BKT Flat Iron Questions (updated with results)

burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Curl NeophytePosts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm planning on doing a DIY BKT (maybe have my cousin assist me!) but i have a question about the flat iron used. I have 2 flat irons and i believe one has a max setting of 420, and the other one i'm not sure what the max heat setting is. do you think i will be ok?

i have 'natural' hair- never dyed or relaxed. but i am able to get my 3b- 3c-ish coarse hair pin straight... it just takes me about 2 hours to do so!!!

so please, if you have experience with this, holla!
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV

Comments

• NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    I'm planning on doing a DIY BKT (maybe have my cousin assist me!) but i have a question about the flat iron used. I have 2 flat irons and i believe one has a max setting of 420, and the other one i'm not sure what the max heat setting is. do you think i will be ok?

i have 'natural' hair- never dyed or relaxed. but i am able to get my 3b- 3c-ish coarse hair pin straight... it just takes me about 2 hours to do so!!!

so please, if you have experience with this, holla!

The iron has to be 450 degrees - not higher and not lower. If your other iron doesn't go up to 450 degrees, then I would suggest buying one that does.
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• noladarlingnoladarling Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have 3C hair and live in hot and humid New Orleans. When I initially had my BKT done, the stylist flat ironed my hair at 375, and while it was straight when I left the salon it got REAL big within a few hours. The next day I went back and she re-flat ironed my entire head at 410 and it came out fine.

Some hair really can't take 450 regardless of what else is on it and that you might get long term damage using higher heat than your hair can take.

That said, I would start off with the 410 iron and if your hair frizzes within the first day or so, re-flat iron with one that goes up to 450.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks. i really dont want to spend any more money, especially on flat irons (i have about 3). like i said, i've always gotten my hair pin pin straight with out hitting the 420 range. so i think i'll be ok. i did see one online in Ulta.com. i think i'll stop by and visit it to see if its worth it... but i would rather save my money for something else :)

if any other DIY's wanna chime in, go right ahead?

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • mhtinkerbellmhtinkerbell Posts: 13Registered Users
    Im really interested in doin it myself also...please let me know how it turns out and what system u used.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK, so i took advantage of this long weekend and do the BKT. first off- i'm not crazy about it, dont think i will repurchase. some pictures were involved but i'll post those later.

pros- my hair feels very soft.
    cons- looks no different than it did before when i would flat iron. didnt decrease my straightening time by much.

i used the QOD Max that Afrodiva used. i bought a 5 ounce bottle of ebay for $35 i think? and it was supposed to last me for 4 or 5 apps. i used the whole thing and my hair is shoulder length. granted, i have thick hair and my cousin did it for me, and i think she applied too much.

Maybe if it was done at an actual salon, i wouldn't be so put off by it. the process seemed extremely long, not something i would ever want to repeat!!!! like i said, my cousin did it for me and it seemed like she was taking for ever and i had to tell her to speed up. if i did it myself, i probably would have done it faster, but i appreciated the help!!!

i did the BKT because i wanted to be able to style my hair faster- if i was straightening i wanted it to be done in under 2 hours (it takes me 2 hours!!!) and if i was leaving it curly, i wanted it to not look like a mess and force into a pony tail. dont know how it will do curly, but straigtening it took me an hour + a couple minutes.

but it does feel soo smooothh!! and i like that. i just dont know if its worth the hassle. when it washes out, i'll know if i want to try it again or not.

my hair is in the 3's and it is thick and coarse. but i have never had a problem getting it straight. i can get it pin straight with a flat iron and it gets curly when wet. i do feel a difference with the BKT, but again, still not sure if i will redo.

let me know if you have any questions :)

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • AphroDivaAphroDiva Posts: 183Registered Users
    Sorry to hear that it did not work for you as you expected it.
    I am wondering if she run the flat iron more than 5 times on each strand to melt the product and seal the hair.

I know it takes time to apply and complete the treatment, but if done correctly the results will be amazing.

xoxoxox

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file