my hair in my regular conditioner [Trader Joe's Nourish], but it still felt like straw. I then soaked it in my leave-in [Giovanni Direct Leave-In] and let it sit for about 10 minutes, which helped, but it's still not feeling nice. I broke down and put on the given Feria conditioner.

So what do you home dyers do? Will this one cone application once every couple months [I'm lazy] really be that troublesome?

Comments

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    The problem with the cone conditioner is that you need a detergent to get it out of your hair.

I use Robert Craig color. After dyeing, my hair does feel a little straw-like. After rinsing the dye out, I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl's Too Shea[/buylink] conditioner.
    I like to use a moisture and protein treatment (from Sally's) the week before I dye. If I use a deep treatment after I dye, I lose hair color.

Next time, condition a few days before and use a heavier, more intense conditioner after.
  • gretchenm47gretchenm47 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks. I'm still vaguely new to all of this [just started at the end of May], so I'm still trying to figure things out.
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    You can use any hydrating conditioner after color, what did you wash it out with? Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to use sulphate shampoo to get color out of your hair. Rinse till the water is clear and use whatever your conditioner is you use to wash every day or week and scrub it well and rinse.
    I like Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment after I do a color service, some clients like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] too. That is what I have at the sink for my clients and it works great.
    Good luck
    Cynthia
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Hi gretchenm47,

I was just wondering - what color Feria do you use? Your hair looks beautiful!! :love7:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Feria conditioner just has amodimethicone...you don't need to clarify out amodimethicone...it's a rather mild cone. I love using Feria conditioner after I dye. I don't even use Feria dye...I use something else, but I buy Feria conditioner from Sally's to use after I dye, because it's awesome. It makes my hair feels so soft and healthy.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file