CurlTalk

Whitney interview w/ Oprah

curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
I just turned this on and have a question. Whitney is explaining how she was doing drugs. Now bear with me here because I'm kind of naive when it comes to drug use. Whitney states she was NOT doing crack but WAS doing cocaine...ROCK cocaine as she so specifically stated. Isn't rock cocaine CRACK? Don't get me wrong I love Whitney and is an music icon.I'm really happy that she's better and deserves a comeback. But I think she's sugarcoating the fact that she was a crackhead.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

Comments

• TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Hee!

No, crack is a combination of cocaine mixed in with other fillers. It's been "watered down" with other drugs and chemicals.

Cocaine is straight up "pure" or mostly pure. Less crap mixed into the drug. Also it's more expensive because finding "pure" stuff is hard to find AND is supposedly better than the cheap-y stuff.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    *LC* wrote: »
    if i do recall correctly, in whitney's old diane sawyer interview she stated, "crack is wack... and crack is cheap." so yeah, she didn't do the cheap stuff, lol. i suppose i'd get the good stuff if i were rich and did drugs, too. :toothy7:

HAHAHAHAHA! *wipes tears*

Really? Someone actually said that in public???
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Man, from "I Will Always Love You" to "At least I'm not a crackhead."
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    If she's still trying to sell some story that her kind of jacked up addiction was somehow superior to someone else's jacked up addiction, I'm thinking she's not far from a relapse.
    ITA
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    TK* wrote: »
    if i do recall correctly, in whitney's old diane sawyer interview she stated, "crack is wack... and crack is cheap." so yeah, she didn't do the cheap stuff, lol. i suppose i'd get the good stuff if i were rich and did drugs, too. :toothy7:

Wait, you mean you've never heard Whitney's awesome "crack is whack" soundbite? Oh, you must!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »

Wait, you mean you've never heard Whitney's awesome "crack is whack" soundbite? Oh, you must!

I have NOT! Now I'm intrigued! I MUST hear this...my stomach is hurting from laughing by just thinking about it!

Link, somebody? Please?
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Curlysue, thank you for asking that clarification, because my thoughts were similar to yours.

I was such a big Whitney fan! I hope she can resurrect her wonderful career and that she has a bright future ahead of her.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DytJpZguSy2U" class="Popup

Hee, there you go. I don't know how many times co-workers/friends and I have said "crack is wack" to each other some point or another.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    It's crazy that there's a whole generation of people who only know Crazy Whitney and don't remember squeaky clean teenage Whitney.
    More of the interview. I quite like her "Whitney will never be fat" comment, too. Heh.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUrnEcMZQD3E" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMH8T3eeEDs0%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup

She was so in denial. I've always hoped she could pull it together. So much talent going to waste.

Another take on the interview:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp2FnunslP1E%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DytJpZguSy2U" class="Popup

Hee, there you go. I don't know how many times co-workers/friends and I have said "crack is wack" to each other some point or another.

HAHAHAHAHAHA *coughwheeze* HAHAHAHAAHA!

Whitney: "Let's get one thing straight. Crack is CHEAP! I make too much money to smoke crack." And with a straight face...she was genuinely OFFENDED of being lumped into the "crack" category...Oh my...

Thank you, Saira, you just made my day! :tongue5:
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users

HAHAHAHAHAHA *coughwheeze* HAHAHAHAAHA!

Whitney: "Let's get one thing straight. Crack is CHEAP! I make too much money to smoke crack." And with a straight face...she was genuinely OFFENDED of being lumped into the "crack" category...Oh my...

Thank you, Saira, you just made my day! :tongue5:
    The best part was Diane's face while Whitney was saying this! It was all, "Are you crazy, woman?!" She was basically admitting to being a drug user, but only the fancy expensive drugs. Love, love, love that interview!
    Eres o te haces?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I saw the interview and my first thought was - she still loves him. I am unsure if she will make it or not. I hope so. But I am willing to bet her daughter is messed up-I wonder if she got counseling for her too?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    Whitney: "Let's get one thing straight. Crack is CHEAP! I make too much money to smoke crack." And with a straight face...she was genuinely OFFENDED of being lumped into the "crack" category...

This was my thoughts too. I saw the whole "crack is whack" thing and thought "Well if she got better, then she'd fess up". I guess not. Drugs are drugs regardless if they're cheap or expensive! Like comparing apples to apples.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote: »
    If she's still trying to sell some story that her kind of jacked up addiction was somehow superior to someone else's jacked up addiction, I'm thinking she's not far from a relapse.

Sadly, I believe you're exactly right. :cry:

I do remember the Diane Sawyer interview and the "crack is wack" statement. Only an addict will try to think their drug of choice is far superior/less harmful than another addict. It's a clear sign that they are in denial, and haven't truly hit rock bottom where they have come to terms and are honest with themselves and others about their addiction.

I haven't seen the interview with Oprah, but if she is still trying to split hairs on her addiction, she is still struggling heavily with her addiction and even if she is currently clean, she is dangerously close to relapsing. I hope that she continues to get help and she is able to resume her singing career. She had an awesome voice. From her "comeback" concert in Central Park, her voice seemed a shadow of its former self and it was hard to watch. Blaming that on talking too much on Oprah seemed like another attempt to deny reality. Could've been nerves. I don't know. It's all so sad.

I know she has or is about to release a new album. Is this new material or merely a greatest hits compilation? Has anyone here heard it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XyzXyz Posts: 685Registered Users
    Whitney has a new album out. I've heard the single on the radio and have been meaning to check out the whole album.

