Home Color Kits - need help

anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
I have gotten my hair colored and highlighted for years in a salon. It is basically a medium golden brown (?) with some subtle highlights. I get it colored every 5 weeks and highlighted about 4 times a year.

I really want to try to color it on my own, but I'm nervous about ruining it. I'm afraid that it may turn orangy/red/brassy and get even more dried out.

Does anyone know of a good home color kit that is fairly easy with good results? Is henna better than regular drugstore brands? Does anyone know of natural brands, or ones with no/low peroxide?

Thanks for your help.
Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
2b-c/F/ii
:dog:

Comments

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    anniemae wrote: »
    I have gotten my hair colored and highlighted for years in a salon. It is basically a medium golden brown (?) with some subtle highlights. I get it colored every 5 weeks and highlighted about 4 times a year.

    I really want to try to color it on my own, but I'm nervous about ruining it. I'm afraid that it may turn orangy/red/brassy and get even more dried out.

    Does anyone know of a good home color kit that is fairly easy with good results? Is henna better than regular drugstore brands? Does anyone know of natural brands, or ones with no/low peroxide?

    Thanks for your help.

    Yes, Color by Robert Craig. www.robertcraig.com
    It is very gentle, no peroxide or ammonia. Are you trying to lighten (other than the highlights)? It won't lighten hair. And you need to choose a color about 3 shades lighter and it goes darker on porous/treated hair. As for the highlights, he does sell a highlighting kit, I have used it with good results. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, CurliLocks.

    I don't want to lighten; I just want to keep the color that I have now with possibly some highlights.

    I will look at that website. It sounds good. :)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    I color my own at home using drug store brand because of accessibility issues (really thinking about Robert Craig next time!). The brand I go for is very gentle for boxed color, but to be honest I've never lightened/used anything lighter than a dark brown.

    I've used L'Oreal Natural Match and it works out fairly easy and is Ammonia free, which having sensitivity issues makes all the difference for me. I find that the color comes out exactly as it is advertised as- which I find never happens with other boxed color for me.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    anniemae wrote: »
    I have gotten my hair colored and highlighted for years in a salon. It is basically a medium golden brown (?) with some subtle highlights. I get it colored every 5 weeks and highlighted about 4 times a year.

    I really want to try to color it on my own, but I'm nervous about ruining it. I'm afraid that it may turn orangy/red/brassy and get even more dried out.

    Does anyone know of a good home color kit that is fairly easy with good results? Is henna better than regular drugstore brands? Does anyone know of natural brands, or ones with no/low peroxide?

    Thanks for your help.

    Yes, Color by Robert Craig. www.robertcraig.com
    It is very gentle, no peroxide or ammonia. Are you trying to lighten (other than the highlights)? It won't lighten hair. And you need to choose a color about 3 shades lighter and it goes darker on porous/treated hair. As for the highlights, he does sell a highlighting kit, I have used it with good results. :)


    Hey I just noticed on his website, front and center he gives a shout out to NC.com, pretty sweet! Is his conditioner really highly recommended here though? Have you ever used it w/ success CurliLocks? It looks cg... I am thinking about doing Robert Craig next time, and am looking for a really dark brown/ brown black color- does this mean I should look for a medium to lighter dark brown, as you say it always turns out three shades darker than what you expect? Have you ever done his color over other color treatments? Thanks for letting me ramble :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    Anyone?
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone know how long the Robert Craig haircolor lasts? And can you put this over previously colored hair? Thanks.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    aislin wrote: »

    Hey I just noticed on his website, front and center he gives a shout out to NC.com, pretty sweet! Is his conditioner really highly recommended here though? Have you ever used it w/ success CurliLocks? It looks cg... I am thinking about doing Robert Craig next time, and am looking for a really dark brown/ brown black color- does this mean I should look for a medium to lighter dark brown, as you say it always turns out three shades darker than what you expect? Have you ever done his color over other color treatments? Thanks for letting me ramble :)

    His Conditioner meets and exceeds requirements for a CG conditioner. See laurabeth's list too! :) I have used it for over 12 years now, nothing I've ever tried compares.

    You can use this over other color, but not henna (or metallic dyes).

    What is your natural color (closest RC swatch)? Which color do you want to achieve (swatch)? We'll go from there. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    anniemae wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the Robert Craig haircolor lasts? And can you put this over previously colored hair? Thanks.
    Mine lasts until it grows out. If I'm in the sun too much without protection, I have to refresh the length every few months (same as any color). :p

    Yes, you can use it over other brands (just not henna or metallic dyes).

    Which color swatch best matches your natural color? Which color do you want to be? LMK and I can help choose. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Hi CurliLocks,

    I think my haircolor now is similar to #7 (not really sure). There are some pictures of me at http://public.fotki.com/anniemae22/my-hair/

    I would like to maintain this color, so would I use #7 or something lighter?

    Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it very much. (I am kind of nervous about doing this - I never did a home kit before).
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Are you covering gray or just want to perk up the color? :) Why do you color?

    #7 does look close to yours, but I would try lighter first. Unless you are not covering gray, then you could use 7 for a shorter time.

    But if you have gray, you will need to leave it on longer (20-60 min, depending on the resistance of the gray). So I would start with #18 golden blonde. I believe banjocurl uses 18 and gets a similar color as yours. Better to start lighter and leave it on longer if needed, than use too dark a color.

    Be sure to do a strand test as this will let you know how long to leave it on for the amount of color you want. :)

    The Color is so easy to use, just mix with water! It's not really runny if you shake it really well. No smell either. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Are you covering gray or just want to perk up the color? :) Why do you color?

    :)

    I have very little gray on the top of my head. I color because my natural hair is darker, and I've always liked it a little lighter. My real color is more between #5 and #6.

    I will try #18 - I think that is a good color for me.

    I will definitely do a test strand first and I'll let you know how it goes!!

    Thank you!!

    BTW, I love your new puppy!!
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Uh-oh. Color by Robert Craig will not lighten your hair like regular dyes, that's why it's so gentle. So the #18 will give it some warmer color, but it won't really lighten it. :( Didn't realize you were trying to lighten.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    That's okay. I'm still going to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Please do. I think you'll like the color enhancement anyway. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    aislin wrote: »

    Hey I just noticed on his website, front and center he gives a shout out to NC.com, pretty sweet! Is his conditioner really highly recommended here though? Have you ever used it w/ success CurliLocks? It looks cg... I am thinking about doing Robert Craig next time, and am looking for a really dark brown/ brown black color- does this mean I should look for a medium to lighter dark brown, as you say it always turns out three shades darker than what you expect? Have you ever done his color over other color treatments? Thanks for letting me ramble :)

    His Conditioner meets and exceeds requirements for a CG conditioner. See laurabeth's list too! :) I have used it for over 12 years now, nothing I've ever tried compares.

    You can use this over other color, but not henna (or metallic dyes).

    What is your natural color (closest RC swatch)? Which color do you want to achieve (swatch)? We'll go from there. :)


    Hmm I think I'll try the conditioner when I order his color :thumbleft:.

    From the swatches I was sent, my natural roots look a little darker than 6 but don't really compare to any of his swatches exactly- the length would be about a # 6 if it weren't died with red undertones. Right now it's died at a color between 4 and 31 I *think*, but I'd like to keep the current color or even experiment with going a tad darker.

    I've attached pictures from this past week that might help explain what the current color is- any help is really appreciated! His color just sounds so gentle that I'd really hate to pass it up when it's time to color again in a few months. Thanks for everything!!!

    I also wanted to add that all the "dark brown" kits I've ever tried were always lighter that what I have here- this color was a "blackest black" color- I think it has something to do with the way my hair takes to color. Although I'm not looking for jet black, I'd like a natural looking black, or keep something close to this color here. I think because I have a lot of red naturally in my hair, the brown shades tend to pick up on that when it's died and even the dark browns turn out a little more on the yellow/orange spectrum because of that. If that makes any sense :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    In the pics, your hair looks like #3 Chocolate Brown. :) Beautiful color!

    Are you covering any gray, or just coloring for change/enhancement? If you are covering gray, you might need to leave it on longer and it could get too dark with a darker brown. If not, you could use the #6 Golden Brown. Since your hair pulls red and if you don't mind that, you might try it. Even if you are covering gray, if you are OK with going a little darker, it might still work.

    Yes, try the Conditioner! Great as rinse out and/or leave-in. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    I'm not covering any gray, just for change. I don't mind getting too dark. I try to stay away from the red actually- when I was going lighter (because the red was way more noticeable) I'd always get the ash type colors. I was reviewing the swatches last night after posting and thinking about trying the "natural black" and experiment with going a little darker. Do you think it would be too drastic of a result? I'm kind of having fun with the idea, but I'm not entirely too sure of how it would turn out- it seems at home colors are always trial and error for me :).

    Thanks for helping me CurliLocks!

    Sorry Annimae for the guano :happy7:

    CurliLocks wrote: »
    In the pics, your hair looks like #3 Chocolate Brown. :) Beautiful color!

    Are you covering any gray, or just coloring for change/enhancement? If you are covering gray, you might need to leave it on longer and it could get too dark with a darker brown. If not, you could use the #6 Golden Brown. Since your hair pulls red and if you don't mind that, you might try it. Even if you are covering gray, if you are OK with going a little darker, it might still work.

    Yes, try the Conditioner! Great as rinse out and/or leave-in. :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    aislin wrote: »
    I'm not covering any gray, just for change. I don't mind getting too dark. I try to stay away from the red actually- when I was going lighter (because the red was way more noticeable) I'd always get the ash type colors. I was reviewing the swatches last night after posting and thinking about trying the "natural black" and experiment with going a little darker. Do you think it would be too drastic of a result? I'm kind of having fun with the idea, but I'm not entirely too sure of how it would turn out- it seems at home colors are always trial and error for me :).

    Thanks for helping me CurliLocks!

    Oh, I thought you died it with the red tones on purpose. I would not go darker than #4 Dark Brown, unless you want to go Goth. If you leave the Color on for up to an hour, it can get very dark.

    If you are really worried about the red, you could use #2 Ash Brown. Not as dark, but it will still be very dark.

    If you ever wanted to add the warm tones back, you can use the Chocolate Brown.

    Just for color reference of how dark they can be, I use #8 or #7 on the roots, and use #7 (the lighter) for the length. The swatch makes them look lighter, they are dark on my hair. check out my pics.

    Whichever way you go, be sure to strand test to see how long you want to leave it on for your perfect amount of color. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    aislin wrote: »
    I'm not covering any gray, just for change. I don't mind getting too dark. I try to stay away from the red actually- when I was going lighter (because the red was way more noticeable) I'd always get the ash type colors. I was reviewing the swatches last night after posting and thinking about trying the "natural black" and experiment with going a little darker. Do you think it would be too drastic of a result? I'm kind of having fun with the idea, but I'm not entirely too sure of how it would turn out- it seems at home colors are always trial and error for me :).



    Thanks for helping me CurliLocks!

    Oh, I thought you died it with the red tones on purpose. I would not go darker than #4 Dark Brown, unless you want to go Goth. If you leave the Color on for up to an hour, it can get very dark.

    If you are really worried about the red, you could use #2 Ash Brown. Not as dark, but it will still be very dark.

    If you ever wanted to add the warm tones back, you can use the Chocolate Brown.

    Just for color reference of how dark they can be, I use #8 or #7 on the roots, and use #7 (the lighter) for the length. The swatch makes them look lighter, they are dark on my hair. check out my pics.

    Whichever way you go, be sure to strand test to see how long you want to leave it on for your perfect amount of color. :)

    Thank you so kindly for the assistance! I think I'm going to try the 4 and do a strand test to see the difference. I am excited to try this out and see whether or not I have a rat's nest on my head like every other time I've been coloring :).

    Do you find the shampoo to be helpful (if you use it) or have you ever? I'm mod cg, but this idea about using a proper poo to go with the water content is an interesting one.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    aislin wrote: »
    Thank you so kindly for the assistance! I think I'm going to try the 4 and do a strand test to see the difference. I am excited to try this out and see whether or not I have a rat's nest on my head like every other time I've been coloring :).

    Do you find the shampoo to be helpful (if you use it) or have you ever? I'm mod cg, but this idea about using a proper poo to go with the water content is an interesting one.

    Yes, I do use his shampoos. I use the one that comes with the Color right after coloring, and sometimes the week after. I use the one for Hard water before coloring, and anytime I need a sulfate shampoo (buildup or something). Although they contain sulfates, they don't strip my hair or color, and they are good for removing/preventing buildup from hard water minerals.

    I think you'll feel a difference with this Color, as it is gentle and doesn't fry your hair. Keep me posted on how it goes. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file