How to achieve waist length hair?

mariellesayshimariellesayshi Posts: 13Registered Users
Right now, my hair is bra-strap length. What actually works? How long would it take to grow it out?
Type: 3a-3b.
Curly Hair Length: 6 inches below shoulders,
Straightened Hair Length: 9
½ inches below shoulders.
Conditioners: Mane n' tail Moisturizing.
Pantene Moisture Renewal.
Yes to Cucumbers Daily Makeover.
Herbal Essences Totally Twisted.
Products: VO5 Leave in Conditioner Spray.
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave in Split End Treatment.
Loreal Vive Pro Glossy Curls Spray Gel.
Garnier Curl Sculpting Cream Gel.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Right now, my hair is bra-strap length. What actually works? How long would it take to grow it out?

I went from bra stap to waist length within a few months by co washing daily and keeping my hair up at all times. I also finger combed.
  • VIOLETVIOLET Posts: 13Registered Users
    What's co washing?
    Myself: 4b
    My 1st daughter: 3c/4a
    My 2nd daughter: 3b
    Follow our journey to healthy, natural hair!
    VIOLET wrote: »
    What's co washing?

Washing with conditioner only. The purpose is to avoid the drying effects caused by shampoo. Technically co washing is to be done using a conditioner without cones such as Vo5, Sauve Naturals, Giovanni, Nature's Gate, etc., but my hair loves cones. Most cone's can only be removed by shampoo. I shampoo every once in a while.

Here's a thread discussing the CG method and co washing:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14222
  • VIOLETVIOLET Posts: 13Registered Users
    I'm sorry I found the thread. Thanks for taking the time out to answer me though...
    Myself: 4b
    My 1st daughter: 3c/4a
    My 2nd daughter: 3b
    Follow our journey to healthy, natural hair!
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    Congrats Celina! :hello1::blob5::wav:

I have been struggling for the past few months with the bottom of brastrap.

I will be there someday! :love10:
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

Ok what is the difference between midback and waist length?
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

Thank you.

Prior to cutting off the rest of my relaxed ends in May, my hair was just about tailbone. I had never had hair that long in my entire life. It was absolutely amazing to step into the shower, wet my hair, and have hair fall into my butt crack, lol!. I never thought my hair could grow so long.

Using only conditioner, keeping the hair up, and finger combing works wonders. Gels, mousse, and other stylers causes dryness which leads to breakage; thus, loss of length. Growth aids don't work and are unnecessary.

To answer your question, midback length hair is hair that is past bra strap but not quite waist length.
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was at BSL in June and as of 2 weeks ago I am now WL! I had tailbone length before I decided to cut it due to being bored and I didn't do anything special. I was always trimming split ends though.

Now that I have found this forum. I started doing deep conditioning treatments and I have been trying to keep my hair moisturized. Oh, and I have been doing Cassia/Henna Treatments. I had a hair cut March of this year and I still don't have any split ends (knock on wood). Which is most likely due to me taking care of it better. But, I will say I don't really do protective styles. I wear my hair out 99% of the time. However, I do put on a satin scarf when I get home and I sleep on a satin pillow case (and sheets). Once it's time for bed I take off the scarf and put my hair in a pineapple and go to sleep.

So that's my routine. I think if you can keep it moisturized, do your dt's, stay away from heat and keep it protected at night you should be on your way faster. Just my thoughts. HTH
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10

Thank you.

Prior to cutting off the rest of my relaxed ends in May, my hair was just about tailbone. I had never had hair that long in my entire life. It was absolutely amazing to step into the shower, wet my hair, and have hair fall into my butt crack, lol!. I never thought my hair could grow so long.

Using only conditioner, keeping the hair up, and finger combing works wonders. Gels, mousse, and other stylers causes dryness which leads to breakage; thus, loss of length. Growth aids don't work and are unnecessary.

To answer your question, midback length hair is hair that is past bra strap but not quite waist length.

That is amazing. I wouldn't know how to act if my hair was tailbone length!

When you put you hair up do you just bun? Do you feel that you are thorough with the fingercombing? I am afraid if I fingercombed only that my hair would tangle or knot.

