Tangles, a woe of transitioning?

lunarisinglunarising Registered Users Posts: 71
I've been transitioning for about 5 months and all of a sudden my hair seems so much more tangly when it's wet. I haven't changed my routine at all, is this normal?

I'm trying to be very gentle but even with a ton of conditioner it's taking me a while to finger comb out the tangles. :?
event.png

Modified CG - Suave coconut conditioner (CW), BC Down and Out, and and Aussie MM conditioner my current loves.

Comments

• SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    Yes it is perfectly normal. To combat you hair from tangling, you should start doing deep treatments 1-2 times a month, if you haven't started already. And combing your conditioner through after applying it to your hair is also something that will help also.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • lunarisinglunarising Registered Users Posts: 71
    Thanks SYB :)

I do a DT 3 to 4 times a month, and also finger comb the conditioner through my hair after letting it sit for a few minutes.

It's good to know tangling is normal wry smile at least I know it's nothing I'm doing, I'll just have to persevere and be patient.

Please tell me it's all worth it!
    event.png

Modified CG - Suave coconut conditioner (CW), BC Down and Out, and and Aussie MM conditioner my current loves.
  • soon2bsoon2b Registered Users Posts: 220
    It may be time for a trim
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    whew! (just read its normal) i was just wondering the same thing. My hair has been getting more tangles (when wet) lately also. I now detangle while my hair is loaded with conditioner. this helps. also I'm doing DT about 2-4 times a month... depends how much time I have.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • zahrazahra Registered Users Posts: 202
    Hi, what product do you use for your treatments?
    3c and 4a. DevaCurl No Poo, Curls Milkshake and Souffle. BC in April 2007.
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Registered Users Posts: 343
    I have the same problem -- it seems my hair is tanglelicious and now I know why it seemed that my hair use to never grow very long; I was tearing it out while trying to detangle.

Now I co-wash and deep condition weekly. I've tried several different products but I find that whatever I use I have to resolve within myself that it takes more time (than I'm acustom to) to properly detangle. I've been using the combing, detangling and washing method on http://www.growafrohairlong.com/; it takes more time but I'm hoping in about another 6-7 months that I can master and expedite process with minimal hair loss due to tangles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • lunarisinglunarising Registered Users Posts: 71
    posting an update

I'm glad to report that the tangles are a lot better :) I still have some but I found out by trial and error that by only finger combing I was leaving in some loose hair which was wrapping around attached hair and creating its own snarl.

I now use a wide toothed comb after applying conditioner and gently untangle, starting at the ends and working up to the roots.

I do find I seem to lose more hair this way which is kinda un-nerving though.
    event.png

• elliemay72elliemay72 Registered Users Posts: 49
    I just discovered that Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner does WONDERS for my tangle problem...if you have one near you, it might help.
    Loving my natural 4a curls, coils and squiggles!
  • holly8holly8 Registered Users Posts: 632
    i wish i knew how to detangle my hair months ago b/c i lost so much hair, like the size of a dinner plate.i mad b/c i kept my hair in weave to grow my hair but i end up losing some of it ,i was in a rush to get my hair done, we all have to learn from our mistakes.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
    zahra wrote:
    Hi, what product do you use for your treatments?

(I think this is for me)
    Sorry it took so long to respond... Well I use the Guava and protein DT from Curl Junkie once monthly. I then follow with a moisturizing treatment- similar to the "Love is in the air" recipie in CG book. I make it with conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil and then I'll add a little honey. Also I use heat cap for about 30 min. Other times I'll add coconut oil, olive oil to my conditioner and use heat cap for 30 min.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Hair Journal/Products

update:
    My tangles aren't as bad anymore. I don't know what was going on before, it was like I was the tangle magnet. I guess now, I have minor to normal tangles.

I found that its better to let the conditioner sit on my hair for a few minutes before detangling. And I detangle with my fingers before I move on to using the wide tooth comb.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Hair Journal/Products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file