Please help a poor guy buy a straightener!

littlefranklittlefrank Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello: I'm buying a straightener for my GF, and I need some guidance on what to get.

She currently has a CHI, which was recommended/sold to her by her stylist (for about $100). She likes it, and thinks it does a good job, but the power switch is melted and I have read about several other problem issues also.

I'm trying to get her a good one, and if money were no object - based on my research - I would probably choose a GHD. BUT money is an issue(!) I would like to keep below around $130-$140.

Some people recommend Sedu, Folica website pushes the Solia, Missoko's Hana's seem to be too expensive for me, and I've seen Hai receommended too .... which to buy?!?!?

Please help a confused guy (well, what other kind is there?!?!?)

Thanks!

Comments

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    how long ago did she purchase it? you might be able to call the company and explain the issue and they *might* replace it. doesnt hurt to check. also, my aunt found a really good GVP flat iron (which is comparable to the CHI) in a thrift store for a couple of dollars!

Also, if you're handy with a electronics, you can perform a surgery on if and maybe "replace" the outlet plug. my dad has fixed other electronics this way.

ps. ur too sweet :)
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • littlefranklittlefrank Posts: 3Registered Users
    how long ago did she purchase it? you might be able to call the company and explain the issue and they *might* replace it. doesnt hurt to check. also, my aunt found a really good GVP flat iron (which is comparable to the CHI) in a thrift store for a couple of dollars!

Also, if you're handy with a electronics, you can perform a surgery on if and maybe "replace" the outlet plug. my dad has fixed other electronics this way.

ps. ur too sweet :)

Thanks for the suggestions (and kindness :)) - it is about 18 months old, and she doesn't have a receipt, so I think that a replacement is unlikely - but I will try!

I might be able to fix the switch/power, but the plates have also come loose (I think she leaves it switched on for too long, and it overheats ....) I don't want to mess with that part(!)
    you can try the swap board too. put up a message saying that you are looking for chi or ghd or another good flat iron and see if anything bites.

good luck :)

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    Get her the SOLIA! I have one and LOVE it! It's great and is cheaper than the upper end flat irons. It's around $80.00, and you can get it at folica.com with free shipping.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
    you can try Ulta. i needed to buy a iron that heats up to 450 and i found a Wigo for 39.99 (originally 79.99) and Sally's had a ton of low price flat irons (20s, 30s, 50s...) that are ceramic and heat up to 450 degrees.

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • littlefranklittlefrank Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a coupon for Ulta, so I'm going to see if I can get a Sedu with it. If not, then I think I'll try getting the Solia online.
  • flipflopsandcheeseflipflopsandcheese Posts: 7Registered Users
    go to sally's or any other local beauty store and get help from an associate on another note if she really likes this straightener replace it if it is in your price range
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Ok if you get her anything you should get a T3 Tourmaline Single Pass Flat Iron.. ive been doing hair for abt 8yrs and i got this in Sep 09.. the BEST flat iron ive ever used! The plates are coated well and do not pull or snag. It gets hot quickly & gets the job done (lol i sound like an advertisement) but seriously! They changed the way it looks so i got the old model on sale from Folica.com for 100.. normally its about $170 but its worth it!
    this is the one i got: http://www.folica.com/T3_Tourmaline_M_d1884.html
    this is the new one: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P257526&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5780
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file