We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Question about news commercials.

cailincailin Posts: 899Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Here in Boston we have a news station that has two female anchors. The first commercial I saw for it was months ago and it had a tag line like "The new face of the news" (or something to that effect). I didn't get it at first, because both anchors had been around for awhile. I thought "What's so new about them" then I realized it must be that there's two women.

Huh.

Now they have all new commercials with person on the street interviews about how great it is that there's two women. They also say it's great that they're from the area which makes for better reporting.

So, in my opinion, these commercials just perpetuate the sterotype that..I don't know...like it's not a normal thing for stations to do and that there's a REASON for that.
I don't feel like it helps the cause in anyway. Rather, by having two women and not mentioning it is more empowering to women who may be watching. People who will notice WILL notice...weather it's positive or negative, and people who wouldn't notice (like me) would just judge on quality of reporting.

Am I explaing this right?

Comments

• automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Yes, and I agree with you. Women aren't a fricking novelty. I'd be annoyed to be presented first as a woman, with my experience and talents being secondary. We already have to deal with being judged first on our looks before anything else is considered.
  • cailincailin Posts: 899Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Women aren't a fricking novelty. I'd be annoyed to be presented first as a woman, with my experience and talents being secondary.

That's exactly it!! You explained it perfectly.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    eh...never mind...didn't finish reading the OP.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep...hubby & I are always joking when football comes on b/c there is always a woman reporting on the field...
    Woman on the field! Cracks me up...I know, bad Wile E :goofy:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file