does anyone liglhten their curly brown hair

valwvalw Registered Users Posts: 4
I would love to have lighter color hair..I would just hate to damage my hair though..I know lightening does make hair a little straighter but my hair could probaby use that..Im starting to get grey so I do have to color my hair now anyway..

txs

val

Comments

• sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    i have dark brown hair and have revlon colorsilk in medium golden brown on my head as i type this! i'm so nervous... i don't think i've ever tried going this light on my own before. i'll let you know how it goes, how well it covers my grey, and what it does to my curl!
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • msgdfx1msgdfx1 Registered Users Posts: 106
    Hi. I lighten my dark brown hair. I have used the Hi-Lift Colors put out by Feria and L'oreal with some success. I recently used Feria in Medium Brown which successfully lightens my hair 1 shade.
    3C and natural for 5 years:angel10:.
  • JaxieJaxie Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    I actually just had my brown hair lightened last week. I was really scared to b/c last time my hair ended up in really bad shape, but that I figured out was b/c 1-They used way too harsh products on my delicate hair, and 2- I did not condition enough at all!
    So, this time I went to a salon that uses Aveda products and so far everything is A-OK!
    I'm going to try to post some pix later today if you're interested!
    Have a Super day!
    ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Lightening your hair won't necessarily change the curl pattern. I've dyed my hair a few times in the past few months (I used to color my hair all the time), and I decided to try some ammonia-free dyes. I've used: Herbal Essence, NaturTint, and I'm about to try Revlon Colorsilk. I didn't feel like the two I've used were especially damaging, I'm just having a hard time finding just the right shade! You can do protein DTs to help counteract any damage (but wait at least 10 days after dyeing, otherwise it can strip the color).
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • spydrwbspydrwb Registered Users Posts: 1
    i was just talking to a beautician about this a week ago. the ammonia in hair lightener DOES straighten curls. In fact she said that some people use the hair dye as a way to loosen tight curls. I bleached my hair and it became straight as a pin. i absolutely hated it and had to wait months for it to all grow out. another time i died it with a 40 volume and another time a 30 volume lightener and both times it straightened my curls. less than the bleach but still definitely straightened out my curls.

the beautician said that the only pretty safe way to lighten curls without straightening or loosening them is to use a rinse or some type of non ammonia temporary dye.

between my over 30 years of experience with my curls and her 15 years of beautician experience i would definitely trust that chemically lightening most definitely can straighten your curls
    In that case I'm glad I only used ammonia-free dyes! :wink: FYI, there are permanent dyes that don't have ammonia in them. The ones I names are all permanent haircolor- they do, however, have peroxide in them. Not as damaging as ammonia, but obviously more damaging than peroxide-free dyes.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    I use Herbatint.

It's very gentle, smells good, covers greys and does NOT contain ammonia.

You can look for it in stores that have a natural heath and beauty section.
    My hair is dark brown and I usually go a little bit lighter or sometimes use a color that adds a red cast.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    I use Herbatint.

It's very gentle, smells good, covers greys and does NOT contain ammonia.

You can look for it in stores that have a natural heath and beauty section.
    My hair is dark brown and I usually go a little bit lighter or sometimes use a color that adds a red cast.
    may give this a try next go-around...

Currently loving:
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Registered Users Posts: 274 Curl Neophyte
    I've lightened my hair with ammonia-based color this summer and my curls are a bit looser. [Bleach will almost straighten them, so I avoid that unless I'm doing pintura highlights.] The problem is that non-ammonia color won't make your hair lighter; it just doesn't lift enough pigment. So when I want to go lighter I make the curl sacrifice. I use Clairol Balsam Color if I'm going lighter and Revlon Colorsilk to tint within the same color level where I am. They seem to be the gentlest on my hair as far as drugstore brands go, and happen to be the cheapest.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • storres56storres56 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am a curly 3c who colors very often. I currently use clairol's Texture and Tones line in Bronze Blonde. I absolutely have no problem with coloring and have not experienced a change in texture. My curls are still very spiral. I've also used Loreal's blonde colors.
    [/url]
    Extra Thick Zigzag SpiralTop Nappy Blond 3C circa 1997
    NYC
    modegrrl wrote:
    The problem is that non-ammonia color won't make your hair lighter; it just doesn't lift enough pigment.

You can definitely lighten your hair without ammonia. I have very dark brown hair naturally, which is now dyed red. Obviously it'll only work to a certain extent... I mean, if I wanted to go blonde, I would need bleach, even ammonia wouldn't work for that!
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • lauren1904lauren1904 Registered Users Posts: 19
    I talk from experience that after I went blonde I also went straight....or at least a nasty looking wavy hair. I used to have THICK curly healthy hair and after I died it disappeared. It's a lot thinner now and I've lost all of my curl. No matter how much I condition or how great the products are, the curls won't come back. And it's DEFINITELY from lightening it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my blond hair now, even if it does take a lot of work. But my curls are definitely gone because of it.
    2B/3A
    shoulder blade length
    RECENTLY blonde!!!
  • DMarieDMarie Registered Users Posts: 89
    My hairdresser uses a no-ammonia dye, and I go from light brown to blonde on blonde with no problem. My curls are fine. You might have to baby them for a couple of days afterwards, but your hair shouldn't be straight. Even when I used bleach and ammonia, my curls were fine. You might want to look into a different brand of dye.
    i have dark brown hair and have revlon colorsilk in medium golden brown on my head as i type this! i'm so nervous... i don't think i've ever tried going this light on my own before. i'll let you know how it goes, how well it covers my grey, and what it does to my curl!
    Quick update - I loved the colorsilk and plan to use it again when I start to get roots. It's been about 4 weeks and it hasn't even started to fade! And it definitely didn't effect my curl or the health of my hair at all.

