CurlTalk

Difference between Jamaican Castor Oil & regular?

CoilsKinksCurlsCoilsKinksCurls Posts: 418Registered Users
What the difference between Jamaican Castor Oil & regular? Are there more benefits with one that with the other?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check Out my YouTube Channel:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FCoilsKinksCurls" class="Popup

Hair Type: 4a

It's not bad being a product junkie, when it benefits someone else!
Don't like it, just keep walkin!!
:walk:

Comments

• CoilsKinksCurlsCoilsKinksCurls Posts: 418Registered Users
    Bump Bump
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FCoilsKinksCurls" class="Popup

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    you may want to try a search. i know there was a thread or three not too long ago. you should get lots of hits. :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    JBCO is a little thinner and less tacky. It has a brown tint to it and a nutty slightly burnt smell. I'm totally okay with the smell, but some people don't like it.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MokahDeeLyteMokahDeeLyte Posts: 132Registered Users
    They are pretty much the same one is brown and has a nice smell(to me) the other is a clear yellow. I like to mix both of them to help me stretch the JBCO.
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    The difference is Jamaican Castor oil stank.:pukeleft::pukeleft::pukeleft:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    you are so wrong for that...:sign5:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »

:laughing8: Yo, I just call it like I see it, man. Bad thing is, this stuff works GREAT on my hair. So I guess I'm now doomed to walk around with fabulous looking, dung smelling hair for the rest of my life.:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• LhoreSpencerLhoreSpencer Posts: 474Registered Users

:laughing8: Yo, I just call it like I see it, man. Bad thing is, this stuff works GREAT on my hair. So I guess I'm now doomed to walk around with fabulous looking, dung smelling hair for the rest of my life.:afro:
    :laughing7::laughing6::laughing2: Too funny. But, aren't you the one who started that thread on rancid castor oil???

I'm no expert on the difference between the two, the smell of the JBCO does take getting used to, but it does a fabulous job on moisturizing. Mine has a smoky cigarette smell. I guess now I smell like a chimney. After a day, I didn't even notice the smell.

But the compliments I've received on how fab my hair looks.... worth it :thumright:
    FdQlm4.png
    Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in :love4: with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

*SIGH* Alas, I've come to accept my shrinkage and fairy knots :angry7:

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!

:laughing7::laughing6::laughing2: Too funny. But, aren't you the one who started that thread on rancid castor oil???

I'm no expert on the difference between the two, the smell of the JBCO does take getting used to, but it does a fabulous job on moisturizing. Mine has a smoky cigarette smell. I guess now I smell like a chimney. After a day, I didn't even notice the smell.

But the compliments I've received on how fab my hair looks.... worth it :thumright:

My thread is about rancid JAMAICAN castor oil. People keep saying "smokey" but that ain't what I smell.:?

Holy Grails:

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    nubiancoils,

what brand is your Jamaican black castor oil?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    Can anyone please tell me what's actually in JBCO? Does anyone really even know?
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    breezybaby wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me what's actually in JBCO? Does anyone really even know?
    it's oil expressed from castor beans grown in jamaica. it's raw/unrefined castor oil. Not sure what makes them different from castor beans grown in india :dontknow:

I haven't tried it (but wanted to for a loooong time) but I'm just too afraid of the reports of bad smelling oil. I don't want to walk around smelling awful, but if there are any generous souls out there, I would love a sample :D

I use regular castor oil with great results ;)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Elegantrose23Elegantrose23 Posts: 27Registered Users
    I don't know about it being stinky or smokey smelling....I think it depends on the batches or something, b/c I just rec'd my order from Sam's and it smelled just like the clear one you get out of the health food store.??? :roll:

But, I do agree w/ the other ladies that it is much thinner and darker in color. I'm using it to finish filling in my edges, since there is so much info. regarding it growth abilities. :afro:
    :sign5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just placed my order from Sams and I don't know why but I was feeling really brave and bought the 8oz jar of the castor oil before I am sure I even like it. Most people say they love it but hate the smell. I have some essential oils I purchased to help with the scent a little so I will let you know if that helps. Who knows, I may like te scent just fine without the added fragrance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just don't get this, and I'm on my third bottle. They all smelled the same. MariaG002, who hates the smell, gave me hers and it smelled fine to me, just the nutty cooked smell. I bought the other 2 bottles and they smelled the same. I'm extremely sensitive to fragrance but wouldn't think of adding an essential oil to this. I use a good tsp in my hair (over conditioner). I didn't rinse it out today, and can't smell a thing.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    breezybaby wrote: »

JBCO is mixed w/ water which is why it may be less sticky than the Home Health brand and more people prefer it. Someone on another hair board emailed the company asking what other ingredients were in JBCO and they replied saying just castor oil and water. They say the water is used to liquify the oil. I prefer the Home Health brand, its more potent and leaves my hair really soft, and its the only castor oil i've ever tried alone on my hair. Here's a link to the thread, its post # 77.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
    nubiancoils,

what brand is your Jamaican black castor oil?