I want to like Whitney. I really do. I grew up with "clean" Whitney, so I have a strong attachment to "Saving All My Love For You" and all those old songs. But watching her on Oprah, I realized she is a regular old drug addicted liar.

I too, think she was talking about crack rock when she mentioned her addiction. You could tell Oprah thought she was lying too because Oprah kept asking Whitney to clarify. At first, Whitney said all she did was smoke joints laced with cocaine. Oprah was all, "Really!?" That's when Whitney said they would lace marijuana with cocaine in the rock form. Um, that sounds like what lots of crack addicts do. And since Bobby was the one doing the drugs with her, I know Bobby didn't have any elitest feelings about only smoking cocaine in the purest form. She's so full of it.

She also claimed that Bobby never lifted a hand to her because Bobby was afraid of her family, blah, blah. Then she kept telling stories where Bobby slapped her. Bobby spit on her and Bobby slammed her up against a wall. Bobby sounds just plain abusive. Even Oprah said, "A lot of women don't think it's abuse if they can say they guy didn't punch or hit them." Oprah kept trying to hint that Whitney doesn't make any sense.

The worst part is that they are going to make Bobby Christina talk about this mess. Whitney said she took Bobby Christina to rehab with her because she didn't want to be away from her daughter. I'm sorry, that makes her a terrible mother in my eyes. She's so selfish. Normal adults get depressed in rehab. Why would Whitney make her teenage daughter go through that just to make her feel less lonely? And why doesn't anybody in Whitney's circle tell her the truth about herself?
    wow... how did she get into drugs anyhow? I'd assume Bobby Brown. I never knew what she saw in him. Maybe it was the drugs.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    I don't remember her talking w/ a lisp. Not sure if
    it was the acoustics in the theater? :dontknow:

I'm not an expert, but I thought that if you're an recovering addict.. even just a recovering drug addict, any kind of alcohol is a no-no? She told Oprah that she drinks.

Her daughter is adorable... but I have to ask: Why no braces?

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    +1
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Her daughter is adorable... but I have to ask: Why no braces?

Yes, why no braces? Why wouldn't they do that for her?

Bobbi Kristina is 15. I fear for her.

bobbi_kristina.jpg
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    whitney is revealing a lot about her personal life. i sort of wish she wouldn't talk so much about the bobby stuff since he's not there to defend himself. it might all be true but it seems a bit one-sided. she talks about him being alcoholic, spitting on her, etc....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Wow, I got a lot different things out of the interview than a lot of you all.

Really, I'm gonna let her prove it in the living. I think her voice sounded great. A little diminished which would be expected with the smoking and aging and generally not taking care of it like she should have. She looked SO much better than when she was all strung out and skin and bones.

And for braces? Maybe she didn't want it fixed? It's also possible that since it's obviously inherited there may be something that would be preventing fixing that without a long process and pain. Personally if my kid was ok with it and her teeth were otherwise pretty set, I wouldn't worry about it. Braces SUCK!

As for her treatment choices, honestly those are up to the person and the program. I really think her drug use was wrapped up in Bobbi. It doesn't stop the addiction from following her by any means but being away from the person you did those things with and who you got them from and the associations there, it helps a lot.

Eh, other than the "preachiness" of the interview I enjoyed it. But everyone has got to find their strength somewhere. I loved Whitney as a kid and wish her all the best and am keeping hopes up for her. I think she's still dealing with everything, it is like she said a one day at a time process.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    It's crazy that there's a whole generation of people who only know Crazy Whitney and don't remember squeaky clean teenage Whitney.

I read that this was the doing of her manager. She really wasn't the squeaky clean teenage Whitney she portrayed.

I think she was attracted to Bobby, because he was like her. I don't think he infuenced her to do the drugs. She was doing it on her own. Not that you said this, but I'm just adding to my thoughts here.

With Bobby, she could be herself, which was self-destructed.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    Wow, I got a lot different things out of the interview than a lot of you all.

Really, I'm gonna let her prove it in the living. I think her voice sounded great. A little diminished which would be expected with the smoking and aging and generally not taking care of it like she should have. She looked SO much better than when she was all strung out and skin and bones.

And for braces? Maybe she didn't want it fixed? It's also possible that since it's obviously inherited there may be something that would be preventing fixing that without a long process and pain. Personally if my kid was ok with it and her teeth were otherwise pretty set, I wouldn't worry about it. Braces SUCK!

As for her treatment choices, honestly those are up to the person and the program. I really think her drug use was wrapped up in Bobbi. It doesn't stop the addiction from following her by any means but being away from the person you did those things with and who you got them from and the associations there, it helps a lot.

Eh, other than the "preachiness" of the interview I enjoyed it. But everyone has got to find their strength somewhere. I loved Whitney as a kid and wish her all the best and am keeping hopes up for her. I think she's still dealing with everything, it is like she said a one day at a time process.
    Having jacked up teeth is more than just a cosmetic issue. It causes all kinds of problems that only get worse as you age.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    She is a terrible mother. She wants her daughter to go into singing and she wants to groom her. For what!? To be a crackhead? She took her daughter to rehab? This is a woman who is using her daughter to comfort herself.

I watched about 2 mins of the interview and couldn't take any more. WH sounds delusional, and I couldn't take Oprah sitting there just smiling at her when Oprah knows she's nuts. Her raspy voice was hard to listen to too. Whatever she's smoking has ruined her throat and voice.

She's looking for sympathy in all the wrong places.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor