Thinking of transitioning

LadyBLadyB Registered Users Posts: 6
I have long permed hair but I just recently had a baby and I havent permed it since last september. so I have been dealing with my new growth by blowing and wearing my common summer wet and wavy hair that consists of wetting and leaving in condition and air drying. my hair is 1/2 down my back and I have about 7 inches of new growth. I dont want to do the "big chop" at all, I dont think I can part with my length. I also do like my straight hair but I also like to have a little more body that I get with my natural hair than with my permed hair, and I do know that I can always blow/flat iron my hair when I get the urge to. Any suggestions for a 1/4 natural 3/4 permed hair??
Lady

Comments

• Sweet_AmbrosiaSweet_Ambrosia Registered Users Posts: 19
    Have you tried wearing protective styles?
    I find that it's an easier way to manage the different textures.
    As far as styles you could try braid outs, twist outs, bantu knots, buns etc..

HTH

http://www.motowngirl.com/how_to.php
    *Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
    *100 Natural 3c/4a
    ♥Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08♥
  • LadyBLadyB Registered Users Posts: 6
    Sweet - what about products to use? I need help with that also right now I just use conditioner, do you have any suggestions on what I could use on dry hair to keep the curls going?
    Lady
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    Here's a pretty good resource I think you might like.

www.motowngirl.com

She has tons of info about transitioning, hairstyles with how to's, products, recipies, etc.

hth
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    Yes Motowngirl's site is definitely the way to go when starting out as a transitioning newbie. I have already transitioned, and I still find my self going back to that site, time and time again.

When I first started gowing my relaxer out, which was over a year ago, I found myself strugglng to deal with 2 different textures too, so that is why I would wear my hair in a low ponytail or a bun all the time. Around 6 months I saw a ton of new growth, and my hair was about 65 percent curly, with some wavy strands still appeared on my hair.

Now around 11 months my hair, my hair was 100 pecent curly all over, with no wavy strands at all. And now over a year since I stopped relaxing my hair, my hair is healthier, has grown halfway down my back, and consisys of all 3b full-bodied curls.

I never had the BC done because I choose not to lose any my length. When I had first started transitioning my hair was shoulder length. So over time, I educated myself on how to repair the damage that relaxers had done to my hair, and then found a regimen that worked for both my hair texture and hairtype. And then the rest was history! :wink:
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
    thanks for your input, that helps me alot. do you straighten your hair with a flat iron or blow at all?
    Lady
    and thanks curlyb
    Lady
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    LadyB, I don't straighten my hair at all anymore with a flat iron or even with a hand-held blow dryer and a round brush. My hair only gets heat applied to it when I sit underneath one of those big hooded dryers, when I Deep Treat my hair once a month.

I do however know that some curlies like switching back and forth, from curly to straight, so if that is what you are interested in doing, then I definitely won't be mad at 'cha!
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
    thanks Syb, I think I may switch it back and forth, but only when it is too cold to wet and wave, but I am not sure yet, we will see what happens.
    Lady

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file