Tell us how you feel about your curls

MichelleMichelle AdministratorAdministrators Posts: 742 Administrator
We're doing a poll of attitudes toward curls.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    I didn't like mine. No hair dresser in Sweden knew how to handle curly hair back then. Most skandinavians have fine and straight hair.

ETA: The hair dressers I saw told me I couldn't have long hair because it would just grow straight out. So they kept on cutting it short and weird. My gosh it looked nasty. I finally found a good hair dresser when I turned like 16 and he told me to grow it out and it's been long most of the time after that. Made me like my hair a bit better.

Mine was straight at first, then got wavy when I started first grade kinda and then by third grade it was curly, but then it was also short, so I didn't really have to start dealing with it so much until I was like 13.
  • Catsmd71Catsmd71 Registered Users Posts: 93 Curl Neophyte
    wow, we hated them so much. but that is all changing now.
    Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
    PW: curlz
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Umm, how young are we talking? I didn't have curls till puberty... :lol:
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    Gemini13 wrote:
    ditto!
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    as a young child i wanted to have my friends' hair. straight, silky, long. but now as a much older child i don't care if my hair is curly either way. it just has to look good and be healthy =)
    3b-3c CG
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Gemini13 wrote:
    ditto!

Third! (or could it be that my mom was always brushing my hair so a curl or wave didn't have a chance?! )
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • RipplesRipples Registered Users Posts: 40
    I HATED my frizzy, wacked out hair as a child...my mom, on the other hand, LOVED my "Shirley Temple" ringlets (I'm dating myself here :wink: ) and when she decided to cut my hair shorter (like Shirley Temple), it went STRAIGHT :shock: She cried for days over that mistake! Seems like the longer my hair gets, the curlier it is (ringlets).
    Karyn

3A/f/ii CG since Aug 17, 2005...HG's: AHC, CK, Re:coil & GFSCC
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    I don't know. My mother never gave me a chance to appreciate or hate my curls because she would always brush it out and put it in a big braid. :?
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Ripples, my mom had those 'Shirley Temple' type curls too (at least she did as a little kid because I've seen the pics to prove it!), but the kicker is that her first name really is Shirley and her middle name was Temple before she got married. :lol:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    lushaholic wrote:
    Gemini13 wrote:
    ditto!

Third! (or could it be that my mom was always brushing my hair so a curl or wave didn't have a chance?! )

Fourth! Actually, just what Lush said - mine may have appeared if I knew not to brush them. My hair was always "poofy" or "bushy."
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • IwantcurlyhairIwantcurlyhair Registered Users Posts: 338
    I voted "I didn't care one way or another" because I don't even remember looking in the mirror until I was about 11 or so. I know I had curls though because of pictures I've seen and strangers used to compliment me on my curls all the time. I remember I was so used to it that one time a lady said "oh you have the prettiest hair" and my mom said "thank you" for me(I must've been 5 at the time) and I responded with "mom, I don't think she was talking to you". My mom will never let me forget that either :P . I was a child of the 80's though so that probably made a difference. I just never remember thinking about my hair, I never hated it, but I never loved it either. Now, if you are talking about teenage years...that's a completely different story. :roll:
  • sil2opsil2op Registered Users Posts: 3
    I didn't get my curls until puberty but I hated them with a fiery passion after they showed up. Funny... before I got curly I had been begging my mom for a perm like she had (she's a straighty).

Now I look back and she how fab my curls where and have my fingers crossed that they'll come back with some tlc.
    2b/3a f/i; Modified CG
    PW: curlyq
    Flat-iron free since 7/21/06
  • BeachBlondeWavieBeachBlondeWavie Registered Users Posts: 159
    as a young child i really didn't pay attention to my hair- i had cute big shirly temple-esque curls until the 1st grade then my mom started brushing it, it turned frizzy, would always got knotty and by 3rd grade i got the worst haircut ever (almost like a mullet- but worse, yes worse) that's when i started getting insecure about myself and but by the end of 5th/beginning of 6th grade it FINALLY grew out, but i didn't know my hair was still curly as i would brush it when it was wet so it was big and poofy. one day in 8th grade my best friend at the time (who had amazing super curly hair) decided to play with my hair and scrunched it with this great new invention i discovered known as hair gel- i've been scrunching since then until i relaxed it at 17 but now im back to natural!
    Diane
    2C blonde long hair

•ojon + curls
    •goal: to grow my hair to my waist!

