Mother Nature Stole My Energy & I Want It Back...

LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
Anyone else here experiencing a very low energy level? I just drag myself around. I'm not going out with my friends or accepting dates, because I'm just too tired. I'm feeling frustrated. I'd go to a doctor, but I don't have health insurance nor the money.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I hear ya! I've fought that feeling off and on for many years, for many different reasons - depression, thyroid, migraine meds, hormones, sleep habits, work schedules.
    Add in my basic laziness and it's a real effort to get things done.
    But I work hard at it. I usually sleep really well (room darkening blinds, no tv or radio in the bedroom ever, nice sheets and blankets), I take my meds and vitamins, I try to get at least a little exercise almost every day (even if it's just some jumping jacks or a walk around the block), and I force myself to go out and be social (I have a tendency to hermit-ness).

I have no advice but 'hugs' and just know that you aren't alone.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Are you on hormones? I'm not and I'm wondering if this would help. Maybe Geritol?
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    When I had iron deficiency anemia I felt the exact same way. Is it possible that it might be that? Could it be depression?
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I know jeepcurlygirl mentioned vitamins. I wanted to specifically give a shout-out for a B Complex supplement. I was draggy and tired for a long time, and a bit depressed. Then I added B Complex and it's helped. By no means do I now have energy to train for a marathon daily or anything like that, but I do have more energy and I don't hit a slump during the day like I used to. Also, added perk -- it has reduced my shedding tremendously for some reason.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • LL~2009LL~2009 Registered Users Posts: 146
    I agree with the advice for b-complex. I also believe i need a balanced diet that includes proteins and veggies.
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
    tinah wrote: »
    When I had iron deficiency anemia I felt the exact same way. Is it possible that it might be that? Could it be depression?

I think it may be a combination. When you don't have energy, it can be depressing. I'm going to try the Geritol. I will get some tomorrow. I take a lot of vitamins including the B complex.

I have a 4 day weekend. I have a friend who wants me to go to the pool at a resort on Saturday and a cookout at her house on Sunday. I have another friend who wants us to get our grandsons together on Sunday. My daughter wants me to go up North with her and her family on Sunday and come back Monday night.

I had a man approach me at the grocery store today and gave me his #. He wants to go out for cocktails. He was very nice and attractive. I just feel so exhausted all the time. I even left work very early yesterday, because of this. I told my boss I was sick, but it was because I felt so tired and just didn't want to be there.

I really need to get a handle on this.

ETA: It may also be my allergies. It's happened to me in the past. I tried Benatryl last night, but it really got my RLS acting up.

ETA (again): My friends and family have told me I should eat bread. I don't. Not that I don't like it, but I tend to gain weight when I eat it. I've been eating whole wheat or whole grain bread for the last 2 weeks, thinking I should have this in my diet. I think this may be the culprit. I may be allergic to the gluten. I just bought a loaf today and may be throwing it out.
    From Michael Berg:

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    Yes to vitamin B and even more helpful to me - vitamin D.
    I don't take any hormones. I haven't even started perimenopause yet. My old regular hormones give me fits.
    I have no allergies so I have no idea how people react to them, but it's worth looking into.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I wonder if it could peri/menopause. Are you sleeping okay at night or are you waking up with night sweats? I know I go through cycles of high and low energy, kinda like the tides! I've learned to take advantage of high energy days and be gentle with myself on low energy days. I do find that proper nutrition - emphasis on fruits/veggies/lean proteins and minimizing starches helps. I'm interested in the recs for B complex and vitamin D. I'm gonna give those a shot myself. Good luck - hope you're able to enjoy the holiday weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I started going thru menopause about 8 years ago. I occassionally have a hot flash, but usually during the day. I do have trouble sleeping. I will wake up several times. It's not from having night sweats.
    From Michael Berg:

:idea: I think I may have figured it out.

