How to take care of long hair

automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
I keep cutting all my hair off because it seems like once it gets past shoulder length, it gets really crappy looking. It's tangled, it's heavy and gets weighed down but at the same time it looks kinda thin and stringy (especially with layers, oddly).

So how do you ladies with BSL or longer hair take care of yours to keep it looking full and nice? Does the haircut make a difference?

I'm a wavy, BTW. :) Thanks for any tips you can give!

Comments

• NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you are treating your hair right there isn't anything you can do. Some people experience this at different lengths. For instance, once my hair gets between waist and tailbone it starts looking scraggly. So I won't let it grow beyond that length.

You could always try Henna. They say that one of the effects is thicker hair. I do Cassia/Henna Treatments and I haven't had this effect and I've been doing it since June. However, each person's hair is different and it could work on yours. HTH!
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    do you straighten your hair at all? i know mine started looking very crappy when i was constantly straightening my hair. my hair was like, elbow length (but im short, so thats kinda long lol), and half of it was just nasty. i finally had to just cut it and now im starting fresh.

if you're doing everything to keep your hair healthy and it still not getting better even with trims, your body might be deficient in something(?).
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • curlygoinggraycurlygoinggray Posts: 69Registered Users
    Can someone direct me to info on long curly hair care. The basics, detangling, etc. I've been growing my hair out for four years now. It is middle of back, almost waist length. I've never had hair this long. Longest it ever was, was between shoulders and bra strap length. I learned the curly girl method four years ago when I was growing out my natural color. Slacked off and on on the curly girl thing. Want to get back into it. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DevaCurl NoPoo, One Condition & AnGel
    Occasionally: KCCC, KCKT & KCCC
    Last Dye 1/4/12
    Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012
    Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
    Avi & Sig Pics 1/18/16
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Posts: 31Registered Users
    Can someone direct me to info on long curly hair care. The basics, detangling, etc. I've been growing my hair out for four years now. It is middle of back, almost waist length. I've never had hair this long. Longest it ever was, was between shoulders and bra strap length. I learned the curly girl method four years ago when I was growing out my natural color. Slacked off and on on the curly girl thing. Want to get back into it. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

My hair is about as long as yours, but it looks like I have more hair density (more hairs per square inch) and more curl to my hair - but that's okay, because it means yours is easier to take care of! Lol.

The most important things for long hair is keeping it clean, moisturized (especially those ends!!), and detangled.

Invest in a good hydrating shampoo/conditioner + deep conditioner + leave-in conditioner if you're using stylers with silicones or other non water-soluble ingredients. Otherwise, pick up a rich cowash and a deep conditioner for use on silicone-free hair.

Detangle in the shower using your hands or a very very wide-toothed comb, like the one in the CurlMart store. Keep your scalp clean, moisturized, and exfoliated by massaging your cleansing and conditioning products into your scalp with your fingertips. This will help keep follicles open and happy, and lead to less hair loss and healthier hair strands.

Apply products, especially heavier ones, from ends to roots. I apply literally no product right at the root, but I get pretty darn close. The ends of your hair are the driest, most damaged parts of your hair and they need the most love and attention (and moisture!).

I recommend air-drying long hair to keep the ends from getting too dry and fluffy while the roots are still damp, but if you diffuse, diffuse just the top half of your hair and let the rest dry naturally. Plopping is also helpful for long hair!

Good luck!
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file