CurlTalk

Product Sensitivity?

I've mentioned my wavy 2a-2b sister on here a few times. I have another question concerning her hair (she is thinking about going mod-CG).

She's really sensitive to products. Even if you put some light CG Spray Gel in her hair, it feels a little itchy afterward. And she claims that a regular gel makes her hair super-greasy and weird-feeling. It's like I can't experiment with any products on her because it will always be "itchy" or something. I don't know what to do.

She also really scared of product buildup and thinks that she has product buildup from her shampoo (she was only using shampoo for a while - no conditioner). And I said that shampoo can't build up in her hair.

What should I do? She told me that if her hair "gets used to the product" it's even worse because of "product buildup" (she used that word a million times in the conversation!)

Please help me help her :)
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    Hi! I'm a 2b as well, so I kind of understand the problems your sister is having.

What kind of conditioner was your sister using? If she is using a conditioner with silicones in it, she probably does have quite a bit of buildup. Tell her to switch to a lighter conditioner like Suave or V05.

Firstly, I never apply product on the roots of my hair (that would eliminate the itchy scalp problem). I also have the same problem with buildup from gels and creams. Has she considered using a mousse? They do well on 2a/b hair much better than other things because mousses are much lighter.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    porque_pig wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 2b as well, so I kind of understand the problems your sister is having.

What kind of conditioner was your sister using? If she is using a conditioner with silicones in it, she probably does have quite a bit of buildup. Tell her to switch to a lighter conditioner like Suave or V05.

Firstly, I never apply product on the roots of my hair (that would eliminate the itchy scalp problem). I also have the same problem with buildup from gels and creams. Has she considered using a mousse? They do well on 2a/b hair much better than other things because mousses are much lighter.

She actually wasn't using any conditioner until about 2 days ago, when she started using a pea-sized drop of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner.

Good idea about the product-hair root thing. I'll tell her. Thank you; that's very helpful. I do think a mousse would be a better choice.

:)
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?