CurlTalk

Hair color doesn't take?

carlyisapiratecarlyisapirate Posts: 59Registered Users
So, since last year, I have been dying my hair brown/black. When I first started dying my hair this shade, it took really good. But recently the dye hasn't been taking. I usually leave the dye in for 15-20 minutes. Should I leave it in longer?
& I dye my hair at home. I would love to go to a salon but it's really expensive, especially if I want to dye it regularly.

Thanks so much for your answers. xx :)

Comments

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    So, since last year, I have been dying my hair brown/black. When I first started dying my hair this shade, it took really good. But recently the dye hasn't been taking. I usually leave the dye in for 15-20 minutes. Should I leave it in longer?
    & I dye my hair at home. I would love to go to a salon but it's really expensive, especially if I want to dye it regularly.

Thanks so much for your answers. xx :)

Sounds like you have porous hair. I have a similar problem and find that semi permanent color stays longer in my hair than permanent (something about the way it bonds with the hair). Also what kind of products are you using? Are you CG?
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Also watch its not coated with products before you colour....
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    This is common with black hair dye. I know you didnt use straight black but the black dye is most likely why its not taking. You may need to remove some of the black dye to make the hair able to absorb hair dye again. You can google more info on black hair dye for a better understanding.