3B Girls Guide To Relaxing At Home

urbanmommyurbanmommy Posts: 155Registered Users
Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for over a year and over at Long Hair Care Forum. I'm a 3b (now a 3a to 2c) with shoulder-length hair. I'm a new mom and my hair changed during pregnancy to 3c in some places, especially the nape, and it was frizzy, tangly and hard to deal with. The rest was still 3b, and I spent most of my time with my hair in a ponytail.

I've done everything to my hair in my short life, including a professional relaxer at a salon (which gave me Barbie doll hair with no curl and tons of white ends), Rusk Anti-Curl (great at first, then gave me Barbie doll hair with a horrid reddish cast), plopping, Maxi-Gliding, diffusing -- you catch my drift.

I had the Keratin Coppola treatment done about this time last year and paid over $300 including the cut. I loved it. But I work out 5 days a week, and the Coppola treatment lasted about a month, even with SLS-free shampoo. Further, that stylist has now gone up on her price to the same rates as everyone else in my town (Atlanta) of $300 to $350 for just the service. Not very economical, is it?

I considered doing the Coppola treatment at home, but didn't want to go through the cost and 2 to 3 hour process only to have to do it again next month. With a 4 month old baby, I don't have that kind of time to spare, even with my husband at home watching the baby.

I'd researched relaxing and tex-laxing, and decided to take the plunge. My hair is in great shape and I use brown color to cover a few grays whenever I remember, which is about every 4 to 6 months. Other than that, my hair had no other straightening treatments or BTK/Coppola on it.

Originally I was going to buy Phyto Level 1, but the cost was enormous and I'm pretty sure the boxes at my local Sephora had been sitting awhile. Thanks to NC's ORS guru, I spent a grand total of $8.79 on the Organic Root Stimulator No-Lye relaxing kit and another $4.99 for the ORS Aloe neutralizing shampoo. I waited over a week. Then I took the plunge.

I was nervous, the stuff stank, but I persevered, and my hair now looks like it did when I did the Coppola treatment, all for $15 and no worries about it wearing off. I have no damage, no split ends, no bad smell. Just hair that has lost it's "pouf" and curls that are well-formed and swingy. It looks like a really good hair day in mid-December when the humidity is low.

Directions:

1. One box is good for up to shoulder length hair. Any longer and you should buy two boxes just to be safe. Buy the ORS Aloe neutralizing shampoo also. The package comes with a packet of Aloe shampoo, but some complained it wasn't enough. You want more than enough for this job. Also buy either a fine-toothed comb with a tail or a highlighting brush and a shower cap (for deep conditioning)

2. Don't wash your hair for 2 to 3 days as the instructions recommend. Don't scratch your scalp. DO NOT USE RELAXER OVER HIGHLIGHTS OR SINGLE-PROCESS BLONDE HAIR. Do not think about relaxing if you colored your hair in the last 4 weeks, just to be safe.

3. Get a clock or a timer and put it in front of you. You will not deviate from the 10 minute limit for Fine Hair for any reason whatsoever.

4. Part your hair into four sections, as shown in instructions.

5. Mix the developer and base for a minimum of 3 minutes, until it looks like frosting. It will not smell like frosting, so make sure you have your bathroom fan on. If it's humid or raining, don't open a window (recommended by 4a friend).

6. The instructions state to start at the middle of your hair. I started at the back, not the middle, because the nape needed more attention than the front or the crown, which pulls straighter naturally.

7. Be prepared to work QUICKLY. Do not stop to answer the phone, glance at American Idol, check your email or anything. The goal is to finish application of the relaxer in five to seven minutes, then smooth for three to five minutes.

8. I used the back of a fine-toothed comb, but you can use a highlighting brush if you like (shown in directions). Start at the very back and quickly smooth a quarter-sized blob of relaxer from the nape to the middle of your curls, then quickly finish the back section, using the pointy end of the comb/brush to separate the hair into smaller sections until all that section is done. Then move on to the second back section.

9. Do the same for the front sections, starting at the crown then moving forward towards the hairline, again going halfway down. Do the hairline last. You should be at the five to six minute mark.

