best stuff for flawless, acne free skin

Comments

• LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SuZen wrote:
    I had bad skin for many year. In my mid-30s I got a precription for Retin-A, which helped a lot. I finally got completely clear skin by adding benzoyl peroxide. I use Retin-A in the evening and BPO in the morning. Now I almost never have a breakout, and when I do (maybe once in 3 months) they are tiny and go away fast.

Plus I have almost no wrinkles, thanks to the Retin-A.

I also follow this regime and it has been AMAZING for my skin.

However, I would recommend that you make an appt. with a dermatologist. They will help you figure out which products will work best with your skin. Like someone else said, what works for one person, may not work for another.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    I use Retin-A once in a while and it's really drying.
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I use Retin-A once in a while and it's really drying.

Oh yes. It certainly is. My skin is tough! It actually doesn't get dry. My skin is still amazingly oily for being over 50.
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    AngieCurls wrote:
    mafalda wrote:
    Queen Helene's Mint Julep is great.

I love that stuff too! I bought it in 6th grade and loved it since. I've tried so many things, and right now I'm using Dr. Murad's Acne Complex and the mint julep once or twice a year. I've tried drugstore stuff, but it's done nothing. I love the AC, my skin has cleared up soo much!

:shock:

Oopps! I meant once or twice a WEEK! :lol:
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    AngieCurls wrote:
    AngieCurls wrote:
    mafalda wrote:
    Queen Helene's Mint Julep is great.

I love that stuff too! I bought it in 6th grade and loved it since. I've tried so many things, and right now I'm using Dr. Murad's Acne Complex and the mint julep once or twice a year. I've tried drugstore stuff, but it's done nothing. I love the AC, my skin has cleared up soo much!

:shock:

Oopps! I meant once or twice a WEEK! :lol:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Okay. I thought I was using it way too often... :lol:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote:
    For the record, I've had no breakouts from jojoba oil and my skin breaks out extremely easily. It is one of the best products for the skin because it closely mimics the natural oils our skin produces.

What is your skin type? And how do you use the jojoba oil?
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    Exfoliating with good old baking soda maybe twice a week works wonders for me. I use lemon juice as an astringent. More importantly I find that it is your diet and plenty of water that promotes healthy skin. Not stressing also does wonders. Best of luck to you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used Proactive (their commercials get to me!), and although it was great for controlling blackheads, it was just way too expensive, and I was still getting the occasional breakout. Not worth it if you ask me.

I've also used Murads Acne skin care line. Totally smelled like nail polish remover. The cleanser was nice, and the exfoliating lotion worked well. It seemed to clear up my skin better than Proactive, but did nothing for blackheads.

Although I've been scolded for using such a harsh exfoliater, I love St Ives Apricot Scrub for blemish prone skin. I use it every couple of days and in between I use regular Dove bar soap.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CurlellaCurlella Posts: 38Registered Users
    http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/blacksoap2.htm

looks disgusting, but it solved my problems!

it can be terribly drying, so I don't suggest using it more than 1-2 days a week if your skin dries easily (mine does!) but it's helped me, my mother, a few of her coworkers, and a friend of mine out A LOT with acne, acne scarring, blackheads, and redness.

Miracle in an ugly chunk of soap!

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1295/notperfectskincc6.jpg
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7226/skinskinog0.jpg
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/916/zoomut8.jpg

excuse the braces, bloodshot eyes..etc! I used to have horrible breakouts on my cheeks.. like one pimpe ontop of another (Ew) and my scarring was a lot worse. This has helped TONS! the bars last a very, very long time if you just use them for your face.

The women it helped with all hispanic and african american so.. I'm not sure how it would work on caucasian skin? or if that matters. Just extra information ^_^/
    Address : http://public.fotki.com/curlella/
    password: there is no password anymore!
  • gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    Curlella wrote:
    http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/blacksoap2.htm

looks disgusting, but it solved my problems!

it can be terribly drying, so I don't suggest using it more than 1-2 days a week if your skin dries easily (mine does!) but it's helped me, my mother, a few of her coworkers, and a friend of mine out A LOT with acne, acne scarring, blackheads, and redness.

Miracle in an ugly chunk of soap!

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1295/notperfectskincc6.jpg
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7226/skinskinog0.jpg
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/916/zoomut8.jpg

excuse the braces, bloodshot eyes..etc! I used to have horrible breakouts on my cheeks.. like one pimpe ontop of another (Ew) and my scarring was a lot worse. This has helped TONS! the bars last a very, very long time if you just use them for your face.

