Amost menopause girls-how many in a row have you missed?

MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
I am at 4 months and counting......
I had 4 periods last year.
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    I went 4 months then got it last month. I am now 2 weeks "late", altho I guess its not called "late" at this stage of the game:confused4:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • Pops G-MaPops G-Ma Registered Users Posts: 201
    i went six months w/o a period, then had one which lasted a week. I'll be 51 in a few months, so i'm thinking, that will be the last for me:sad1:
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:
    Wavy, Coarse Porous & Dry

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel or HESMU
    36_1_60.gif
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
    I've gone 3 years! And I haven't had a hot flash in a month! At 53 I'm ecstatic! (I had hot flashes for over 10 years)
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/
  • tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    how does it start out? That's what I want to know. My periods for the last four months have been off. I've always been like clockwork. Every 26 days. Then I was a week late. Then two weeks late. Then last month I was few days late. I'm due to start at the end of the week and I'm jsut wondering if I should be thinking about this. It seems lately my emotions are out of control. This has been going on for months now with the emotion thing. I will get really angry over things that ordinarily wouldn't bother me. I haven't had any hot flashes. I had them right after both kids were born so I know what I'm looking for but can it happen this early? I'm 38.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • Pops G-MaPops G-Ma Registered Users Posts: 201
    Tinah...i was like clockwork also but at 28 days. when i turned 48 my periods were 35 days apart then 40 days. Then at 50 they stopped for 6 months. Don't forget stress play a major role in emotions even if you may not have a lot of stress in your life your body will react. I hadn't realized how much stress i was under until i lost my job and even since, my hot flashes have disappeared.
    38 is very young, but peri menopause does happen in the mid 30's and could take a while before you enter menopause. You'll probably go a few months quite irregular then possibly go back to 26 days apart.
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:
    Wavy, Coarse Porous & Dry

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel or HESMU
    36_1_60.gif
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    Tinah-I think the peri menopause stage can last ten years,so you may be entering that phase.
    My periods have been wacky off and on for a few years and I was always very regular.
    I have hot flashes every now and then-they started last year around this time-that was when I first missed 3 months in a row.
    I only had the hot flashes for a couple months and then not again until recently.
    They don't bother me at all-I guess they're not too bad.
    My mom says hers were infrequent and not bothersome and she had her last period at 47,so I am hoping there's a genetic link:)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    It's hard to tell for me. I don't think stress is the issue. I think my hormones are just out of whack somehow. I've had hives every day for the last six years. Well except for when I was pregnant. So I'm sure it has something to do with that. Maybe. I dunno. I seem to remember my mom starting to go thru the change around the age of 45. If I remember correctly that's about the time. Is that sort of thing hereditary?

I thought maybe having my kids later in life would kinda post pone it some but I don't know.
    CG - 3/27/09
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't think it's necessarily heredity. my gyn used to always say that everyone is different, we can and usually are different from our moms.
    what does your dr say? aren't there blood tests for hormone levels? i never had one, but i've heard many of my friends and clients talk about that.
    and mar is right, perimenopause can last 10 years.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Mar wrote: »
    Tinah-I think the peri menopause stage can last ten years,so you may be entering that phase.
    My periods have been wacky off and on for a few years and I was always very regular.
    I have hot flashes every now and then-they started last year around this time-that was when I first missed 3 months in a row.
    I only had the hot flashes for a couple months and then not again until recently.
    They don't bother me at all-I guess they're not too bad.
    My mom says hers were infrequent and not bothersome and she had her last period at 47,so I am hoping there's a genetic link:)

Ditto for me except the Mom part - my Mom had a hysterectomy by my age, so I have no clue what her natural transition would have been like.
    My Photobucket Album
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, at age 37, ovaries were left. So I don't really have a clue where I am on the peri/meno scale. My usual PMS symptoms are exaggerated and irregular, but again, that's hard to tell since I don't get periods anymore. I do get occasional hot flashes and night sweats as well as early-morning awakenings at times - but nothing outrageous.