10. Now take a good palm-sized blob with your hands (in gloves, of course) and start smoothing the relaxer down the rest of hair to the ends. Do not pull too tightly into a ponytail or a bun -- you might end up straightening pieces at the front more than the back. Keep smoothing more relaxer in until your hair is saturated, like you would with a deep conditioner.

10. Smooth the hair, don't comb it, as the directions recommend. You don't need to pull it or use any tension because the relaxer will be working. Imagine you're using deep conditioner to saturate the hair, because that's what it will look like.

11. When the timer hits 10 minutes, grab your bottle of Aloe neutralizing shampoo and start rinsing immediately with warm water until water runs clear and you have rinsed all the relaxer out. Rinse some more, then rinse again.

12. Take a nice palm-size blob of shampoo and lather up, making sure to use your fingertips only on your scalp. Let the suds stay in for 2 to 3 minutes. It will smell like permanent solution, so be prepared.

13. Rinse, then rinse again, then rinse one more time. Lather up again, let the suds stay in another 3 minutes, then repeat. Keep rinsing.

14. Lather up one more time, then keep rinsing.

15. Okay, finally it's time to use the deep conditioning pack in the box. Smooth it on per directions, plop on a shower cap, and either sit under the dryer, use your hairdryer, or wait 45 minutes (which is what I did).

16. Rinse out the conditioner. Look at your hair. It will look straighter than usual, but don't be scared. Make sure you haven't missed any spots. If you did miss a spot and see your normal curl pattern with straighter ends (like I did), quickly grab that section, smooth on the leftover permanent solution only on the still-curly section, then wait 3 minutes MAX. If not, skip to #18.

17. Repeat lather, rest, rinse on the newly permed section, then lather, rinse, repeat on the rest of the hair (Yes, after the conditioner). I had 1/2 bottle of Aloe shampoo left when I finished because I was paranoid. The shampoo is moisturizing, so don't worry about stripping your hair or tangles.

18. I grabbed my Ouidad Deep Conditioner and then slathered it on for 12 minutes, put on my shower cap again, then used my blow dryer to heat up my hair. I rinsed it out per instructions, using regular conditioner (in this case, Neutrogena Triple Moisture).

19. Okay, now look at your hair. It will be straighter and less voluminous, and at this point you'll start getting scared you've permed all your curl out. I used my Ouidad Climate Control Gel, which I rarely use on my hair because it makes my hair too curly (go figure), but I wanted to make sure I still had curl. I'm guessing when I use my normal gel (Aussie), it will be a little straighter.

20. No plopping, leave-in or anything. I used a spritz of Botanical Boost because I had it around, then only used 3 quarter-sized blobs of the gel, scrunching to encourage some curl. It looked like 2a or 2b hair when wet, and it kinda scared me, but I grabbed the diffuser and got to work.

21. Voila! Perfect curl formation. I'm a 3b again, minus frizz. It looks exactly like it did when I first washed and dried after 3 days of flat-ironed, Coppola treated hair.

So that's it. I do not intend to do a touch up or anything for at least 4 to 6 months until I can actually see a difference in hair texture, and then I might go to a salon or school to have them do it, but for now, I have awesome hair! :D
My Hair Blog
3b/c who grew out a chemical haircut
Products: Shea Moisture Shampoo, Suave Moroccan Infusion Shampoo & Conditioner, Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor, Suave Volumizing Mousse

36 MONTHS SINCE THE BUZZ CUT!

Comments

• urbanmommyurbanmommy Posts: 155Registered Users
    Edited
    My Hair Blog
    Products: Shea Moisture Shampoo, Suave Moroccan Infusion Shampoo & Conditioner, Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor, Suave Volumizing Mousse

• heartofcurlsheartofcurls Posts: 215Registered Users
    Where did you buy this?
    Co wash: GTTT Conditioner
    Rinse out: G 50:50 or GVPCB
    Leave In: GDLI
    Gel: KCCC and LA Looks Sport
    My HG is Pink Boots!
    Publix, of all places, in the ethnic hair care section. I think you can buy ORS just about anywhere (WalMart, Target, drug stores).
    My Hair Blog