Thank you. I know that seemed like a silly question bc I have that chart in my signature, but sometimes when I would look at people's pics who say they are midback or waist from behind it is hard for me to tell the difference between the two because they looks so close to me on a persons body.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

Thank you.

That is amazing. I wouldn't know how to act if my hair was tailbone length!

When you put you hair up do you just bun? Do you feel that you are thorough with the fingercombing? I am afraid if I fingercombed only that my hair would tangle or knot.

Thank you. I know that seemed like a silly question bc I have that chart in my signature, but sometimes when I would look at people's pics who say they are midback or waist from behind it is hard for me to tell the difference between the two because they looks so close to me on a persons body.

I haven't worn my hair up since February, but am going to start again. When I wear my hair up I simply twist it up and secure it with an octopus clip. I got sick of wearing the big octopus clip so I recently invested in 2 Flexi 8's (one large and one xtra large) and a hair comb like Terri's from tightlycurly.com. I do plan on bunning with these.

I comb my hair every once in a while (like every few months) and rarely use my Denman brush to ensure that I have no tangles/shed hairs. Finger combing works for me but I admit that it's not for everyone.
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    Forgetting it, mostly. Up and out of sight.
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    My hair is alittle past tailbone length.I would say I make sure that I keep the moisture in my hair and I always braid it and wear it up.Also,I take supplements to boost hair growth.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • aeroheadaerohead Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok what is the difference between midback and waist length?

About five inches...judging by your hairlength chart!! lol!!:thumbright:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    http://public.fotki.com/aerohead/
  • ChicagoViksChicagoViks Posts: 39Registered Users
    I had tailbone length hair, but it drove me insane, lol. So now I don't let it get past waist length. Everyone's hair reacts differently, but for me the main key is keeping it moisturized. My hair is thankfully not prone to split ends so I don't have to trim a lot. I don't wear protective hairstyles, but I haven't heard a complaint about them yet. If you are using a gel, make sure it does not have alcohol in it, that's horribly drying. I pineapple my hair every night and sleep on a satin pillow case. Lastly, I do heat styling sparingly. I air dry my hair, and I haven't flat ironed since May (but I'm going to for my birthday, just because).
    My hair is:

- 3b/3c/probably some 4a up in there too.
    - natural since birth
    - almost hip length when flat ironed, BSL when curly.
    - a great lover of water. lol

I am a product junkie and I'm not going to rehab!
  • cgardner4ucgardner4u Posts: 14Registered Users
    I had tailbone length hair, but it drove me insane, lol. So now I don't let it get past waist length. Everyone's hair reacts differently, but for me the main key is keeping it moisturized. My hair is thankfully not prone to split ends so I don't have to trim a lot. I don't wear protective hairstyles, but I haven't heard a complaint about them yet. If you are using a gel, make sure it does not have alcohol in it, that's horribly drying. I pineapple my hair every night and sleep on a satin pillow case. Lastly, I do heat styling sparingly. I air dry my hair, and I haven't flat ironed since May (but I'm going to for my birthday, just because).
    Hello ChicagoViks, I'm new to this board. What do you mean, "...pineapple my hair"?
  • ChicagoViksChicagoViks Posts: 39Registered Users
    cgardner4u wrote: »
    Hello ChicagoViks, I'm new to this board. What do you mean, "...pineapple my hair"?

welcome! I'm pretty new myself.

Pineappling the hair is basically gathering the hair into a ponytail at the top of your head and securing it with a scrunchie (as loosely as you can without it falling down).
    My hair is:

- 3b/3c/probably some 4a up in there too.
    - natural since birth
    - almost hip length when flat ironed, BSL when curly.
    - a great lover of water. lol

I am a product junkie and I'm not going to rehab!
  • triplethreatcurlzdivatriplethreatcurlzdiva Posts: 8Registered Users
    chicagovik do you have a fotki or could you post pics? TIA
  • JaytheeMacielJaytheeMaciel Posts: 1Registered Users
    Umm, I have shoulder length hair and I cutted it like on Novemember or October and it won't grow any help?
  • tyratyra Posts: 1Registered Users
    co washing is when you get a spray bottle and dampen your hair.Then get a conditioner and rub it into your hair
    rinse hair and ur done.:laughing7:
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    I'll second all of the recommendations so far. They are all good practices: CO washing, protective styling, avoid heat, oil regularly, sleep in a satin bonnet and take your vitamins.