My mom's last period was at age 48, but she was also undergoing breast cancer treatment at the time which may have thrown off her system...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    God I wish I could say I've missed even one! But no, mine are getting closer and closer together. For most of my life I was around 28-30 days. Now I am at 24 days. And they are much heavier and last longer. Yay me!! F*&%in uterus!

I wish it was hereditary since my mom started in her late 30's. Lucky her!

Ok, I'm done whining now. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    God I wish I could say I've missed even one! But no, mine are getting closer and closer together. For most of my life I was around 28-30 days. Now I am at 24 days. And they are much heavier and last longer. Yay me!! F*&%in uterus!

My sister went thru this. Mention it at yer next gyno visit. She had a build up of uterine tissue that needed to be removed. I gorget the name of the condition, but it is very prevelant in women who have had C-sections.....
    My Photobucket Album
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks rudeechick. I've been yappin to my doctor about this for 2 or 3 years. I sometimes bleed so much I get lightheaded. But bloodwork comes back in normal range so no one is willing to do anything else. I even thought of going on birth control to stop my periods most of the year. But it's riskier to do that at my age.

I have issues with both my primary care physician and my endocrinologist but I don't have the time or money to doctor-shop. But that's a whole other thread!

Done whining again. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I'm regularly skipping 3 to 4, then a period.

It's like The Godfather, Part III: Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Seriously. I'm 55. When will this all end? (Kay; Godfather II)

Except for one period with very unusually fast, heavy flow, all my periods since this began several YEARS ago, have been very light and short.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
    Thanks rudeechick. I've been yappin to my doctor about this for 2 or 3 years. I sometimes bleed so much I get lightheaded. But bloodwork comes back in normal range so no one is willing to do anything else. I even thought of going on birth control to stop my periods most of the year. But it's riskier to do that at my age.

I have issues with both my primary care physician and my endocrinologist but I don't have the time or money to doctor-shop. But that's a whole other thread!

Sounds very similar to her history. Will check with her to find out what it turned out to be. But she had to hound her DR til he resolved it.
    My Photobucket Album
    rudeechick wrote: »

My sister went thru this. Mention it at yer next gyno visit. She had a build up of uterine tissue that needed to be removed. I gorget the name of the condition, but it is very prevelant in women who have had C-sections.....

You might be talking about adenomyosis. I had that - and had 3 C-sections. It's really only diagnosed after hysterectomy, but it is strongly suspected with a history of C-sections and heavy, painful periods. My hemoglobin dropped down to 6.9 and wouldn't respond to iron supplements, so I had the hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did!
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »

You might be talking about adenomyosis. I had that - and had 3 C-sections. It's really only diagnosed after hysterectomy, but it is strongly suspected with a history of C-sections and heavy, painful periods. My hemoglobin dropped down to 6.9 and wouldn't respond to iron supplements, so I had the hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did!

Adnomyosis! Sounds right. C sections, adhesion's, heavy heavy bleeding, anemia.... they did 2 ablations and it recurred each time so they did a hysterectomy.
    My Photobucket Album
  • curlyjeancurlyjean Registered Users Posts: 72

I had this problem in my late 30's. I bled and bled and I was so tired of it. My Gyno did some testing and ruled out anything serious. He said he normally would have tried hormone tx therapy, but there is a strong family history of breast cancer on my mom's side and he felt it was too risky.

What we finally decided on was an endometrial ablation. It was out patient surgery and I felt great the very next day. And, a good percentage of women don't ever have another period after the procedure. The ones that do, have very light periods. I didn't have a period for about 3 months and when I did, wow, it was so light I only had to wear a panty liner for a couple of days. One of the best things I ever did. What a relief!
    3a/3b and fighting frizz!

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

Hair loves: Anything Curl Junkie, KathyMack soap bars, KBB milk, nectar and hair mask, Giovanni Leave-In conditioner, CLU cloths, my heavenly silk pillowcase and my bone comb with wide and fine tooth ends.

Happiness comes and goes, but joy resides in the soul, always. It is the soul's natural state and our job, as human beings, is to reside there as well.
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    tinah, my first peri symptom was somewhat irregular periods. I was 40-41. They got regular again off and on, and now I never know what to expect! (I'm 48 now.) But no really long gaps yet.

