CurlTalk

OT: What brand of foundation do very dark skinned women (like Alek Wek) wear?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
I don't think Mac has a shade dark enough. What other brands have *very* dark foundations? This has nothing to do with hair, I know...

Alek_25.jpg
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    I've wondered this as well. Someone told dark skinned women might not need make up becuase their skin color tends to hide imperfections. But I still don't think it's right to ignore very dark skin.
  • beetle87beetle87 Posts: 136Registered Users
    They have their foundation custom blended?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Mary Kay 808 might work for someone that color. I use 708 and it is the only foundation that actually matches my skin tone.
  • CammybCammyb Posts: 576Registered Users
    In person this model has beautiful skin. It appears damn near flawless. I do believe they may have custom blended makeup. Fashion Fair may have something too..

Phoenix wrote: »
    I don't think Mac has a shade dark enough. What other brands have *very* dark foundations? This has nothing to do with hair, I know...

Alek_25.jpg
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    Alek mentioned in an interview that she makes her own foundation.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • justicefighter1913justicefighter1913 Posts: 253Registered Users
    Hey Phoneix,

I do believe that Alek Wek makes her own custom blend. However if you can't do this let me recommend a brand to you if I may. I am a Mac girl through and through, I'm about a NW 45 in the fall and an NW 50 in the summer. But there are better brands in my opinion.

Check out Make Up Forever. Make Up Forever has a huge range of shades to choose from. You can check them out either online or in person at sephora stores or online at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sephora.com%2Fbrowse%2Fbrand_hierarchy1.jhtml%3FbrandId%3DMAKE%2BUP%2BFOR%2BEVER" class="Popup

Make UP For Ever is a little on the high end, but you get your money's worth and they last a really long time b/c the coverage is so good.

Another brand that a lot of WOC sleep on is Smashbox cosmetics. I love this one too! Smashbox is specifically designed for photoshoots and anything dealing with reflecting light. What does this mean for you? A more natural and evened out look when you walk into the natural light instead of looking great while you're in the artificial cosmetics store.

Both of these brands have made me ease up off of the MAC, in terms of foundations. All of their other things are great too though.

So check it out!

P.S.--This is not a paid endorsement of either of these products :toothy9:
    Hair goals: 1) healthy hair 2) BSL by 12/10:viking:
    Recovering from a "scissor happy stylist "setback:tongue2:
    My Fotki: A work in progress:clock:
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    As an actor, I can tell you that makeup artists us regular brands (Mac, Makeup Forever, etc.), but every single one has professional custom palettes that range from paper white to jet black. There are several brands you've never heard of available at beauty supplies that cater to the entertainment/fashion industry.

Those in need and the know get their foundation there.

Anyone doing makeup for Alek knows ahead of time to bring out their rarely-used dark spectrum kit.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    THANKS EVERYONE! Good info!

I wonder how Alek makes her foundation...like from what?
    There are several brands you've never heard of available at beauty supplies that cater to the entertainment/fashion industry.
    And could you be more specific? Like which brands/stores? Thanks!!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users
    she probally mixes different shades together like at mac i am between a nw45 and nw50 depending on the season. so in the summer i mix nw50 mineral makeup with a little bronzer to match my red undertones. but in the winter i like going to prescriptives and they custom blend makeup for you. i also have a mineral makeup collection from ocean mist that has only the darker shades they also carry a make your own makeup kit. i also wear the queen collection from cover girl natural hue q540 is a very pretty dark shade. i love makeup i could go on all day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
    Hey April,

You and I seem to have the same mix going on here. NW 45 Fall and NW 50 summer. Has the covergirl queen collection worked well for you? Hmmm, I might have to check it out...I can't MUFE/MAC it all the time :( damn, the economy!
    she probally mixes different shades together like at mac i am between a nw45 and nw50 depending on the season. so in the summer i mix nw50 mineral makeup with a little bronzer to match my red undertones. but in the winter i like going to prescriptives and they custom blend makeup for you. i also have a mineral makeup collection from ocean mist that has only the darker shades they also carry a make your own makeup kit. i also wear the queen collection from cover girl natural hue q540 is a very pretty dark shade. i love makeup i could go on all day.
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    CityGirl81 wrote: »
    Mary Kay 808 might work for someone that color. I use 708 and it is the only foundation that actually matches my skin tone.
    I was just gonna suggest that. I use 600.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    In Sephora, Makeupforever has SEVERAL shades that are dark enough for someone Alex's complection to walk in off the street and get a perfect match. Thier darker foundation range is amazing and when I use up all my Mac, I'm going to give them a try.

Currently, I mix two Mac shades to get a perfect match. I'm a NW50 in the summer, and a NW45 in the winter, and somewhere inbetween in the spring/fall depending on how much sun I get. So I mix enough for 2-3 applications at a time in a smaller container (liquid foundation) and I have a container that even allows me to mix the powders also. It's a bit of work, but not impossible, and it works for me.

Good luck.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Yea! another MUFE fan!:wink:
    In Sephora, Makeupforever has SEVERAL shades that are dark enough for someone Alex's complection to walk in off the street and get a perfect match. Thier darker foundation range is amazing and when I use up all my Mac, I'm going to give them a try.