Tropic Isle Living. I get it at a health food store down the street from where I live. On the website, it's more expensive...

www.jamaicanblackcastoroil.com

I find myself in a very odd predicament because I AIN'T gonna stop using this stuff cause it keeps my hair moisturized and softer than a baby's bottom. It's also the first product I've used that makes my hair super shiny and I'm a 4a. However, there is a bit of hope. Yesterday was wash day and I mixed it with coffee butter to do my twists and I had my husband smell my hair and all he could smell was coffee. I think I've finally found something that can overpower the donkey poop smell.:)

Holy Grails:

I ordered a 4 oz of JBCO. hopefully, I don't hate the scent lol. I like the regular CO but we'll see if there's a difference to be spotted here :D
    I found this short response to a question about the difference is between RCO and JBCO

It seems that her opinion is RCO works great for sealing, but JBCO works if you want to fill in those lost edges or other parts of your hair. Castor oil in general will thicken hair no matter which type it is. IDK. They seem the same to me and if Stephanie198907 is correct (from her report from another board) and they do add water to JBCO, then adding water to RCO would make it just as thin and scalp permeable? :dontknow:

I'm still going to try it :D

Short Q&A

From what I’ve read JBCO is better for REGROWING hair. For example: edges lost from too tight braids or weaves, thinning temples due to age, relaxer over use, etc.

It seems clear/pharmacy Castor oil simply moisturizes. HOWEVER, it does NOT have JBCO’s burned-nut smell which is why I don’t use it. I just can’t get past the odor.

Pharmacy/clear Castor oil moisturizes and seals superbly.

I experienced thicker hair when using it (which is why I stopped, my hair is thick enough as it is!) and it made my scalp tingle delightfully while under the hooded dryer (when mixed into my deep conditioners).

My hair was extra plump, moist and retained more shine, becoming thicker over time SANS odor, with CLEAR/pharmacy grade Castor oil. I had no intentions of regrowing anything or trying to “increase” my growth rate so I was quite pleased with it (clear/pharmacy grade Castor oil).

If filling in parts of your scalp is your aim, it seems, according to net-lore that JBCO is your best bet, if you can stand its distinctive smell.

ETA: I really don't think there is much of a difference. As long as you are getting the results you want. 100% castor oil will aid keeping moisture in hair, in growth and thickening of hair. My eyebrow threader (indian lady) says so. Just my $0.02
  • LhoreSpencerLhoreSpencer Posts: 474Registered Users
    @nubiancoils:

I believe most coilys use this brand: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sams247.com%2Fjamaican-black-castor-oil.aspx" class="Popup

Although I purchased mine from the health food store in my area.

Perhaps, it's the difference in the brand... I believe most people purchase their JBCO from that website, which explains the smokey smell.

I'm glad you were able to find a remedy though.
    FdQlm4.png
    Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in :love4: with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

*SIGH* Alas, I've come to accept my shrinkage and fairy knots :angry7:

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!
    @nubiancoils:

I believe most coilys use this brand: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sams247.com%2Fjamaican-black-castor-oil.aspx" class="Popup

Although I purchased mine from the health food store in my area.

Perhaps, it's the difference in the brand... I believe most people purchase their JBCO from that website, which explains the smokey smell.

I'm glad you were able to find a remedy though.
    both the brand nubiancoils uses and the sams brand are the same

Tropical Isle Living. I know they switched labels at one point so I think the old label is white and the new yellow-greenish-brown. But they are the same.
    I just got my JBCO in the mail today. I was scared to open it because of some of the descriptions you guys gave about the smell. :cry: But to my surprise the smell is barely noticeable. There is a nutty smell but it is so faint I couldbarely smell it in the bottle. I took some and rubbed it on the back of my hand and wow it is thick compared to other oils I have used like olive, jojoba, coconut etc... I never tried any type of castor oil so this was a surprise to me. The smell didn't linger on my hand for more than 1 minute or so. After 5 minutes I couldn't smell it at all. It made my skin feel really soft in that spot so I am anxious to try it on my hair. So I will use it to seal the ends of my hair after styling and let you guys know what I think about it

So far I am really liking the oil and Iam glad that the smell wasn't bad or overpowering. I may not have to use the fragrance oil I purchased after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad you weren't too bothered by it CKC.

Scent is such a personal thing. Just like we all wear different perfumes or none at all. I love the smokey, nuttiness of JBCO. I also like the nuttiness of unrefined shea butter.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    more about differences and how JBCO is made. JBCO contains ash and apparently this is what give it the extra umph compared to RCO, hence the "smokey" smell. This link is of a blog that is connected to jamaicanblackcastoroil.com who have a good deal on JBGO (buy 3 4 oz for 19.99 get one free!; 8 oz for 9.99)

JBCO, how it's made, why it contains ash and how that's beneficial to hair
    coilynapp wrote: »
    more about differences and how JBCO is made. JBCO contains ash and apparently this is what give it the extra umph compared to RCO, hence the "smokey" smell. This link is of a blog that is connected to jamaicanblackcastoroil.com who have a good deal on JBGO (buy 3 4 oz for 19.99 get one free!; 8 oz for 9.99)

Great link, thanks!
    comic-p.jpg

thanks for this :)
    I knew I liked JBCO better than the regular castor oil. :thumright:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    you're welcome SBB and hippychic! I found it very informative and it makes me even more excited to get my JBCO!!! :D
    Just found out that Sam's it sold out of the JBCO and are expecting a new shipment in a day or two. So you should back order it anyway to get the sale price. Just a FYI for ya ladies!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users

So the sale price is: buy 3 4oz bottle sfor $19.99 and get 1 4oz bottle for free (total of 16oz) and a differenet sale for 8oz bottle for $9.99.

That's actually 1 cent more than what Sams247 charges. I was trying to compare! You can buy 2 8oz bottles for $19.98 at Sams247. Also, as an fyi the shipping is a $1 cheaper through Sams as well (at least for me).

Just wanted to provide that info to those that felt like they had to purchase quickly to get the sale price! However, since Sams is out of stock right now you have an alternate place to purchase since jamaicanblackcastoroil.com is having a sale. Their normal prices are more than Sams.

Thank you for posting this coilynapp!!
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10