• CNYcurlyCNYcurly Posts: 39Registered Users
    This sounds like what im looking for. Dont want to straighten my hair, just loosen the tight curl.
    Do you still like it, a couple weeks later?
    Trying to go CG, but have a long way to go.
    Thick, kinky and overly porous:crybaby:
    Thanks to NC i have discovered my hair needs and loves protein treatments
    Yes, I love it. It is still curly, just not puffy. I will get some frizz on the 3rd day after washing, but it's nothing like I used to have.
    My Hair Blog

• Nady220Nady220 Posts: 6Registered Users
    OH! This sounds good! :blob3:
    -Nadia :colors:
    -3a hair (I think)
  • jadebabi06jadebabi06 Posts: 11Registered Users
    urbanmommy wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for over a year and over at Long Hair Care Forum. I'm a 3b (now a 3a to 2c) with shoulder-length hair. I'm a new mom and my hair changed during pregnancy to 3c in some places, especially the nape, and it was frizzy, tangly and hard to deal with. The rest was still 3b, and I spent most of my time with my hair in a ponytail.

I've done everything to my hair in my short life, including a professional relaxer at a salon (which gave me Barbie doll hair with no curl and tons of white ends), Rusk Anti-Curl (great at first, then gave me Barbie doll hair with a horrid reddish cast), plopping, Maxi-Gliding, diffusing -- you catch my drift.

I had the Keratin Coppola treatment done about this time last year and paid over $300 including the cut. I loved it. But I work out 5 days a week, and the Coppola treatment lasted about a month, even with SLS-free shampoo. Further, that stylist has now gone up on her price to the same rates as everyone else in my town (Atlanta) of $300 to $350 for just the service. Not very economical, is it?

I considered doing the Coppola treatment at home, but didn't want to go through the cost and 2 to 3 hour process only to have to do it again next month. With a 4 month old baby, I don't have that kind of time to spare, even with my husband at home watching the baby.

I'd researched relaxing and tex-laxing, and decided to take the plunge. My hair is in great shape and I use brown color to cover a few grays whenever I remember, which is about every 4 to 6 months. Other than that, my hair had no other straightening treatments or BTK/Coppola on it.

Originally I was going to buy Phyto Level 1, but the cost was enormous and I'm pretty sure the boxes at my local Sephora had been sitting awhile. Thanks to NC's ORS guru, I spent a grand total of $8.79 on the Organic Root Stimulator No-Lye relaxing kit and another $4.99 for the ORS Aloe neutralizing shampoo. I waited over a week. Then I took the plunge.

I was nervous, the stuff stank, but I persevered, and my hair now looks like it did when I did the Coppola treatment, all for $15 and no worries about it wearing off. I have no damage, no split ends, no bad smell. Just hair that has lost it's "pouf" and curls that are well-formed and swingy. It looks like a really good hair day in mid-December when the humidity is low.

Directions:

1. One box is good for up to shoulder length hair. Any longer and you should buy two boxes just to be safe. Buy the ORS Aloe neutralizing shampoo also. The package comes with a packet of Aloe shampoo, but some complained it wasn't enough. You want more than enough for this job. Also buy either a fine-toothed comb with a tail or a highlighting brush and a shower cap (for deep conditioning)

2. Don't wash your hair for 2 to 3 days as the instructions recommend. Don't scratch your scalp. DO NOT USE RELAXER OVER HIGHLIGHTS OR SINGLE-PROCESS BLONDE HAIR. Do not think about relaxing if you colored your hair in the last 4 weeks, just to be safe.

3. Get a clock or a timer and put it in front of you. You will not deviate from the 10 minute limit for Fine Hair for any reason whatsoever.

4. Part your hair into four sections, as shown in instructions.

5. Mix the developer and base for a minimum of 3 minutes, until it looks like frosting. It will not smell like frosting, so make sure you have your bathroom fan on. If it's humid or raining, don't open a window (recommended by 4a friend).

6. The instructions state to start at the middle of your hair. I started at the back, not the middle, because the nape needed more attention than the front or the crown, which pulls straighter naturally.

7. Be prepared to work QUICKLY. Do not stop to answer the phone, glance at American Idol, check your email or anything. The goal is to finish application of the relaxer in five to seven minutes, then smooth for three to five minutes.