•hair timeline:
    -last cut [email protected] devachan by jeff
    -colored 3.6.07
    -trimmed on 10.1
    -softened @ ouidad 10.20
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    I hated mine as a child. I was the only one in the family with curls, so no one knew how to help me.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Registered Users Posts: 945
    I don't know. My mother never gave me a chance to appreciate or hate my curls because she would always brush it out and put it in a big braid. :?
    OMG, My mom use to do the same thing. My hair would get such tangles and she would first get rid of the tangles with a pencil and then brush it out and then braid it. She did the same thing to my Sis. Sometimes I look back at those pics of me and my sis and I think, we look like Mary and Laura Ingalls. :? P.S. For a short time in the early 80's she went through this Princess Lea period so we each had matching little buns on either side. Nice. :?
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Registered Users Posts: 540
    I HATED them !!! My mom used to cut my hair real short..so I looked like a boy :cry:
    .png
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Registered Users Posts: 370
    I too didn't get my curls and waves until I hit puberty. I HATED them at first, ironic since I grew up wishing for them. I tortured them by straightening it. My hair was always this thick poofy mess. It wasn't until my senior year in high school when I got tired of straightening my hair and realized that I had to deal with my waves and curls that my hair began to look great. I know realize how blessed I am to have the waves and curls that I have. :D
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • B-wavyB-wavy Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote:
    lushaholic wrote:
    Gemini13 wrote:
    ditto!

Fourth! Actually, just what Lush said - mine may have appeared if I knew not to brush them. My hair was always "poofy" or "bushy."

Same here!
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    I voted I didn't care one way or the other because as a child, I didn't.

But boy when I got into my teens, I hated my hair! I wondered why my hair couldn't be straight like everybody elses. My hair was wavy, but eternally frizzy - or at least that was my perception at the time.

I saw the world as either you had straight hair (any color but red) or curly, curly, curly and frizzy (red hair). And then there was me :roll: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    As a child, I was always complimented on my curls and I liked them then. As happened to many of us, my hair went wild when I hit puberty and got thicker, curlier, and frizzy. Back then everyone wore straight hair, and there were no good styling products. So in my teens and early 20s I HATED my hair and always straightened it. But finally, the world got enlightened and big hair was in. I quit straightening in the late 70s and love my curls now.

Of course, good styling products and NC.com help that a whole lot.
  • RipplesRipples Registered Users Posts: 40
    lushaholic wrote:
    Ripples, my mom had those 'Shirley Temple' type curls too (at least she did as a little kid because I've seen the pics to prove it!), but the kicker is that her first name really is Shirley and her middle name was Temple before she got married. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

P.S. Welcome back, Lush! (Missed your posts while you were gone.)
    Karyn

3A/f/ii CG since Aug 17, 2005...HG's: AHC, CK, Re:coil & GFSCC
  • KeeweeKeewee Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Curl Neophyte
    Mine was'nt so curly or at least I didn't know if it was, my hair was always in pig tails or ponytail , my tails where banana curls( I do remember seeing a picture of myself when I was about a year I did have a little fro. Then when I got older my mom would brush my hair every morning and put hot rollers in it ( I swear it was every morning). OMG!!
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • Curly^ChrissyCurly^Chrissy Registered Users Posts: 27
    I never had curls until I hit puberty. After that I didn't really care about them. I was complimented on them but my hair was really long (waist level), thick and heavy to leave it out for any length of time. Generally I used to hide them in a ponytail or a bun and got really good at disguising the fact that I did have curly hair.
    Dark brown/ black
    Short and curly - and proud of it.
    botticelli curls - 3B sides with 3A back.