The women it helped with all hispanic and african american so.. I'm not sure how it would work on caucasian skin? or if that matters. Just extra information ^_^/

Wow, your skin is beautiful! So, using that black soap purchased from that site helped clear and prevent acne?
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curlella, you have lovely skin :) I'd be wary of bar soaps, though. The ingredients that keep them solid are highly comedogenic, although obviously things are working out for Curlella.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Black soap has been raved about for it's ability to clear up problem skin. I've heard about it many times before.

The ingredients that keep them solid ARE comedogenic, but if you're using the suds from the soap, and not rubbing the actual bar on your face, you're getting less of a transfer. Also, as the bar of soap gets small, and harder to work with, it's better to toss it and switch to a new bar. At that point you're left with less soap, and mostly wax.

I went for years denying bar soaps and using liquid cleansers for many reasons, but I had many skin irritations and allergic reactions. I've switched to Dove bar soap, which I love.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used black soap years ago, and it didn't clear me up. I can't use any soaps on my face. They just seem to clog my pores with waxy junky stuff. I always used detergent-based cleansers, but since I gave up all detergents on my hair, I tried it on my face too. WOW! I've never been clearer. I use a non-soap non-detergent cleanser made from castille, but which has had it's PH neutralized, so it's very mild and non irritating.
    I used black soap years ago, and it didn't clear me up. I can't use any soaps on my face. They just seem to clog my pores with waxy junky stuff. I always used detergent-based cleansers, but since I gave up all detergents on my hair, I tried it on my face too. WOW! I've never been clearer. I use a non-soap non-detergent cleanser made from castille, but which has had it's PH neutralized, so it's very mild and non irritating.

My skin was it's clearest when I was recently using Dr Bronners on my face, though I ran out and haven't bought new yet. It's pretty drying, but it was worth it for what it did for my skin.

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

So what is the name of the castille cleanser you're using?
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So what is the name of the castille cleanser you're using?

Professional Solutions Wheat Germ Oil Soap. The word soap is misleading, since it doesn't have the high PH of hard soaps, or the wax. It's rather unique. They make a Rose Hip Seed Soap for those with dry skin. It's available through their own website and various other sources, but I buy it here because it's cheaper:

http://www.skincarecentral.biz/skincare-cleansers.html
    Cool, thanks!
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
    I decided to try Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap, since I don't have to order it. We'll see how it goes!
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • relentpersistxrelentpersistx Posts: 34Registered Users
    Philosophy's Purity Made Simple is just amazing. It cleared my skin up pretty quick, and it doesn't break out as much.
    You also need Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel. It works better than any peel I've ever used and cleared up my skin too :]
  • noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    I like Philosophy's Purity Made Simple too. I finally broke down and bought it after reading all the reviews on drugstore.com, and I'm glad I got it. It leaves my skin feeling really clean but not stripped or irritated. For something so simple to use, it really works on keeping skin blemish-free. But now I want to try Redcatwaves' cleanser recommendation! I like great cleansers:D
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    ... I can't tell you that Murad is good stuff, because I think it's crap.

I agree... Murad Acne Complex irritated me so much that my skin started to look almost as bad as it did pre-accutane. I think it's because I'm very sensitive to SA (I've always had major stinging associated with use). I would recommend some sort of BP solution since that's one of the few thinks out there that can actually KILL the bacteria that causes acne, but since you're allergic to it, my personal advice would be to see a dermatologist.

For a long time I searched on-line & tried just about every product someone recommended (included Proactive, which my face basically laughed at) But it wasn't until I saw a dermatologist that my face really saw improvement (plus she specialized in taking care of skin of color, so she really helped me out with the scarring the acne left behind)

Different products work for different skin types, and who better to tell you what product to use than someone who went to school for it...

Hope that helps...
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    For me..less is more.

I try to make my own stuff so I know exactly what and how much goes in. I make my own almost cleansers, ACV toner. That's what I use on a daily basis. Also my own Vit C serums and at night use green cream which is a retinol. The ACV toner has really made my pores smaller and gotten ride of a lot of blackheads.

Also I use tea tree oil mixed with either emu oil and or HA serum which I make myself and use that as a night moisturizer. The tea tree really helps keep any acne away at bay and can be used as a spot treatment also.

