Do any of you do yoga?

tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
I'm considering taking classes and I was wondering what benefits you've gotten from it. Would it help at all with weight loss?
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I've taken yoga classes off and on for years. Its great for maintaining flexibility.I wouldn't say it is the key to weight loss, but that's just me. I tend to stay about the same weight, a bit over what I'd like to be, but I don't gain or lose easily.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    I tried yoga for a while; I really need it for flexibility to avoid injuries. But its boring (to me) and not worth the time when I could be running or weight training instead.:glasses11:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    Well I'm overweight so I thought maybe building a little bit of muscle might help to burn some fat. As far as running... yeah I don't run anywhere for anything. My boobs are far too big for that. If someone was chasing me they could just catch me cause I'm not gonna run. They might get more than they bargained for if they do get me but that's another story.

Some flexibility wouldn't hurt. this gives me something to think about. Thanks ladies.
    CG - 3/27/09
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I love yoga! I've been practicing Iyengar style yoga for about 10 years, fairly regularly. I've found it really helps my chronic low back pain and is great for instilling a feeling of clarity and calmness. My core strength, balance and muscle definition have been greatly improved as well. Give it a try!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    tinah wrote: »
    Well I'm overweight so I thought maybe building a little bit of muscle might help to burn some fat. As far as running... yeah I don't run anywhere for anything. My boobs are far too big for that. If someone was chasing me they could just catch me cause I'm not gonna run. They might get more than they bargained for if they do get me but that's another story.

Some flexibility wouldn't hurt. this gives me something to think about. Thanks ladies.

lol. I gotcha. How about walking? Its a great workout. And yes, more muscle equals faster metabolism.

But really the key is finding something you enjoy doing and sticking with it!:glasses11:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    rudeechick wrote: »
    tinah wrote: »

lol. I gotcha. How about walking? Its a great workout. And yes, more muscle equals faster metabolism.

But really the key is finding something you enjoy doing and sticking with it!:glasses11:

I like walking. I used to do it all the time. I lost a lot of weight walking two miles a day. But that was a long time ago and right now I just can't stand the heat outside. It's just too hot. So I thought maybe something to do until the weather cooled off some. When it cools off more I'd like to start walking again. But I'd also like some core strengthening exercises and something I could do while the boys are in preschool during the morning. They have school from 9-12 and I'd like something I could do at home (in the a/c lol) and still be able to have time to get some work done around the house.

My cable company has a free on-demand channel that offers several yoga programs from beginner to advanced so I thought I'd start with that and then one of the girls in my four year old's class - her mother owns a yoga studio - I thought if I like it I might start taking classes there once a week or something. Her prices are really inexpensive and it's close to the house.
    CG - 3/27/09
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    It sounds like yoga is a convenient option for you and will be easy for your to fit into your schedule. That's a big bonus.

If you can take up walking again, I think you'll most likely see more weight loss from that or some other form of cardio. Yoga can build endurance as well, depending on what kind of practice you do, but walking is about as straightforward as it gets!

I do yoga primarily for my spine. For me, yoga was initially very frustrating. A lot of the moves require a base level of strength which (in my opinion) is easier to achieve through strength training than through yoga. Many of the moves also focus on small muscles which can be hard to identify if you don't have an instructor. I found that I got a lot more out of yoga after I had developed upper body and core strength.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    I love yoga and notice a big difference in the way my clothes fit when I'm attending regular classes, at least 2x weekly.

I also walk as often as possible, 4-5x a week at least 2 miles, often times 3+ miles.
    2b/3a.
  • mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur
    I too love yoga. I do it for a lot of different reasons, but the most important one is because I want to stay healthy and flexible so my quality of life later in life is as good as it can be. I combine it with walking.

It's never boring to me because I turn on Howard Stern on the radio and put on Steve Ross's "Inhale" yoga I've recorded, so I find myself laughing out loud in some of the poses. Maybe not the ideal way to do it, but I sure enjoy it. I turn off Howard for the cool down relaxation portion at the end.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    I love yoga too. I do it at my local gym, mum got her and I a membership last christmas, so I usually go with her. It's nice bonding in a non direct kind of way. The positive that I do it at the gym is that my membership covers all classes aerobic, pump and yoga as well as the use of all the weights and cardio machines. You also have the option of adding in personal training sessions and working with someone in terms of diet etc. Did I mention it's a female only gym? which to me makes a huge difference - so much more comfortable as i don't have to worry that males are perving on me in my leggings!