If you do all these things, you will minimize any damage or breakage. If there is no damage, there is no need to cut - just let it grow. I would advise learning how to self-trim with a CreaClip or other method so you are in control of how much comes off each time.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • Athenacurly:)Athenacurly:) Posts: 94Registered Users
    Why does keeping your hair up make it grow faster I read that leeaving your hair down makes it more lose and is not pulling on your hair
  • NorahBuggNorahBugg Posts: 134Registered Users
    Why does keeping your hair up make it grow faster I read that leeaving your hair down makes it more lose and is not pulling on your hair

I think the idea is to protect it from the elements. It
    s not that it makes it grow faster; it just keeps your hair healthier so you get more growth (fewer trims). As long as you're using hairbands or barrettes that don't put stress on the hair (as in not too tight), you should be alright with wearing your hair up a lot. I do wear my hair up almost every day for work, and gotten no damage from this. When my hair is down, I think there's more exposure to the environment plus I have to use a blowdryer and stylers
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    I agree with all the things and would like to add a few. I am growing my hair out as well and have a video all about it on my youtube channel. I hope you check it out :) my youtube name is Puertoricanbeauty22. My hair used to be about tail-bone length and I cut it right below my shoulders. It has grown a significant amount since I started doing all of the following! It is about mid back length pulled straight.

Ok the tips that I go by are taking multi-vitamins daily, massaging your scalp to stimulate hair growth, drinking plenty of water, eating healthy (plenty of protein, fruits, veggies, and good fats), eating avocados (great for keeping hair healthy and shiny), eating salmon and eggs (full of protein), trimming split ends as needed, applying natural hair oils regularly (I use olive oil), deep conditioning at least twice a week (paying extra attention to the ends), getting enough sleep, trying to eliminate stress, putting hair up in protective styles (to protect from wind, sun, and rain), not using heat products, staying away from products that can dry your hair and damage it like alcohol, not using brushes since they cause breakage, not brushing hair while wet (use a wide-tooth comb or fingers), and exercise as much as possible (I am bad at this lol).

I hope this helped and don't forget to say hi on my videos if you are interested :)
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users Curl Neophyte

My hair is currently past shoulder length but not quite APL (I'm about 2 1/2 to 3 inches from APL) and what I have found that works with my hair is a mix of low manipulation styling as well as protective styling.

When I protective style, I have to be very careful not to pull it back or up too tightly (i.e. a tight bun) or I will get breakage from the roots (not necessarily the ends) that would thin out my hair over time.

At the same time, when low manipulation styling I can't wear it for too long in a style where my ends are rubbing against moisture-robbing shirt collars which causes breakage due to dryness and abrasian on the ends which stunts the growth.

Currently, I have my hair pulled up and back in a loose french roll type style held in place by a stick barrett and hair pins. Putting my hair up with even covered elastic bands at my current length is a recipe for breakage. I also keep my hair moisturized and dryness at bay with weekly DC and two time a week application of a moisturizing LI as well as regularly sealing.

I shampoo once a week with a lo-poo and have recently begun experimenting with finger combing exclusively reserving the wide tooth comb for every few months use. I'm hoping that I'm able to gain those 2 1/2 to 3 inches to make me full APL over the next 6 months. My ultimate goal is WL and I'd rather get there sooner rather than later as I'm not getting any younger... :wink:
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • KiaraaKiaraa Posts: 30Registered Users
    These are all very good tips! Informative thread, thanks y'all :D My shortest hair in the back hasn't reached to the bottom of my neck and I'm hoping to change that in the next 6-9 months. Mini goal: reach shoulder length. For right now, I'm gonna try cowashing, removing cones and sulfates, and using EVOO in my hair.
    3c/3b - Hair Goal: Grow curls to midback:love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file