Also peels, like a salicylic acid peel can help too. Once a week I clean the pores by placing a hot steamed towel on my face for about 30 seconds or so, that'll draw any dirt and residue out from my pours and then gently wipe it away. As a last step spash some cold water to help close the pores again.
    haha, horrible ugly chunk of soap! :lol:

Actually, my Murad stuff worksreally well! I also love those Biore nose strips. Although it's digusting to see how many clogged pores were on your nose. Thanks for the recs, girls!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Philosophy's Purity Made Simple is just amazing. It cleared my skin up pretty quick, and it doesn't break out as much.
    You also need Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel. It works better than any peel I've ever used and cleared up my skin too :]

I have the 4 steps of this - it seemed to work really well for the first 6 months but then I ran out of the serum and then the face wash and it was about a month before I got replinshed...and now it just does not seem to work as well. I have been getting breakouts but maybe I am just stressed out...who knows....??!!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    natashamck wrote:
    ... I can't tell you that Murad is good stuff, because I think it's crap.

I agree... Murad Acne Complex irritated me so much that my skin started to look almost as bad as it did pre-accutane. I think it's because I'm very sensitive to SA (I've always had major stinging associated with use). I would recommend some sort of BP solution since that's one of the few thinks out there that can actually KILL the bacteria that causes acne, but since you're allergic to it, my personal advice would be to see a dermatologist.

For a long time I searched on-line & tried just about every product someone recommended (included Proactive, which my face basically laughed at) But it wasn't until I saw a dermatologist that my face really saw improvement (plus she specialized in taking care of skin of color, so she really helped me out with the scarring the acne left behind)

Different products work for different skin types, and who better to tell you what product to use than someone who went to school for it...

Hope that helps...

Strange, I'm the opposite. I'm allergic to BP.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    here's what's worked for me:

seeing a homeopath

going off the bcp

a gentle cleanser that contains some salicylic acid
    (i use aveeno clear complexion cleansing bar)

religious use of a stable, high spf sunscreen
    (neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch 55)

eating whole foods and cutting out refined sugar, refined carbs & non-organic dairy

exercising and doing yoga and breathwork

drinking a lot of water

taking a good mulivitamin with vitamin e and fish oil
    (carlson super 2 daily)

don't touch my face at all
    (especially don't mess with any blemishes)

i also manually exfoliate every once in a while using sugar mixed with a moisture masque. i use aveda's hydrating masque fairly regularly as well. for me, moisturized skin means less oily skin, but it's hard to find oil-free moisture. aveda's masque is good for that.

i'm trying some glycolic peels now (natura bisse) to help correct past hyperpigmentation from breakouts, etc. they are making my skin very even and glowing.

eta: i don't wear any face makeup at all anymore.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• chatterbox01chatterbox01 Posts: 77Registered Users
    do u guys do the three steps? 1. a cleanser 2. a toner 3. a moisturizer

i do that most days (sometimes i cheat :wink: ) and my skin is clear, except for some little bumps that you cant see but they still bother me...does anyone know how to get rid of those?
    please dont break my argyle heart.x.taryn obsessed with argyle--ispendallmytimethinkingabouti:lets get these teen hearts beating faster faster;we all have our dirty little secrets that no one knows..
  • MegRaiMegRai Posts: 2Registered Users
    I've had acne and scar problems for years. I've tried every product just about and nothing's work; plus I'm impatient so if I don't see a difference in atleast 2 weeks I give up.

So I finally went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me Brevoxyl-4 which has 4% benzoyl preoxide. What a GODSEND!

Not only does prevents pimples but also makes skin looks baby soft. Well at least my skin.

I would recommend going to a dermatologist, especially if nothing seems to work for you and if you're impatient.
  • Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Posts: 275Registered Users
    I get flareup every fall...without fail. This latest flairup has been a mother and started early last month. Nothing seemed to work so I decided to try a very different routine. I do the OCM, use ACV toner, aspirin mask w/ raw honey, use emu oil, and retin-a micro (not all at the same time :P ). Results: my skin is looking so, so much better. The flairup has subsided and my skin is really soft and just nice. I think many of those so-called non-comedogenic products really are pore-clogging. My pores were badly clogged and all I've ever used were products that were not supposed to do that.
  • Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
    I was using Philosophy's Purity Made Simple cleanser and Microdelivery Peel with good results. I don't tend to have big breakouts, just a few blemishes every now and then.

I ran out of the Purity and went back to my old drug store-available cleanser, which had been doing an OK job before I tried the Purity. Then I wondered if my old oil-free foundation would last longer throughout the day than the Everyday Minerals I've been using. It didn't -- and I'm fairly sure that was the trigger for a MAJOR breakout! :oops:

I ordered Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser and 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid. After using this combo for just a few days (the cleanser morning and night and the Beta Hydroxy just at night), POOF! the breakout vanished. I am majorly impressed! :shock:

Lesson learned: If it's working, don't mess with it. It's the PJ in me, I tell 'ya (this product is good, but maybe I'm missing out on something better...)!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file