4a/4b daughters hair

nomevanomeva Posts: 12Registered Users
My daughter is 2 years old and I am quite frustrated with her hair which is 4a on the front and 4b on the back.I bought coconut oil which I have used as a conditioner after shampooing. I rinse it out. It laves her hair soft and then I use the Curly q custard. Her hair is still frizzy and dries as the day progresses. The products have improved her hair slightly than when I used to just wash with acqeous cream without conditioning it. Her hair becomes messy during the day and I make her wear a hat and that makes me feel frustrated. Can you recommend any products or recipes that I can try. I am thinking the coconut oil can be mixed with something else to make it lighter. You can also recommend any styles that I can try on her her ie cornrows and ponies

Please help.!!!!!

Comments

• curlyauricurlyauri Posts: 19Registered Users
    Hi,
    Just wanted to quickly post. My daughter (16 months old) is a 3b/3C mix & I use jojoba oil (about 3-5 drops) after I condition wash her hair. I then apply the Curly Q lotion & moisturizer through her wet hair & tie her hair up into 2 ponytails because her her is still relatively short. My main point is to keep her hair from looking dry & out of control. I try & leave her hair loose when she's at home but when we go out I tie her hair up.
    The jojoba oil mimics natural scalp oil, so it rarely looks greasy. I finger comb & use a paddle brush on her hair only when wet. You might want to leave the coconut oil in her hair rather than rinsing it out since she needs the moisture. I would definitely recommend ponytails, etc. Little girls are too busy running around to care about their hair!

HTH!
    Aura
    3b dark, long & thick corkscrew curls
    Modified CG
    Current Products in Rotation:
    Devacurl No Poo, One C, HESMU gel, Creme of Nature, Suave Naturals
  • trescurlytrescurly Posts: 8Registered Users
    Just wanted to post to 2nd the jojoba oil..my oldest daughter is a 4a(with some 4b) and her hair likes the oils a lot. Never used coconut oil so I wouldn't be able to make a comparison between the two. Also, the first thing I thought about while reading your post was a leave in conditioner. Are you using one now? If not, you might want to try that. You'd want to use something without a lot of silicone in it. TIGI Moisture Maniac is a favorite of mine for both my daughters hair and it has no silicone. Also, maybe before you add the Curly Custard you could try a product with glycerin in it. Like an activator, Care Free Curl Gold in the spray bottle. I think the bottle says for dry waves. Its not drippy or wet at all.

I think that moisture is the key. And then as far as styles go, I'd probably stay with braids/plaits and the occasional braid out to give her hair/scalp a break. Also, how often do you wash her hair and what products do you use for that? All of those things make a difference. If you're only putting natural oils and silicone free conditioner in her hair then you probably don't need to use anything really harsh at all. Nothing thats going to strip her hair of moisture. The kids forum is a wealth of information. Skim thru some of the posts and see what else you can come up with. And keep us posted on how it goes. Good Luck! Hope this helps!
    3b Multiracial Mommy to two beautiful curlyheads (a 3c and a 4a respectively!)
  • nomevanomeva Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks for your help. I will try to find the jojoba oil. Her curls are also being deformed by the Curly Q custard and just need to ask if there is anyone who has used Kinky Curly Custard on their children hair.
  • VanillaholicVanillaholic Posts: 49Registered Users
    Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion it's in the kids section in the BSS and it's parent company is Africa's Best. No mineral oil or petroluem is in it.
    Wiry?, baby fine strands densely packed with different textures and curl diameters seemingly on each individual strand.
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users
    i have 3 4a daughters. I use organic root stimulator hair dress in Olive Oil. It is like conditioner in a jar. Not greasy and VERY moisturizing. You can get it ANYWHERE in the ethnic section. Ive tried many things to keep their hair moisturized and it works like magic.
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users
    i have 3 4a daughters. I use organic root stimulator hair dress in Olive Oil. It is like conditioner in a jar. Not greasy and VERY moisturizing. You can get it ANYWHERE in the ethnic section. Ive tried many things to keep their hair moisturized and it works like magic.
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • sweetapril73sweetapril73 Posts: 22Registered Users
    nomeva wrote:
    My daughter is 2 years old and I am quite frustrated with her hair which is 4a on the front and 4b on the back.I bought coconut oil which I have used as a conditioner after shampooing. I rinse it out. It laves her hair soft and then I use the Curly q custard. Her hair is still frizzy and dries as the day progresses. The products have improved her hair slightly than when I used to just wash with acqeous cream without conditioning it. Her hair becomes messy during the day and I make her wear a hat and that makes me feel frustrated. Can you recommend any products or recipes that I can try. I am thinking the coconut oil can be mixed with something else to make it lighter. You can also recommend any styles that I can try on her her ie cornrows and ponies

Please help.!!!!!

I am glad I looked a little longer. Please read the post My 5 year old daughter's hair is so DRY under message board 4a. I got so many helpful tips and have used them on my daughter with tremendous results almost overnight.
    I learned that the leave in's I was using were all wrong for her hair type AND I was combing through her hair every morning AFTER applying the leave in and that was adding to her frizziness and puffiness. I immediately discontinued the product I was using (Redken) and began with Kids Organics shampoo to clean her hair, then I applied the Kids Organics Leave In Moisturizer with my fingers and let it air dry. Her curls are so much more defined and in just a few days her hair looks so much healthier. Please read some of the suggestions I got on my post. Good luck!
    http://public.fotki.com/sweetapril73/nias-hair/
    Please see pics of daughter's hair, before and after using the right product!
    April

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file