Password - curls

CG since Aug ‘05
  • ladykejladykej Registered Users Posts: 54
    I don't remember being aware of whether my hair was curly or not, as my Mama always braided it up, but I do remember craving long straight hair that I could wear out and fling around like my best friend had. My sister and I used to put towels on our heads and tuck them behind our ears or fling it around like Cher!
    3c/3b, fine-med strands, dry and porous, cottony/silky mix My goal: healthy, BSL curls.
    My hair journal:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18289
  • NC_beach_wavesNC_beach_waves Registered Users Posts: 33
    I never realized that I actually had wavy hair until I was 23 and I'm 24 now. I always just thought I had ill-mannered straight hair. It was straight when I was little because my hair was very short and very fine. Looking back at some old pictures I can see that my hair was always wavy but it never got the chance to dry untouched so the waves could develop. I had a bad habit of combing my hair multiple times while it was drying. I had two or three perms in elementary school and blow dried my hair straight all throughout my teenage years. I'm just getting used to my hair and enjoying the mulitude of new ways that I can style it now.
    }i{~}i{~}i{
    2b/2c/f/i
  • DancingbadgerDancingbadger Registered Users Posts: 136
    I loved mine. In fact it got straighter as I got older and I always wanted my ringlets back.

I had hair like Little Orphan Annie only not red and I was obsessed with that movie when I was little. :lol:
    My hair is a mix of 2b/3a and even a bit of 3b thrown in! I would call my hair wavycelli. It curls most when I leave it alone after wet scrunching. My hair has a spring factor of about 2 or 3 inches and has a very silky, medium texture.
  • mslauratsmslaurats Registered Users Posts: 23
    When I was really little my mom used to brush out my hair, this was always very painful given the texture of my hair. Every morning started out with tears. We never even used conditioner - no VO5 nothing..

Then as I group up in the 80s - permed hair became big. I permed my hair till it was super curly. And I really identified myself as having curly hair. Once my mom straightened it and I cried because I didn't feel like myself.
    Than once puberty hit, it was a bit more difficult. I had no idea how to control my hair and I often got teased about it. But even though I got made fun of about my hair I continued to make it as curly as possible because I really felt it was who I was.
    Then in highschool I became obsessed with smoothing out the frizz with roller sets. I am not sure what happened...maybe it was the change in hair fashion from 80s to 90s.
  • mrfhnlmrfhnl Registered Users Posts: 276
    I actually didn't have curls as a kid--I got 4 perms (one per year) from 7th till 10th grade. Then something must have happened during puberty cuz my grade 10 perm never grew out!
    3B, normal porosity, med to coarse texture
    Deva Inspired, LiveCurlyLiveFree Trained Stylist
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Great poll! When I read in Lorraine Massey's book about how she used to wrap a shirt over her head and swing it to feel like she had long hair, I said "I thought only me, my sister and Whoopi Goldberg did that." I used to "swing" with a towel.

At age 8 I went from a 100% African American parochial school to a 98% white public school. One of my new best friends (Italian-American) had long, thick, shining hair with perfect bangs, and was a ballet student at School of American Ballet to boot. How's that for a masochistic choice in friends :) She was a good, real person though, with no "attitude" about her considerable talent.

But until "I'm Black and I'm proud" came into the culture when I was 14- 15, I was in hair hell. My mother would not let us use relaxers and I hated presses. It was braids out and topnots at home. I fought for the Afro.

Getting one was a defining moment in my life. My first was an Angela Davis one. I had TWA's through the years as a result of several big chops and enjoyed the freedom. Kept them TWA for control, then relaxed as my hair grew. Had braid extensions after college. Had Jheri Curls (ughh) and then texturizing for a "natural curly" look, and went with blond highlights in the nineties until my hair started falling out from the chemicals. After that I mainted "3C" curls through partial relaxing until I took the step not to relax again and to see what happens.

It has taken me more than 50 years to reclaim my hair and learn to trust my hair. I am loving it.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    As a child, I never cared one way or the other about having curly hair or not. I never really got to wear my hair out much as a child, so since I didn't have to care of it, by styling it, I wasn't bothered at all. I didn't see any little girls with curly hair where I went to school at or even came in contact with, so I just figured that my Mother always brushing my hair out to make it appear smoother and straighter, was just the way that things were supposed to be.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file