What books make you want to go and live there?

wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm reading "The Family Man" by Elinor Lipman, and I wish I could just enter that world and hang out with those people. I often feel this way about her books.

Which books make you want to walk inside them and live for awhile?

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert made me want to plan a trip to Italy! :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    Every time I read a Jane Austen book I get a burning desire to live in that time period. The dresses, the cariages, the dances (sigh)
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Narnia.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Anne of Green Gables.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm reading "The Family Man" by Elinor Lipman, and I wish I could just enter that world and hang out with those people. I often feel this way about her books.

Which books make you want to walk inside them and live for awhile?

Outlander, but only if I can have young Jamie.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' by John Berendt made me want to go live in, or at least visit Savannah...which is kinda tough being on the other side of the world :tongue8:
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    mdrb wrote: »
    'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' by John Berendt made me want to go live in, or at least visit Savannah...which is kinda tough being on the other side of the world :tongue8:

I know, right? Except when I go there I want to hang out with that crowd.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Jane Austen (any)
    The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
    Anne of Green Gables
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Loch Dubh from M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I really wanted to go to Hogwarts.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »

I did too!!

Did you know that in the US its Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?? I was flabbergasted when a friend came back from England with a copy of HP and the Philosopher's Stone for me.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
    kenzie! wrote: »

I did too!!

Did you know that in the US its Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?? I was flabbergasted when a friend came back from England with a copy of HP and the Philosopher's Stone for me.

Really? Why's that?

I did too!!

No idea. But its weird, isn't it??

Really? Why's that?

I have no idea!! It's weird though, isn't it?

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have wanted to live in Middle Earth since 7th grade. I still do. I know I would love it there. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

I did too!!

Really? Why's that?

Someone (probably religious) must have taken offense from the title.

Jeep, Middle Earth would be awesome! Me and Frodo would be bestest friends ;)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

I doubt that's it- if they were pandering to religious fanatics, "sorcerer" woud have been more offensive. I'm guessing they just thought they new title would have more appeal for American audiences. (Which is still pretty stupid, IMO...)
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • lizzlebelizzlelizzlebelizzle Posts: 287Registered Users
    Gemini13 wrote: »

I doubt that's it- if they were pandering to religious fanatics, "sorcerer" woud have been more offensive. I'm guessing they just thought they new title would have more appeal for American audiences. (Which is still pretty stupid, IMO...)

Gemini is right -- the publishers thought that American kids wouldn't want to read a book with the world "Philosopher" in the title, so they changed it to Sorcerer to make it sound more action-packed and magical.

Gemini is right -- the publishers thought that American kids wouldn't want to read a book with the world "Philosopher" in the title, so they changed it to Sorcerer to make it sound more action-packed and magical.

Really? Hmm, so it's marketing then? Does the film have Sorcerer or Philosopher in the title? Also is it called the philosophers stone in the book or the sorcerer's?
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    Definitely Saving Francesca and Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. They remind me so much of the kids at my school :) The Alex Rider series made me feel like being a spy for a while :read2: . I only got to read the first two Harry Potter books, but they were awesome :)

And about the title...I've seen it as both here in Canada, but the first one I saw was "Philosopher's". I've seen that more often than "Sorcerer's" Does Wikipedia mention anything about it?
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

Really? Hmm, so it's marketing then? Does the film have Sorcerer or Philosopher in the title? Also is it called the philosophers stone in the book or the sorcerer's?

Sorcerer for everything. Which leads to an interesting question that I'd never thought of. It's easy enough to "translate" books this way (and they often do translate from the Queen's English to American English, esp. with commercial fiction and children's books). But what about the movies? Did they have to film a scene two different ways anytime they said sorcerer/philosopher? And then put out an English edition as well as an American one?
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Sorcerer's stone in the book AND the movie. I would've read it even if it was the philosopher's stone.

Sorcerer's stone in the book AND the movie. I would've read it even if it was the philosopher's stone.

That must have been pain when they filming it.
  • anonymous_29030anonymous_29030 Posts: 619Registered Users
    Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations make me want to move to India.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Narnia.

It's from my childhood. What can I say?
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have wanted to live in Middle Earth since 7th grade. I still do. I know I would love it there. : )

Oh that's a good one.. I could totally see living there too in a little semi-subterranean tree root house. :toothy8:

I also loved Anne of Green Gables and wanted to be her friend and live in her times too.

Another one I loved and always will, are the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear).. although the story takes place during the Ice Age, it seems like that would have been an amazing time to be living in.. when humanity was still young, raw, and close to nature. I totally wanted to be wild-woman Ayla..

And yet another one book I could live in (well not a specific book but a set of myths) is Asgard with the Norse gods.. I could see hanging with Odin, and Thor, and Freya, the Valkyries, the Norns, etc.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • StormVixenStormVixen Posts: 14Registered Users
    Jean Auel's Earth's Children series...

(lol, i didnt see post above before posting this :))
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users

I did too!!

Really? Why's that?

lots of books in the UK are titled differently than the US, not sure why. Georgia Nicholson series is an example of another set of books with different titles.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeah. I always found it bizarre they changed the US version. I mean, in the old legends, its always been the 'philosopher's' stone. Because Nicolas Flamel was an alchemist, not a sorcerer.

I always loved the idea of Inkheart. Its not set in another world, but the ability to bring books to life (and the world's inside them) is very very cool.

Of course I'd like to go to Hogwarts :D

Any fictional book set in Medieval times would be fun (for a while) too :D
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Lord of the Rings and anything by anne rice.
  • NickalNackNickalNack Posts: 29Registered Users
    Wow... that's actually a good question. The only one I can think of right now is Harry Potter. Most other books I'm left content with being in my own mundane world compared to the stories. I wonder why that is? I guess I should read more books (I have read more than Rowling, btw). I've wanted to read Jane Austen and Anne Rice but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not sure if manga counts, but most manga I read I do end up wishing I were in their world. Except maybe Naruto. Too violent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file