I remember some years ago that I was feeling like this and it ended up being allergies. I thought when you had allergies, your eyes would tear up, nose would run, etc. I never got those systems. I'd just get a headache and be very fatigued.

I dragged myself to the drugstore a couple of hours ago and got some zyrtec. I'm starting to feel better.
    From Michael Berg:

• tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    :idea: I think I may have figured it out.

I remember some years ago that I was feeling like this and it ended up being allergies. I thought when you had allergies, your eyes would tear up, nose would run, etc. I never got those systems. I'd just get a headache and be very fatigued.

I dragged myself to the drugstore a couple of hours ago and got some zyrtec. I'm starting to feel better.

Wow! Those are the same symptoms I get from allergies but I just thought I was some sort of freak. my headaches are awful from my allergies. I would have never thought to suggest that to you cause I didn't think they affected anyone else that way! Glad you're starting to feel better!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I did, until I gave mother nature a boost with bioidentical hormones, medication for ADHD, better sleep habits, exercise, Vitamin D, and changes in diet. I no longer need anti-anxiety meds, I'm more focused and have more energy. All this and I'm still overweight, still forgetful (much less than before) but the energy is good.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    It could be allergies and they may be preventing you from properly breathing at night. You may not be getting the deep, regenerating sleep that you need. Are you drinking plenty of water? B vitamins are water soluble and you need a lot of water or they'll just go to waste. Yes, you do need some bread or some carbs since they're used for energy. You don't have to eat a lot of sugar or simple carbs just something full of fiber that is slower burning and lasts longer.
    Speckla wrote: »
    It could be allergies and they may be preventing you from properly breathing at night. You may not be getting the deep, regenerating sleep that you need. Are you drinking plenty of water? B vitamins are water soluble and you need a lot of water or they'll just go to waste. Yes, you do need some bread or some carbs since they're used for energy. You don't have to eat a lot of sugar or simple carbs just something full of fiber that is slower burning and lasts longer.

I drink a lot of water. I've also been eating whole grain breads with extra fiber, but it is making me feel too full and a little sick to my stomach. I never eat sugar.
    From Michael Berg:

• alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    Lotsa, how are you feeling? Is the Zyrtec still working?
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    I'm feeling better. Not dragging around as bad. Thanks for asking.
    From Michael Berg:

• nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Registered Users Posts: 121
    Sorry if this is totally off-topic, but my gluten- free radar sensed the word 'gluten' and honed in. :rambo:

This the best recipe in the world for a gluten-free bread. I substitute half of the brown rice flour for teff flour, and instead of sorghum I use quinoa. Together, they make this recipe unbelieveably high in nutrients, complex proteins, and fiber. And I can't even describe how wonderful the texture and flavor are. Please, please try it! Even people who don't have issues with gluten, you should try it!

http://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-favorite-gluten-free-sandwich-bread.html
  • nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Registered Users Posts: 121
    Ahhh. I can't stop my fingers from typing...

I just have to say that if you're looking for a place to get alternative flours on the cheap, go to your local asian market. I rarely go to whole foods to get gf flours. They rip people off!
    I started drinking 8 oz daily of "Very Veggie" organic from RW Knudsen and I am feeling so much better. I guess I needed more veggies.
    From Michael Berg:

• LL~2009LL~2009 Registered Users Posts: 146
    glad to hear it! I know when i eat more veggies i have good energy.
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Registered Users Posts: 400

I'm 45 and I was diagnosised with anemia and vitamin D deficiency. I was feeling tired all the time, my muscles ached, I was dizzy when I'd stand to fast, and just thought it was because I was getting older

I changed my diet to add protein at every meal, I cut out sugar, I eat tons of veggies and fruits and I stay away from grains.

I am also on iron supplements (Dr. prescribed) and vitamin D supplements (500 mg twice a day--I take a caramel chewable called Viactiv).

I now feel like a brand new person. I have lost over 10 pounds effortlessly (in about 2-3 months), and I have so much energy that I don't know what to do with myself.

