How Many Weeks?

kg91308kg91308 Registered Users Posts: 327
I'm really confused about how to tell how far along you are. I went to fill out paperwork at the dr yesterday and the receptionist looked at my date for LMC (Aug 18) and said "oh, you're 5 weeks". So am I just starting my 5th week or 6th week? Or somewhere in between? I know that I just missed my period yesterday, but from reading TCOYF and charting on top of real bad cramps a week ago followed by no period, I knew I was pregnant a while ago.

Also, the dr won't see anyone until they are 12 weeks along. Is this normal? My SIL and friend said they were close to that before they saw a dr, but it just seems backwards to me. If the first trimester is most critical and most likely for miscarriage, it seems like I should be seeing a dr now. So my first dr apt isn't until Nov 11 and she said that would not be an ultrasound. I don't meet with a nurse until Oct 7, when they tell me what to eat, what not to eat, and what medications I can take. That seems like it should be sooner too. I was really frustrated and upset yesterday, but my SIL, who is due in 3 weeks, said everything sounds right to her. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation.

I am also terrified that I will start spotting.

Sorry this is so long. This first time mama is just very nervous and doesn't know what is going on! I did buy the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, which has been helpful. Any advice and reassurance is very welcome lol
Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to! :toothy10:

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    That's correct. There's nothing an OB can do to stop a miscarriage, so there's really no point in seeing you before the end of the first trimester. There's also no need for an ultrasound...at all really. If they hear a hearttone with a doppler at 10-12 weeks, that's confirmation that all is well. They do an u/s at 18-20 weeks and that is more than sufficient. Excessive u/s just drive up healthcare costs and offer little in medical benefit.

To get your exact "week", first you have to know your due date. To get the due date, take the first day of your last period, count back three months, and add 7 days. Then just count backwards 40 weeks from that date and you can know exactly how many weeks and days you are at any given point. It's all pretty easy to figure out if you have a calendar in front of you.

You shouldn't be so frustrated and upset already. Parenthood is all about patience. Pregnancy and parenting will go a lot smoother and happier for you if you cultivate a little patience. You have 35 weeks of pregnancy ahead of you and then 20+ years of active parenting. It's a marathon, not a sprint..pace yourself. ;)
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    Doctors go by a 28-day cycle for everyone, and they start counting your pregnancy from the first day of your LMP (even though it's 2 weeks before you actually conceived, if you do have a 28-day cycle) so on the day you're due for your period, you're 4 weeks along. If the first day of your LMP was August 18th, I'd have you at 4 weeks today (September 15th).

Now, if your cycle isn't 28 days but you know when you ovulated/conceived, you can just take that date and count back 14 days to get your starting point. Like in my case, I have a super-long and irregular cycle because I'm still breastfeeding my son. But I knew I ovulated/conceived on April 8th, so I subtracted 2 weeks and said day 1 of my LMP was March 25th (even though it actually wasn't).

And RCW is right that doctors can't really do anything to prevent miscarriage, and it's totally normal to not be seen until late in the first trimester. In my experience, anything from 8-10 weeks is normal for the first visit. I wouldn't be concerned about waiting until 10-12 though.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Yeah it's pretty normal to not see the doctor until around 10 weeks - give or take.

I found that I got most of my information from books and the internet, not the doctor. I like to research things, and I often thought throughout my pregnancy 'thank goodness I read about this or I would NEVER have known'.

After your first appt, each appt is like 5 minutes. They weigh you, take your blood pressure, they listen to the heartbeat and you give a urine sample - that's it. You're literally with the doctor for 3-5 minutes.

It's a little confusing the way you calculate how many weeks you are because you're considered two weeks pregnant the day you conceive. If you know that, then figure out how long it's been since then and add two weeks. You don't usually know you're pregnant until you're 4-5 weeks.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • kg91308kg91308 Registered Users Posts: 327
    Thanks for the responses. I'm 4 weeks. I am glad to know that it's normal to not see the doctor. I am still really worried that I will start spotting though. So much to the point where the stress might actually make me. I'm working on breathing exercises. This is gonna be a long 36 weeks!
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme OklahomaRegistered Users Posts: 1,340
    With my first two I'm pretty sure I didn't see a doctor until about 10 weeks. With little Jo however I was considered very high risk and saw the doctor and got an ultrasound @ 7 weeks. I understand that cramping is normal at this stage (it never happened to me) isn't this right around the time the egg starts to implant into the uterine wall?
    With my first two I'm pretty sure I didn't see a doctor until about 10 weeks. With little Jo however I was considered very high risk and saw the doctor and got an ultrasound @ 7 weeks. I understand that cramping is normal at this stage (it never happened to me) isn't this right around the time the egg starts to implant into the uterine wall?

