Anyone try Lorraine Massey's 'Love Is In The Hair' recipe?

Did it work for you?
I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.

Comments

• SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    i did it a few weeks ago. I put it on in the afternoon and left it on overnight. When I rinsed it out, I have Very soft, moisturized hair.

*tip, make sure you mix it all together well.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Posts: 38Registered Users
    I've been doing it once per week. I tried it with olive oil and jojoba but I found solid coconut oil so I tried that. I wet my hair, mixed the oil and conditioner together (melted the oil in the microwave first) and then put it in my hair. I let it dry, and then slept on it. In the morning, I did a Lemon-aid (conditioner with lemon juice wash) and my hair was fab! Very shiny and well moisturised.

I also put some on my daughter's very long, slightly wavy hair and she did the same thing. minus the co wash.. Her hair looked great!
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
  • dumplings_of_doomdumplings_of_doom Posts: 65Registered Users
    So far, which oil has worked best for you? I finally tried it [with olive oil] and my hair turned out fairy nice.
  • BurlesqueCantataBurlesqueCantata Posts: 113Registered Users
    how do you make it? i dont have the book, and it sounds like its a great product!
  • dumplings_of_doomdumplings_of_doom Posts: 65Registered Users
    You need 4 tablespoons of olive or almond oil. 4 tablespoons of conditioner (any), and 2-3 drops of musk oil or another essential oil.Mix well and apply to wet hair, until your whole head is saturated. Use the entire amount for long hair; half the amount for shoert hair. Scrunch dry, then use clips to lift and seperate the curls, as you would when styling. Leave in over night or for several hours during the day. Rinse thoroughly with a combination of conditioner mixed with lemon juice and vinegar. (Sorry it took so long for me to post it!)
  • KajikitKajikit Posts: 22Registered Users
    I'm trying it right now... it's funny - I'm sitting here at the computer with my hair in a t-shirt turban and the cats are FASCINATED - they've never seen meowmie with a funny-smelling white head before :)
    I used 2 tablespoons of conditioner, 2 tablespoons light olive oil, and 2 drops of pure lavender oil... my hair's in a turban and I'll take it off in 30 minutes and then let my hair sit for the afternoon before I rinse it out... now to see how it works out!
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    long thick wavy hair, suave naturals coconut girl, looking for curl!
  • KajikitKajikit Posts: 22Registered Users
    Cancel that... so much for letting it sit all day - DH just called and he's on his way home to pick me up to go get groceries! So I've got to go wash it out... I guess two hours is better than nothing, right?
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    long thick wavy hair, suave naturals coconut girl, looking for curl!
  • klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've tried it and swear by it. my hair just sucks it right up! Altough I'm getting bored with olive oil so I'm thinking of trying different kinds of oil. . . perhaps almond oil? we'll see . ..
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• The ScientistThe Scientist Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried it a few days ago and didn't have good results--my hair was super frizzed the next day. BUT, I think the condish I used was not good for my hair--too much protein I think :roll:. I am going to give it another shot in a few days prob.
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!
  • DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Posts: 93Registered Users
    I tried it last night. I left it on for 12 hours, but upon washing with co + lemon juice + acv this morning, my hair feels the same as it did before. What could I have done wrong?

EDIT: Each individual hair feels slightly thicker, especially toward the ends. Overall, though, my hair is still dry and frizzy. It feels as if I didn't condition at all.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    I know this is a long time later but for the benefit of anyone reading this the answer is "you over clarified, the Lemon-aid should've been enough."
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I've tried it and swear by it. my hair just sucks it right up! Altough I'm getting bored with olive oil so I'm thinking of trying different kinds of oil. . . perhaps almond oil? we'll see . ..

This isn't really realated to the topic, but I was looking at your fotki, and I noticed that you have a really similar curl pattern and texture to mine. I have some parts on my top layer that get a little stringy and I guess it's just that this part of my hair is a little more fine. Do you have that problem and if so how do you deal with that?

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Personally, I think 4 Tbsp. of oil is too much, especially olive oil which is kind of hard to remove, in reality I don't even bother with that one, I much prefer jojoba, coconut and avocado oils.

On Monday night I rinsed and applied some of my old Avalon Lavender + jojoba oil, then I rubbed a little of my daughter's Burt's Bees Avocado Butter on the canopy. Then I put on a plastic cap and my "Turbie Twist" over that and went to eat dinner. I rinsed it off after about 30 mins. first with warm water and then with cool. I finished with Suave's Ocean Breeze Liquid Gel and my hair turned out great, even the next day it refreshed perfectly. :D
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This isn't really realated to the topic, but I was looking at your fotki, and I noticed that you have a really similar curl pattern and texture to mine. I have some parts on my top layer that get a little stringy and I guess it's just that this part of my hair is a little more fine. Do you have that problem and if so how do you deal with that?

you know, I do get that sometimes too, and quite frankly it doesn't really bother me, so I don't really do anything about it. I just consider it one of my hair quirks :wink:
    The times that it does happen those parts feel a lil more dry than the rest, which makes sense since the top layer bears most of the brunt of damage since it's more exposed. Maybe just do a DT and/or co wash. When you condition make sure to take time with the ends and the top layer, maybe these things might help? HTH and good luck my curl-pattern sister! :D
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    What is the recipe? My book is at home.........somewhere :laughing9:
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• MaureneMaurene Posts: 69Registered Users
    Susan - the recipe is in the 6th post of this thread.

I tried this one night last week. I combined coconut oil with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mop-Top-Daily-Conditioner-p-313.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=moptop-daily-conditioner]Mop Top daily conditioner[/buylink] (and Ylang Ylang essential oil). It was messy and made my shower floor very slippery (so be careful if you put it on in the shower). I did not like sleeping in wet hair and my hair was still a little damp in the morning. But my hair (2c) came out very soft and had more shine. I can't say it did anything to improve the curl or reduce frizz. But several days later my hair is still feeling softer so I'll probably do this treatment again but perhaps not leave it on overnight or wrap my hair in t-shirt to keep me from getting cold.
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I'm going to do this one tonight.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • maybecurlymaybecurly Posts: 24Registered Users
    I tried this and it left my hair totally nasty. I used the lemon and vinegar to wash it out. Didn't work. I ended up having to use shampoo. I won't be trying this treatment again. Way to heavy and hard to get out of the hair and my hair didn't feel any different after ending up needing to use the shampoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file