I suggest you go get blood work done. That's how I was diagnosised and I was finally glad to know why I was so tired all the time.
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Registered Users Posts: 400
    Sorry if this is totally off-topic, but my gluten- free radar sensed the word 'gluten' and honed in. :rambo:

This the best recipe in the world for a gluten-free bread. I substitute half of the brown rice flour for teff flour, and instead of sorghum I use quinoa. Together, they make this recipe unbelieveably high in nutrients, complex proteins, and fiber. And I can't even describe how wonderful the texture and flavor are. Please, please try it! Even people who don't have issues with gluten, you should try it!

http://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-favorite-gluten-free-sandwich-bread.html

I am currently on a gluten free diet. It has changed my life. I use to be a carbohydrate queen--having wheat products several times a day. Since cutting them out, along with taking my iron and vitamin D supplements, I feel great, I have no digestive issues, and I've lost weight and have energy all day.

I used to require 8+ hrs of sleep and still felt tired. Now, I get less than 7 and I have no desire to nap, I've resumed exercising and lifting weights, which I had neglected because I was so fatigued, and life is good!!!
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
    Honeycomb wrote: »

I'm 45 and I was diagnosised with anemia and vitamin D deficiency. I was feeling tired all the time, my muscles ached, I was dizzy when I'd stand to fast, and just thought it was because I was getting older

I changed my diet to add protein at every meal, I cut out sugar, I eat tons of veggies and fruits and I stay away from grains.

I am also on iron supplements (Dr. prescribed) and vitamin D supplements (500 mg twice a day--I take a caramel chewable called Viactiv).

I now feel like a brand new person. I have lost over 10 pounds effortlessly (in about 2-3 months), and I have so much energy that I don't know what to do with myself.

I suggest you go get blood work done. That's how I was diagnosised and I was finally glad to know why I was so tired all the time.

I would love to get blood work done, but I don't have insurance.
    From Michael Berg:

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Go and get it done...work out something w/ your doc...:sad5:
    Go and get it done...work out something w/ your doc...:sad5:

I don't even have a doc at this point. In this economy, the docs aren"t really willing to work out deals. They are hurting, too.

The Power Ball is up to 193 million. I bought a ticket. :pr:
    From Michael Berg:

My doctors would both laugh and say "yea, right" if I told them I wanted to 'work something out'. Health care really isn't available to everyone, no matter how much people say we have the greatest health care system in the world. Hogwash.
    I started doubling up on my Vit D since the weather is turning cold an dreary and was making me super tired and down in the dumps.
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    i worked for two days for my BIL running cables under a house and i feel like ive been riding a horse for 24 hours. mother nature kicked my ass and just took my energy.
    You worked hard and have a reason to be tired. I wake up tired.
    From Michael Berg:

• azcurlyazcurly Registered Users Posts: 82
    I would try to figure out how to get blood work done too. I was dragging around too but just thought it was due to working 2 part time jobs along with 2 businesses. Turns out that my iron was extremely low and I feel like a new person since my Dr prescribed iron. I have some other issues that blood work showed too like hormone imbalance and overactive thyroid. I am also on Vit D, bio-identical progesterone, multi vit and fish oil. I am scheduled to see a naturopath for the thyroid issue but all my symptoms have gone away since taking the iron. Regular blood work is not extremely expensive but unfortunately the hormone testing is. I am feeling like myself again, it is amazing. Hope you can figure out a way to get to get the blood work done.
    3b/c ~ CG
    current favorites ~ TJ's Refresh, AOHR, SheaMoisture Shea Butter leave-in, AVG, FSG
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    You worked hard and have a reason to be tired. I wake up tired.

yeah but i could barely walk! my sister a nurse would give me these vitamins and pills that she said would help boost my energy level. i use to dismiss them but now im changing my mind. like you lotswaves i also dont have insurance at the moment so my only are options are eating healthier and exercising.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file