Currently, I mix two Mac shades to get a perfect match. I'm a NW50 in the summer, and a NW45 in the winter, and somewhere inbetween in the spring/fall depending on how much sun I get. So I mix enough for 2-3 applications at a time in a smaller container (liquid foundation) and I have a container that even allows me to mix the powders also. It's a bit of work, but not impossible, and it works for me.

Good luck.
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users
    justicefighter1913,
    i love drug store makeup i have a stick in suede mocha from black opal, i have some powder from iman, and i am loving the queen collection naural hue compact foundation it even came with a free bronzer which actually gives pretty good coverage alone. i have used a little of everything from really heavy coverage dermablend (which covers everything from severe acne to birthmarks) mac studio fix to very light tinted moisturizers, i really think the queen collection is really good makeup. go to walgreens and look at some testers. the only thing i that i really have to splurge on is my mac plum perfect tinted lip conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    THANKS EVERYONE! Good info!

I wonder how Alek makes her foundation...like from what?
    There are several brands you've never heard of available at beauty supplies that cater to the entertainment/fashion industry.
    And could you be more specific? Like which brands/stores? Thanks!!!

In Los Angeles, Naimie's Beauty Supply is where EVERYONE goes. You can google the brands there to see if they're available in your area.

I peeped their site today:

www.naimies.com

For another over-the-counter brand, Iman?
    cool! thanks!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    So I'm watching an AJ Crimson video on You Tube and he is using William Tuttle foundation on this model and it looks awesome. I looked it up online, and there is one that is super dark even. Really impressive, and supposedly good for African American skin tones.

Anyone have any idea which I should get? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.makeupmania.com%2Fdetails%2FTI-0013-01-000.cfm" class="Popup

I currently wear Becca Sepia Luminous Skin Color and MAC NC45. Concealer is Bobbi Brown Golden.

Please please please help me! :D

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • tightlycurlygurltightlycurlygurl Posts: 67Registered Users

Alek_25.jpg

You can try Sacha Cosmetics. It's a brand you've probably never heard of but I'm from the Caribbean and we have women with lots of different skin complexions from very light to really dark like Alek Wek.

www.sachacosmetics.com
    4a/b, fine to medium, high porosity.
    Co wash: VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
    DC: SheaMoisture deep treatments
    Leave-In: KCKT, VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry and Sage, SheaM
    Styling: KCCC, sometimes ecostyler, Donna Marie MiraCurls.
    "Rejoice in the hope!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the latest recs. I've heard of Sacha and wanted to try it, but they stopped making the product I wanted.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

CurlyArca~

The WT swatches make it impossible to tell what the real shades are. The Chinese II swatch looks way darker than it does in AJ's vid. On the vid it looks like it might be close to Becca's Sepia. The foundation finish on the vid looks great too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• cammiecamcammiecam Posts: 122Registered Users
    I was also going to suggest MUFE. Make Up For Ever has TONS of shades, and more than the ones that the sell at Sephora. If you're in NYC they have a boutique in the NYU area that can order special shades for you...
  • tightlycurlygurltightlycurlygurl Posts: 67Registered Users
    Thanks for the latest recs. I've heard of Sacha and wanted to try it, but they stopped making the product I wanted.

Which product is that?
    4a/b, fine to medium, high porosity.
    Co wash: VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
    DC: SheaMoisture deep treatments
    Leave-In: KCKT, VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry and Sage, SheaM
    Styling: KCCC, sometimes ecostyler, Donna Marie MiraCurls.
    "Rejoice in the hope!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Which product is that?

A pink and purple e/s quad...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Illamasqua makes an almost Black foundation, I just found out:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fillamasqua.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F07%2Fultimate-foundation-swatch-part-1-rich.html" class="Popup

You'll have to scroll down.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fillamasqua.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F07%2Fultimate-foundation-swatch-part-1-rich.html" class="Popup

This is the only brand where I've seen black foundation. They have white too. I like brands that consider everyone and doesn't just cut off at medium brown. i think the coverage is even better than MAC.
  • maysaymaysay Posts: 218Registered Users
    I've never been able to find anything to match my skin color. I do use the Mac tinted moisturizer sometimes in the darkest color it comes in, but that's even too light for me.

But, most people think my skin is completely fine because of the color. I have bad acne scars but I'm the only one who can see them (aside from the dermatologist).

• P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users

Very cool!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    OT I just think Alek Wek's skin is just beautiful. In general, I think dark skin is so attractive. It ages so beautifully (if at all!) I wanted to be dark when I was young and insecure about my own looks, because I didn't like how I looked at all. Darker skin seems so ageless and timeless. Such a beautiful attribute to have.
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    bump
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • msmchymsmchy Posts: 40Registered Users
    For drugstore I'd say Iman, For department brands I'd say Fashion Fair , (/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fashionfair.com%2Fassembled%2Fhome.html" class="Popup)

... or Iman, (/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imancosmetics.com%2F" class="Popup)

..Also check out Ben Nye Entertainment makeup( /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stagemakeuponline.com%2Fcreme%2520colors%2F" class="Popup , /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bennyemakeup.com%2F" class="Popup), for stage and film actors. They have an amazing range of colors for every tone.