I thought it already did implant. I think that it has to implant for the pregnancy hormone to be there. Right? :binky:
    Implantation occurs somewhere around 9 days past ovulation, so yes if you're 4 weeks it's already occurred.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Cramping in the first few weeks past implantation is very common. I had cramping for a few weeks in each pregnancy. Many women report it. It usually starts just before the first missed period (so that you feel like you're about to get your period, which never shows up) and can continue for a few weeks after that.

It's normal.
  • bushyheadbushyhead Registered Users Posts: 1,676
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Now, if your cycle isn't 28 days but you know when you ovulated/conceived, you can just take that date and count back 14 days to get your starting point. Like in my case, I have a super-long and irregular cycle because I'm still breastfeeding my son. But I knew I ovulated/conceived on April 8th, so I subtracted 2 weeks and said day 1 of my LMP was March 25th (even though it actually wasn't).
    This is smart. I should have done this. I was charting so I knew exactly when I ovulated, but of course the doctor's office is going by LMP, so their calculated due date for me is three days ahead of my calculated due date for myself. Not that three days is a big difference, but I know I'm right because at both of my ultrasounds, the baby was measuring right on target with my calculations.
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
    bushyhead wrote: »
    Not that three days is a big difference, but I know I'm right because at both of my ultrasounds, the baby was measuring right on target with my calculations.

At my big ultrasound (18 weeks) the U/S tech told me that actually it was showing my due date as December 25th (it's really the 30th). I said "Really? Because I know exactly when I ovulated, and that gave me a due date of the 30th." To which she replied, "Oh, well ultrasounds are accurate within a week in either direction."
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    bushyhead wrote: »
    Not that three days is a big difference, but I know I'm right because at both of my ultrasounds, the baby was measuring right on target with my calculations.

At my big ultrasound (18 weeks) the U/S tech told me that actually it was showing my due date as December 25th (it's really the 30th). I said "Really? Because I know exactly when I ovulated, and that gave me a due date of the 30th." To which she replied, "Oh, well ultrasounds are accurate within a week in either direction."

The early ultrasounds are alot more accurate, they are within a day or two. As you get further along it's harder to tell.

I was charting with both my pregnancies and I knew EXACTLY how far along I was, and the u/s I got at my first visit proved me right.

My doctor kept using my LMP to tell me how far along I was and I kept telling him the correct date. After the u/s I couldn't hold back with an "I told you so" HA!

I should have done what you did Pixie and just lied.
    Jenny C wrote: »
    I should have done what you did Pixie and just lied.

Yeah, I ended up fessing it up once I got to know my midwife a bit and realized that she actually trusted me to know my own body.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Cramping in the first few weeks past implantation is very common. I had cramping for a few weeks in each pregnancy. Many women report it. It usually starts just before the first missed period (so that you feel like you're about to get your period, which never shows up) and can continue for a few weeks after that.

It's normal.

Thank you for this. I haven't had cramping since I missed my period, but I have had a little bit of pink on the tissue, which has me worried. Nothing has ever been on the panty liner though.
    kg91308 wrote: »

It's normal.

Thank you for this. I haven't had cramping since I missed my period, but I have had a little bit of pink on the tissue, which has me worried. Nothing has ever been on the panty liner though.

You're probably fine, but I'd call the doctor's office and let them know this. I had pink on the tissue at about 5 or six weeks and they told me to come in that day.

I was in a panic because I really thought they were just going to say, "nah - nothing to worry about". It turned out that it was nothing, but I think you should call about ANY bleeding.
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I started going in for prenatal visits at 8-9 weeks both times. 12 weeks seems like kind of late to me, at least for around here.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    kg91308 wrote: »

It's normal.

I would call the doctor about ANY bleeding. It's not normal, but doesn't mean doom either. I bled a tiny amount in a couple of my pregnancies and everything turned out fine.
    I had a miscarriage.
    I'm so, so sorry.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    I am sorry.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I'm very sorry.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • DelmaDelma connecticutRegistered Users Posts: 1,121
    I'm very sorry for your loss
    I'm so sorry to hear that.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I'm so sorry to hear that.
    ehLB.jpg
  • bushyheadbushyhead Registered Users Posts: 1,676
    I'm so sorry. (((HUGS)))
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • RheannaRheanna KentuckyRegistered Users Posts: 2,614
    I'm so sorry to hear that. :(
    DPTFm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file