At a loss for what to do about dry ends

TheCynicalModelTheCynicalModel Posts: 5Registered Users
Okay, so I'm trying to grow my hair out and for the most part things have been going pretty well -- the simpler my routine, the happier my hair. However, I've also noticed that my ends are unusually dry and frazzled. I've tried deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, wearing protective styles and oiling my ends but nothing seems to really work. I've also tried clipping my ends more frequently (every 3 months instead of every 4-5 months), but my ends are still a brittle, matted mess.

Has anyone had the same problems or has any advice as to what I can do to remedy the situation?

Comments

• mzzdymezmzzdymez Posts: 29Registered Users
    Try Baggying your ends and that should help
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    Your ends could be dry bc of lack of moisture or bc of lack of protein.

Since that is the oldest part- it may have sustained some damge.

I would try a hard protein treatment- just on the ends to see what happens and then use extra dollops of
    moisturizing conditioner on them while wet when you are doing your washing and styling and then seal the ends with a good oil.

Also the baggying sounds good.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Maybe they are so damaed that they need a protein treatment, so try that. It might also just be so damaged that it needs a trim. Usually, DTing my ends really intensively works well, so I don't know what else you can do... :(
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    Castor Oil keeps my hair and ends moisturized for days until I decide to wash and condition my hair for like 8-10 days.What products are you using for styling?
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Posts: 295Registered Users

I would try a hard protein treatment- just on the ends to see what happens and then use extra dollops of
    moisturizing conditioner on them while wet when you are doing your washing and styling and then seal the ends with a good oil.

Also the baggying sounds good.

Can you give some examples of a "hard proteing treatment" I am having the same problem only mine are also goings straight.
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Posts: 607Registered Users
    Aphogee is a hard protein treatment...i just did it yesterday ;) keeps my really curly and healthy HTH
    3B~Fine, porus, and really long
    HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB :toothy10:
    :farao:Proud To Be Egyptian!
    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)
    Aphogee is a hard protein treatment...i just did it yesterday ;) keeps my really curly and healthy HTH

ahhh thank you so much. I will give it a try
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
  • Heidi_234Heidi_234 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Try putting conditioner on your dry hair (make it practically wet with conditioner), let it sit for a while (I usually leave it in for an hour, but less time might do the trick too), and then rinse it out. It make my ends really really soft and moisturizied, way more than with regular conditioner use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hello Curly Haze,

and to the OP..

I second that Aphogee is a really good hard protein treatment. :joker:
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

• TheCynicalModelTheCynicalModel Posts: 5Registered Users
    **Sorry if this reply seems a little late. I didn't count on senior year being this hectic!**

I tried baggying and that worked out great (thanks to everyone's suggestions!), but I think in the future I won't wear my hair "out" as much as I have lately -- I notice that my ends tend to knot and tangle more when I do. So I'm going to go back to wearing protective styles and see what happens.

As far as my hair routine, depending on how I style it that week, I do a conditioner wash with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner and an ACV rinse every 2 weeks. I follow that by deep conditioning with LeKair Cholesterol Plus and then finishing it all off with Cantu's Shea Butter leave-in conditioner and coconut or olive oil (if I have any available).
  • VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users

how often should we use Aphogee Protein..is it every 6 weeks & do you cover all your hair with it each time?
    http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:
    I also wanted to add that some people use Nexxus Keraphix (sp) I think.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

how often should we use Aphogee Protein..is it every 6 weeks & do you cover all your hair with it each time?

Back in the day when I had chemicals in my hair (either a relaxer or color and especially when I did both) my stylist would use the Aphogee once a month to prevent breakage.

If your hair is healthy once every six weeks all over is fine. Too often and the intense protein and resulting dryness will cause breakage.

If you have a chemical in that you maintain- then, once a month, all over.

If you are growing out a chemical I would concentrate on the delicate parts first and then work your way to all over application. Probably every 3-4 weeks.

If you hair is really damaged from bleach or chemical then you may be able to do it every third week until it gets back to health.

You must follow the directions to a t when you use this. Don't mess you hair when it is dry or else it will cause breakage. It stinks and your hair will be hard. And you must follow up with moisture afterwards.

HTH
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

ok,

this may sound strange, but, the best thing for dry hair is your scalps natural sebum (oil that our skin produces), so what I will do sometimes is take my ends bcz my hair is long enough now and rub them into my scalp or massage my scalp with my fingers and then rub the oil from my fingers onto my ends.

I don't know if anyone else does this but it seems to work for me.
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    my hair loves protein.
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users

Back in the day when I had chemicals in my hair (either a relaxer or color and especially when I did both) my stylist would use the Aphogee once a month to prevent breakage.

If your hair is healthy once every six weeks all over is fine. Too often and the intense protein and resulting dryness will cause breakage.

If you have a chemical in that you maintain- then, once a month, all over.

If you are growing out a chemical I would concentrate on the delicate parts first and then work your way to all over application. Probably every 3-4 weeks.

If you hair is really damaged from bleach or chemical then you may be able to do it every third week until it gets back to health.

You must follow the directions to a t when you use this. Don't mess you hair when it is dry or else it will cause breakage. It stinks and your hair will be hard. And you must follow up with moisture afterwards.

HTH

What Aphogee treatment are you talking about? There must be a few different protein treatments they make, because I use one as a weekly treatment as per instructions on the bottle and it seems only so-so. Sounds like what you're talking about packs a big punch, would like something more effective :)

Thanks!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• msamuelsmsamuels Posts: 113Registered Users

____

This may make sence. I don't use protein alot. If so it's very light. I think I'm protein sensitive, but I notice my ends, tend to look thin/ see through on some parts. I keep thinking they are split ends and keep triming them. Some breaks off when dry, but the rest stay and is still strong even when I comb.
    Hmm. I;m wondering if I should try this. Which strong protein would you recommend? I currently do a Joico KPac Sun therapy treatment (it's noted more for moisture, but it contains the KPac keratien ingredients. My hair doens't break much with this, but my ends still have some issues. Any suggestions?
    Michelle. 4a/4b,3c
    "I am more than the limits of my body...because Christ is my soul. The soul outlives the body and certainly is more powerful and impactful."
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Okay, so I'm trying to grow my hair out and for the most part things have been going pretty well -- the simpler my routine, the happier my hair. However, I've also noticed that my ends are unusually dry and frazzled. I've tried deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, wearing protective styles and oiling my ends but nothing seems to really work. I've also tried clipping my ends more frequently (every 3 months instead of every 4-5 months), but my ends are still a brittle, matted mess.

Has anyone had the same problems or has any advice as to what I can do to remedy the situation?

Which oils have you been using ? Most oils penetrate the hair shaft and therefore do not moisturize hair.
    Actually the only oils which are known to penetrate the hair shaft and therefore moisturize are coconut oil , olive oil and avocado oil.
    Coconut oil being the best for moisturizing, followed by olive oil.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Or try this:

1 egg yolk
    1/2 cup good quality olive oil
    A few drops of jasmine oil (optional)

Mix it all and apply to your hair and scalp. Put on a plastic shower cap and leave on for about 40 minutes.
    Wash and style as usual.
    Repeat once a week for a few weeks.

Hope it helps

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file