I have a few yoga dvd's but find some are better then others, depending on the style. Plus I'm better with classes and my instructor is excellent; modifying poses for different peoples needs. She makes sure she gets to know you and your needs. And her class is all about you - you can just lie there on the floor for the whole thing but as long as you get what you wanted out of the class she doesn't mind one bit!

I think it's great for not only flexibility and core strength but I find it very benefical for my mental health - I completely zone out for that hour - hour and a half. And I really notice the difference when I've skipped it for the week; not only to I feel stiff but I tend to more easily aggrevate or emotional.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Registered Users Posts: 362
    There are different kinds of yoga. I do Ashtanga yoga, also called "Power Yoga" here in the west. I guarantee you it IS cardio, and definitely NOT boring. I did lose 40 pounds by doing it, and got a great shape, which I never would have thought I could ever achieve. It also gave me strength and endurance.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
    ^^I want to try power yoga..I do yoga once or twice a week in addition to going to the gym...i do the the yoga that starts with the letter "a" ashtanga or something like that ..I eventually would like to try Birkram yoga..again.
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
    ^^^ forgot to add..i get the best sleep when i do yoga..
  • kamagukamagu Registered Users Posts: 165
    Do any of you have a suggestion of a good beginner's dvd for yoga? I'm too far away from a studio to sign up for classes, and would really like to start...thanks :)
    Wavy/Curly Hair (2b, 2c & 3a)
    Hair Texture: Fine
    Hair Porosity: Low to Normal
    Hair Density: Medium
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Registered Users Posts: 345
    I'm only 14, but I really wanna start doing yoga; I get a good amount of sleep, but sometimes I get so stressed that I have trouble sleeping. Plus, my mom THINKS she's overweight, but she gets so stressed that she can't sleep, so she'd probably wanna do it, too. I'll probably look up some videos on YouTube and see where it takes me. Thanks for posting this!:toothy4:
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    This is another yoga thread, and there are a couple of good videos recommended in it. I hope you find a way to do it, I know a lot of people who really enjoy doing yoga.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • kamagukamagu Registered Users Posts: 165
    Thanks for the link, it helps :)
    Wavy/Curly Hair (2b, 2c & 3a)
    Hair Texture: Fine
    Hair Porosity: Low to Normal
    Hair Density: Medium
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Registered Users Posts: 362
    The one I used is called Yoga For Weight Loss. It's great for beginners. One thing I particularly liked, was they had different women of different sizes doing the poses. Some used modifications, for those who are not so flexible. It sure made me, a beginner at the time, feel much better, not only about my size, but that I couldn't do it perfectly like the teacher. But as I got better and started losing the weight, I changed my focus to the smaller girls, and less modifications. So the DVD sort of "grew" with me.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    The one I used is called Yoga For Weight Loss. It's great for beginners. One thing I particularly liked, was they had different women of different sizes doing the poses. Some used modifications, for those who are not so flexible. It sure made me, a beginner at the time, feel much better, not only about my size, but that I couldn't do it perfectly like the teacher. But as I got better and started losing the weight, I changed my focus to the smaller girls, and less modifications. So the DVD sort of "grew" with me.

That is an excellent DVD. I still use it even though I am not a beginner any more.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Conditioning-Weight-Suzanne-Deason/dp/B00004TKIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254410814&sr=1-1

But for a beginner, I strongly suggest starting with live classes before trying DVDs. A teacher can show you little things that make the poses work -- which is nearly impossible to figure out on your own.
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Registered Users Posts: 295
    Tinah,

I just started Yoga yesterday and plan on doing it daily atleast once and when I can twice a day. I also started walking. I am also overweight and have just gotten to the point where every other kind of excercise just hurts me too bad. So I am doing it to gain strength and flexibility and lose weight so I can do more of the activities i like doing like dancing and wearing heals again.

I didn't have the confidence to join a class just yet so I went and bought a Rodney Yee video for beginners and a mat. I am loving it so far and have already noticed that my back is not hurting anymore. Once I become more flexible and more confident I will probably joint a class I think our hospital has a free yoga class.

I am hoping Yoga + walking + diet will lead to weight loss for me.

Let me know if you will join. Also their is a great resource about yoga at yogajournal.com
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • zumbagirlzumbagirl Registered Users Posts: 61
    I love yoga. I don't use it for weight loss, but for flexibility. It is part of my regular exercise routine that includes cardio, strength training. I really enjoy POWER YOGA. I practice Yoga most evenings. Roll out my mat and practice poses while my family watches TV. I hope you try it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file