I know this might sound "out there," but listen to your body. For me, my hormone issues feel like normal perimenopause (and my doc confirms that), but for you it might be something else.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    alacurl wrote: »
    tinah, my first peri symptom was somewhat irregular periods. I was 40-41. They got regular again off and on, and now I never know what to expect! (I'm 48 now.) But no really long gaps yet.

I know this might sound "out there," but listen to your body. For me, my hormone issues feel like normal perimenopause (and my doc confirms that), but for you it might be something else.

That's really great advice. And I would also recommend reading this book to help you do that. This book really has helped me figure out what's "normal" for me and how to take the best care of myself. I recommend it to women of all ages, not just 40+....

2poodles wrote: »

Adnomyosis! Sounds right. C sections, adhesion's, heavy heavy bleeding, anemia.... they did 2 ablations and it recurred each time so they did a hysterectomy.

I've never had a C section (or a kid for that matter!), no anemia since I was little. I've hounded the doc about ablation and even just yanking the uterus right out, but no go. I'll just have to live with it til it decides to quit on it's own. It's not the worst thing in the world, just something I like to bi*ch about.
  • mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur

You're not whining. You have a right to have good care, so if I were you (and if I had insurance), I'd take the time to find doctors I can relate to, usually women.

I have to check my calendar, but I believe my last period was in April.

My hot flashes have gotten worse in the last couple of months but they're tolerable and thankfully quick and my face doesn't break out in a sweat.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    Well I don't know what the hell is going on. My period came right on time this month and was just like it normally is in length and intensity. maybe I'm starting pre pre-menopause! LOL!!! Boy was I bi*chy right before it showed up tho! Even the guys on my pool team were scared of me!
    CG - 3/27/09
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Is it possible for your cycle to get screwy even if you are taking the pill? This month I have been having breakthrough bleeding which is unusual so I am wondering if it's just me and my age.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Is it possible for your cycle to get screwy even if you are taking the pill? This month I have been having breakthrough bleeding which is unusual so I am wondering if it's just me and my age.

My uneducated guess would be yes. If your natural hormones are fluctuating that creates an imbalance, no?
    My Photobucket Album
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »

My uneducated guess would be yes. If your natural hormones are fluctuating that creates an imbalance, no?

That is what I was thinking too. My hormones are stronger than the pill!!! :cussing:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PatinaPatina Registered Users Posts: 3
    I am in peri now, my periods have been gone for eight months. It's Menopause Awareness Month in September, so I'm trying to put a good spin on it and be positive. One thing that has really helped me with hot flashes (my worst symptom) is changing my diet - no more alcohol, caffeine, refined sugars or flours, and a lot of omega-3's, tempeh, and green foods. Also, I started using a ChiliPad on my bed at night - it's a wonderful invention that lets you set any temperature you want on your bed even down to 46 degrees. WONDERFUL for hot flashes!!
    Patina wrote: »
    I am in peri now, my periods have been gone for eight months. It's Menopause Awareness Month in September, so I'm trying to put a good spin on it and be positive. One thing that has really helped me with hot flashes (my worst symptom) is changing my diet - no more alcohol, caffeine, refined sugars or flours, and a lot of omega-3's, tempeh, and green foods. Also, I started using a ChiliPad on my bed at night - it's a wonderful invention that lets you set any temperature you want on your bed even down to 46 degrees. WONDERFUL for hot flashes!!

Patrina - that ChiliPad looks AWESOME!! I'm definitely going to keep that in mind for if my night time hotflashes get worse... Thanks for the tip!

• CricketCricket Registered Users Posts: 205

Jeep, this is me too. I'm at 25 days. About 3-5 days to get started then 2 really heavy days and then up to 5 days to go away. So about 1/2 the month is period.

Both my mother and sister where finnished at 48. I am 47, so I thought I would be getting rid of this mess soon, but it doesn't look that way!

I might have to look into the ablation because I do get anemic and have to take iron supplements.
    3a fine, thin, loose curls
    http://public.fotki.com/CricketCurl/
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one! : )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file