Currently loving:
  • PJsMomPJsMom Registered Users Posts: 173
    msgdfx1 wrote:
    Hi. I lighten my dark brown hair. I have used the Hi-Lift Colors put out by Feria and L'oreal with some success. I recently used Feria in Medium Brown which successfully lightens my hair 1 shade.

this what i used as well..it worked out nicely. my hair was a little lighter than i expected, but i love it anyway. i used the feria hi lift brown...downtown brown
    3c/4a

BC - 25 July 2006
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    3 years ago when I went from dark burgundy brown to dark blonde I had my hair cut first so the procedure would be done on relatively healthy hair but I suffered loss of curl because my hair was very abused. The lightening was not done properly, a color remover should've been used first yet not even a regular bleach was used but something "with natural ingredients" that I found out while still on my head was only meant to lift colors of the same line.:?

I had to insist on regular bleach but due to lack of time it was not left on long enough and the ends of my hair were still darker, so a few days later I applied an oil bleach (gentler than powder) on the last 4 inches and then a semi-permanent color. That faded out in about two weeks so I put something else then. Naturally, all those chemicals damaged my hair and left me nearly straight. I had to use a protein DT practically every time I wet my hair and I did roller sets often, which would last several days, thus minimizing the handling of my hair, and gave my hair the appearance of health. I had to trim my hair several times that year to get rid of those fried ends.

But all that is totally unnecessary if the person only wants to go about 3 shades lighter, no bleach is needed for that. Even though my natural color was dark brown, when I was a young girl I had a very nice light brown shade which I got from using a shampoo-in formula in a blond shade, (usually "Nice "n Easy" #106 or "Miss Clairol" #32).

So to anyone "out there" who wants to lighten but hasn't for fear it will damage your hair, try the simple one-step lightening. If you want to minimize orange/copper tones on your hair choose an ASH shade that's not too light (or else there won't be enough pigment in it to neutralize), but if you don't mind the warm tones pick the lightest blonde there is and you'll be surprised at the results.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • curlyhedcurlyhed Registered Users Posts: 8
    So to anyone "out there" who wants to lighten but hasn't for fear it will damage your hair, try the simple one-step lightening. If you want to minimize orange/copper tones on your hair choose an ASH shade that's not too light (or else there won't be enough pigment in it to neutralize), but if you don't mind the warm tones pick the lightest blonde there is and you'll be surprised at the results.

What if you wanted to go the other way, and wanted to colour light/golden/copper/reddish highlights with a solid dark brown colour? [I am trying to go back to my natural colour, as I am really tired of the never ending cycle of hair colour].

The colour I'm looking at is simply a dark brown - I actually put down the dark ash brown colour because it looked too grey/green to me. Should I be going back for the ash colour?
    With that many shades of highlights it wouldn't be quite safe to put an ash on as the lighter strands could turn out greenish. I think the dark brown will cover all of them fine. However, to minimize the possibility of damage and excessive absorption of pigment use just a semi-permanent formula. You probably don't even need to let it develop full time so monitor closely after the first 5-10 mins. as that may be enough for it to reach the shade you need.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• juvjoyjuvjoy Registered Users Posts: 670
    I went from this to this just a couple of weeks ago. She lightened all over w/ color & foiled my whole head & my hair stayed in wonderful condition & is actually even CURLIER because it gave more "bulk" to my hair. I had very good luck - I should ask what products for the color & foils she used.

updatedhair001.jpgnewblonde005.jpg

Kim
    I am glad juvjoy posted her pics and testimony because some of you are a little confused about lightening and loss of curl. That only happens WHEN considerable damage to the hair has happened (beyond the cuticle into the cortex) and that would require a) for a harsh bleach to have been used, b) bleach mixture left on too long as when trying to achieve the pale yellow stage (lowest) on very dark hair, c) hair that already had minor damage and/or was too fine but lightening just a few levels should not cause any significant damage.

When there is loss of curl what happens is that the process destroyed too much protein thus causing the disulfide bonds of the hair (which give the hair its strength and shape) to be weakened/reshaped. You all read what I subjected my hair to but it didn't really become totally straight, was wavy really which on medium length hair I didn't like. During that time I found that "protein pack" treatments and Fermodyl # 0233, a liquid protein leave-in for very damaged hair, temporarily restored some of my curl.

Most salons today have very fine products that minimize the risk of damage and an experienced stylist will evaluate your hair first to get an idea of what it can withstand. The one-step lightening, even when done with a brand other than Colorsilk, is the same as coloring your hair, so it affects the hair rather little.

• NehNeh Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi, I have Black hair and I used Herbal Essence Copper color and it came out great. With herbal essence they give you a deep conditioner to use to keep the color and to keep it moisturized for the next six week's. I loved it and used it 3x's in highlighting my hair. :D:)
    <*>V<*>
  • elsiesueelsiesue Registered Users Posts: 17
    Your hair is gorgeous, juvjoy!!! Love the color!
    Neh:

That's great! Do you have any pics so we can admire your hair?

• EnchantedCurlsEnchantedCurls Registered Users Posts: 7
    Like "Juvjoy" my hair is naturally dark brown and I've gone to blond highlights/lowlights. They've colored my hair all over, done full-head foils, and one stylist used bleach a few times. I have my thick, 3a hair highlighted (at a professional salon only) every two months or so and my curl has never been damaged. In fact, after I get my hair done, several people will ask if I've gotten a perm! Ha ha! Boy are they envious when I say "No, it's naturally curly!" The last two times I've gotten color treatment, they've used Wella. I have no idea if it's ammonia free or not. I just know it works.
    3a, thick, medium length w/hi- and low-lights

From there to here, from here to there,
    funny things are everywhere.
    - Dr. Seuss

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file