8. I used the back of a fine-toothed comb, but you can use a highlighting brush if you like (shown in directions). Start at the very back and quickly smooth a quarter-sized blob of relaxer from the nape to the middle of your curls, then quickly finish the back section, using the pointy end of the comb/brush to separate the hair into smaller sections until all that section is done. Then move on to the second back section.

9. Do the same for the front sections, starting at the crown then moving forward towards the hairline, again going halfway down. Do the hairline last. You should be at the five to six minute mark.

10. Now take a good palm-sized blob with your hands (in gloves, of course) and start smoothing the relaxer down the rest of hair to the ends. Do not pull too tightly into a ponytail or a bun -- you might end up straightening pieces at the front more than the back. Keep smoothing more relaxer in until your hair is saturated, like you would with a deep conditioner.

10. Smooth the hair, don't comb it, as the directions recommend. You don't need to pull it or use any tension because the relaxer will be working. Imagine you're using deep conditioner to saturate the hair, because that's what it will look like.

11. When the timer hits 10 minutes, grab your bottle of Aloe neutralizing shampoo and start rinsing immediately with warm water until water runs clear and you have rinsed all the relaxer out. Rinse some more, then rinse again.

12. Take a nice palm-size blob of shampoo and lather up, making sure to use your fingertips only on your scalp. Let the suds stay in for 2 to 3 minutes. It will smell like permanent solution, so be prepared.

13. Rinse, then rinse again, then rinse one more time. Lather up again, let the suds stay in another 3 minutes, then repeat. Keep rinsing.

14. Lather up one more time, then keep rinsing.

15. Okay, finally it's time to use the deep conditioning pack in the box. Smooth it on per directions, plop on a shower cap, and either sit under the dryer, use your hairdryer, or wait 45 minutes (which is what I did).

16. Rinse out the conditioner. Look at your hair. It will look straighter than usual, but don't be scared. Make sure you haven't missed any spots. If you did miss a spot and see your normal curl pattern with straighter ends (like I did), quickly grab that section, smooth on the leftover permanent solution only on the still-curly section, then wait 3 minutes MAX. If not, skip to #18.

17. Repeat lather, rest, rinse on the newly permed section, then lather, rinse, repeat on the rest of the hair (Yes, after the conditioner). I had 1/2 bottle of Aloe shampoo left when I finished because I was paranoid. The shampoo is moisturizing, so don't worry about stripping your hair or tangles.

18. I grabbed my Ouidad Deep Conditioner and then slathered it on for 12 minutes, put on my shower cap again, then used my blow dryer to heat up my hair. I rinsed it out per instructions, using regular conditioner (in this case, Neutrogena Triple Moisture).

19. Okay, now look at your hair. It will be straighter and less voluminous, and at this point you'll start getting scared you've permed all your curl out. I used my Ouidad Climate Control Gel, which I rarely use on my hair because it makes my hair too curly (go figure), but I wanted to make sure I still had curl. I'm guessing when I use my normal gel (Aussie), it will be a little straighter.

20. No plopping, leave-in or anything. I used a spritz of Botanical Boost because I had it around, then only used 3 quarter-sized blobs of the gel, scrunching to encourage some curl. It looked like 2a or 2b hair when wet, and it kinda scared me, but I grabbed the diffuser and got to work.

21. Voila! Perfect curl formation. I'm a 3b again, minus frizz. It looks exactly like it did when I first washed and dried after 3 days of flat-ironed, Coppola treated hair.

So that's it. I do not intend to do a touch up or anything for at least 4 to 6 months until I can actually see a difference in hair texture, and then I might go to a salon or school to have them do it, but for now, I have awesome hair! :D

What is the treatment called?
    is it for caucation/white people too?
    It's called Organic Root Stimulator, look for it in the ethnic hair care section of WalMart or your supermarket.

There is no such thing as black/white relaxers -- they are all chemicals.

Here I am today, two weeks after having a "white" relaxer put in my hair instead of the Keratin treatment I thought I was getting:

December+2009+028.jpg
    My Hair Blog

See new thread here.
    My Hair Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file