best stuff for flawless, acne free skin

one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
i have tried a lot of stuff, including proactive (i was allergic to it) I have mild acne. My skin type is combination, and i get a lot of blackheads around my nose, and on it. (the biore strips work well, but i want something that will stop blackheads and not just remove them) I don't really get a lot of pimples, but if i do it's because of my monthly cycle. My forehead is oily & shiny and i hate it! i want something that would work, and make my face look flawless and acne free! I am thinking about trying acne complex from dr. murad, and i heard black soap is really good, but will it make my skin 100% acne-free? I also try to drink a lot of water, and that helps
mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    i don't know but i've never had 100% acne free skin. i go to a dermatologist.. is this saying something? :shock: :(
    3b-3c CG
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    well maybe not 100% acne-free, but i want something to clear up my blackheads and oily forhead
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • lafeistlafeist Posts: 72Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried at home microdermbrasion or some type of peel? I do both and that seems to help. I have tried glycolic peels but find them to be too harsh so I use a lactic acid peel from makeupartistschoice.com and my microderm from skinrxclinic.com. I have read other threads raving about a neutrogena or maybe oil of olay microderm not sure but I know there are s ome good drug store brands too. HTH
    Mostly 3B with some 3C. Faves :Sap Moss co and a weekly Sap Moss shampoo.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    The best thing for flawless skin is to buy "The Beauty Bible" and "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoun. These books saved my skin. The books will teach about skin, skin routines and my favorite she has reviews of popular skin care lines and lastly she has a cosmetics ingredient dictionary in the back of the book. One last thing make sure to pay attetion to your diet. Too much iodine (the fake kind found in processed foods and not the kind found in whole real foods) can wreck havoc on the skin. Too much white sugar and too much dairy as well. Hope this helps. Take care. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You need a clean formulation of salicylic acid. SA will exfoliate inside your pores and keep them clear with regular use. The drugstore SA's are full of harmful and unnecessary ingredients, and they just don't have a high enough concentration of SA to do much, but here's one that has a nice concentration with minimal ingredients and worked wonders for my skin:

http://www.go2skin.com/product_p/e40-2.htm

I use it twice a day, and I leave it on. I don't rinse it off. My 2 teenage sons also use it and are clear now too.
    You need a clean formulation of salicylic acid. SA will exfoliate inside your pores and keep them clear with regular use. The drugstore SA's are full of harmful and unnecessary ingredients, and they just don't have a high enough concentration of SA to do much, but here's one that has a nice concentration with minimal ingredients and worked wonders for my skin:

http://www.go2skin.com/product_p/e40-2.htm

I use it twice a day, and I leave it on. I don't rinse it off. My 2 teenage sons also use it and are clear now too.

ya but doesn't that have alcohol in it??? :shock: i think i'll try the murad stuff..
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

SA needs alcohol to penetrate into the skin. Murad has alcohol in it too...along with a LONG list of junk, including detergents, preservatives and oils.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    there are as many answers to this question as there are stars in the sky!

:lol:

well... almost!

i've found that what works for one person will not for the next, and so on.

good luck!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    SA needs alcohol to penetrate into the skin. Murad has alcohol in it too...along with a LONG list of junk, including detergents, preservatives and oils.

SA is soluble in oils. that's why they're in the cleanser, and I'm not so excited about putting SA on my face and leaving it on. do you use any moisturizer?
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

• gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    I've been using Neutrogena Blackhead scrub and it's made my skin so soft! Give it a try!
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
    SA is soluble in oils. that's why they're in the cleanser, and I'm not so excited about putting SA on my face and leaving it on. do you use any moisturizer?

Each to her own. My skin is crystal clear and normalized since I started using cleaner more active products. No more oil slicks and no more blackheads. That's what you asked for. I can't tell you that Murad is good stuff, because I think it's crap.

I use emu oil as a moisturizer...2 drops mixed with 2 drops of hyaluronic acid (a humescent that is an ingredient in most moisturizers). Emu oil is noncomedogenic and anti-inflammatory.

Each to her own. My skin is crystal clear and normalized since I started using cleaner more active products. No more oil slicks and no more blackheads. That's what you asked for. I can't tell you that Murad is good stuff, because I think it's crap.

I use emu oil as a moisturizer...2 drops mixed with 2 drops of hyaluronic acid (a humescent that is an ingredient in most moisturizers). Emu oil is noncomedogenic and anti-inflammatory.

i found this on the site:

http://www.acnecomplex.net/?page=faq#q5

i think i wanna try it, and if it doesn't work for me, i'll try your SA, but i don't wanna order online because my dad doesn't like ordering stuff online. and i can buy the murad at Ulta!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

I use emu oil as a moisturizer....

EMU OIL!? :shock: why would you use that! if you were an emu, you wouldn't want to be killed/tortured for your oil so someone can use it as a moisturizer! please think about the poor emus.. you can try jojoba oil. a lot of people use that on their face.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

EMU OIL!? why would you use that! if you were an emu, you wouldn't want to be killed/tortured for your oil so someone can use it as a moisturizer! please think about the poor emus.. you can try jojoba oil. a lot of people use that on their face.

Emus are food, and I have no problem using their oil, which is simply a by-product of the emu meat industry. They are raised on farms, just as cows/pigs/chickens are...and I eat them too ;)

Jojoba clogs pores, and it's not anti-inflammatory. Nothing has moisturized me like emu, so I'm going to continue with it.
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    Acne.org worked miracles on my acne. For my oily skin, I smooth on a layer of diluted Milk of Magnesia before I apply makeup - THE best. And a fabulous mask to try is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask - it's awesome and dirt cheap.

Good luck!! It's no fun having bad skin. :(
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
    Acne.org worked miracles on my acne. For my oily skin, I smooth on a layer of diluted Milk of Magnesia before I apply makeup - THE best. And a fabulous mask to try is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask - it's awesome and dirt cheap.

Good luck!! It's no fun having bad skin. :(

i have that stuff!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

i can't do the acne.org thing because i'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

• allie95allie95 Posts: 74Registered Users
    another rave for plain ole SA and Paula's books. Honestly the best things for me were:

(1) finding out the ingredients in skin care, makeup, and hair care that were breaking me out (even in stuff that was supposed to treat acne) and then religiously reading labels to make sure nothing I use has those ingredients. it can be really frustrating at first, but it's worth it. I recommend taking a look at the ingredients list here: http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

and (2) paula's choice SA. You can buy at cosmeticscop.com. It comes in liquid, gel, and lotion forms. There is absolutely nothing harsh about leaving it on. It's not any harsher than prescription products, sulfates, menthol, etc.
    2c who can't seem to find enough moisture! Trying to figure this out once and for all 7 years after going CG!
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've started using the Boots Botanics skincare range (yes, the same company that makes the pink curl cream!). It has BHA and AHA in them as well as SA, it's working quite well for my skin and it's looking a lot clearer than I've had it for a long time. I believe this is one of the Boots ranges that will be/is available in the US now.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I had bad skin for many year. In my mid-30s I got a precription for Retin-A, which helped a lot. I finally got completely clear skin by adding benzoyl peroxide. I use Retin-A in the evening and BPO in the morning. Now I almost never have a breakout, and when I do (maybe once in 3 months) they are tiny and go away fast.

Plus I have almost no wrinkles, thanks to the Retin-A.
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Queen Helene's Mint Julep is great.
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for posting this info -- some great sites to check out!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Late to the game here but...

As for books, I'd suggest Dr Leslie Baumann's "Skin Type Solution." She divides people into sixteen different skin types and makes product recommendations from there depending on what your issue is.

While my primary isues have been redness due to being rosacea prone, I also am prone to blackheads - and I'm 36 for cryin' out loud. I have been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and it has been doing wonders at reducing the amount of blackheads that I have. It seems pricey at first, but a little goes a long way with this. I have sensitive skin and have had no problems with this as far as increased redness, itching, or burning.

Using her recs have helped me a lot. Most of the items are available at drugstores too. The only pricey item I use is a sulfur mask that helps crontol both the oil and redness. It also acts and an exfoliant for me as I cannot do scrubs and peels.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i second using paula's choice. her treatment products are great and her articles and are informative!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    I tried prescriptions, I tried birth control, and I tried every over-the-counter remedy in the world. I finally tried Neutrogena Oil-Free acne wash with SA, and it has completely cleared up my acne. I have NONE anymore! It broke me out for a week or so, but when that cleared up it never came back.

I LOVE this stuff. I can't believe how well it works. I realized that benzoyl peroxide doesn't work for me, but SA does.
  • chatterbox01chatterbox01 Posts: 77Registered Users
    i use clean and clear scrub (ill give u the exact name l8r...im not in my house right now lol) and it makes my skin tingle and feel super clean and soft. then i use clean and clear blackhead toner stuff (again ill give u the actual name soon) and then clean and clear morning glow moisturizer. i use that every night and day. it makes my skin soft and almost acne free.
    please dont break my argyle heart.x.taryn obsessed with argyle--ispendallmytimethinkingabouti:lets get these teen hearts beating faster faster;we all have our dirty little secrets that no one knows..
    mafalda wrote:

I love that stuff too! I bought it in 6th grade and loved it since. I've tried so many things, and right now I'm using Dr. Murad's Acne Complex and the mint julep once or twice a year. I've tried drugstore stuff, but it's done nothing. I love the AC, my skin has cleared up soo much!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    AngieCurls wrote:
    mafalda wrote:

I love that stuff too! I bought it in 6th grade and loved it since. I've tried so many things, and right now I'm using Dr. Murad's Acne Complex and the mint julep once or twice a year. I've tried drugstore stuff, but it's done nothing. I love the AC, my skin has cleared up soo much!

:shock:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For the record, I've had no breakouts from jojoba oil and my skin breaks out extremely easily. It is one of the best products for the skin because it closely mimics the natural oils our skin produces.

To answer the OP, I use Sage Skin Care and it's amazingly effective. Doesn't just make break outs stop, but also gives you incredible glowing skin.

AngieCurls, their regular line uses benzoyl peroxide, but they have alternative treatments if you're allergic.

However, it's only available online, unless you live in Saint Louis and can go pick it up from their offices.

It's important, if you're breakout prone, to make sure you're not using makeup or lotions that are comedogenic. It's even more important to realize that many products that are marked non-comedogenic will still cause break outs for many people. Sage has a list of ingredients that I pretty much live and die by as far as keeping my skin clear.
  • mane-iacmane-iac Posts: 16Registered Users
    DDF (Doctor's Dermatalogic Formula) is amazing!! Pricey but worth it all the way!
    2c/3a:elucence, ck, boots, aura, and honey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file