wow, one day of regular shampoo and poof! Blah city!

wavykwavyk Posts: 19Registered Users
First of all, hello! and thank you!! for all the wonderful (yet slightly overwhelming) info and help to be found here. You all seem really, really great!

This is my first post-- I've lurked for awhile. I decided to go curly girlish about a month ago. Ditched the sulfate poo and 'cones. Everything was going along swimmingly. My hair is improving and I'm still happy with the decision to give this a go.... However, yesterday, I found out that the Naked Naturals low-poo and conditioner I'd been using were probably not the best things to be using. Iffy ingredients...and cones in the conditioner---how did I not see that before?

Sooo, today, I decided to use a bit of some Hello Hydration shampoo I had around to get rid of any build up from the conditioner and followed up with my Suave Green Apple that I normally co-wash with. Then I used my normal Suave gel and Set Me Up spray gel as usual.

Well, my hair is now practically straight!! It looks like I blow dried without my diffuser or something! wow! I then looked at the Hello Hydration bottle and saw that it contains 'cones too. In the shampoo! Argh! I'm just so surprised it would look so limp and lifeless after one use! The curl is almost totally gone!

It doesn't feel dry at all. Smooth and nice, actually. But it looks bad. Flat on top. Limp. Puffy/flyaway on the sides and ends.

They didn't have any of the Giovanni line I wanted to purchase when I went to Target today. Ended up going away empty handed. What now?

I guess I'll use the Naked Naturals again until I can get to Sally's. Why would the Hello Hydration shampoo result in such flat, lifeless waves? Just the sulfates? The cones? I mean, the Naked Naturals conditioner I've used for a month (!) turned out to have cones, so I'm surprised the reaction to HH was so bad!

Phew, sorry about that rant, but maybe someone has some bit of advice to throw my way?

Thank you!!

**Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot one very crucial step in my routine yesterday! I used Burt's Bees Avocado Pre-shampoo treatment on my hair before I used the sulfate shampoo. How could I forget that?? Too much going on right now, I guess. Anyway-- that explains a lot! No wonder. My hair feels awesome, really. It just looks blah. It's like the curl was zapped away and it had been getting wavier and curlier all the time.

Comments

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Cones pull my curl out almost always (there are exceptions but this is the rule). You can get non sulfate shampoo's lots of places but they can be hard to find. If you have any Burt's Bees places (sometimes at Target or Rite Aid or CVS, etc) try those. Trader Joe's has several sulfate free poo's and you can always just use your conditioner to co-wash.

If you want to clarify go get Suave Clarifying. That'll do it..stuff is STRONG! Then just use one of the suave conditioners without cones to condish and you are good.

Good luck!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • wavykwavyk Posts: 19Registered Users
    Thanks, Alexjoujou.
    I don't have any Trader Joe's around here, but I do have a Sally's in town... I'm sort of nervous about Burt's Bees, heheh. Is there anything homemade that would work to clarify, like ACV, rather than having to buy a bottle of Suave clarifying shampoo?
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    Yes, you can mix some baking soda with your conditioner and use that as a scrub. Then do an ACV rince. That worked great for me.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    goobernut wrote: »
    Yes, you can mix some baking soda with your conditioner and use that as a scrub. Then do an ACV rince. That worked great for me.

Thanks! I'm getting some proper CG approved stuff from Sally's today. Looking forward to starting over!
    I picked up some Suave coconut conditioner to try that for co-washing. Still have a bit of the green apple to use up first.
    Ok! This morning, I used an Ion Crystal Clarifying Treatment from Sally's, then used some Coloresse Moisture lo-poo from Sally's, and then followed up with an Ion Effective Care Treatment (Intensive Therapy Protein Fortifier and Moisturizer.)

Then I used some of my Suave gel and "plopped" (my hair is only chin length) for about 10 minutes. Used a bit of Set Me Up spray gel and air dried for about 15 mins, diffused for a few more (not completely dry) and now all is well again :)

The curl returned! Woo!
    Me again. Well, my happiness of Wednesday is somewhat gone. On Friday, I co-washed with Suave green apple (my usual,) GVP balm rinse out, a little Suave gel scrunched in after the shower + HE SMU spray gel, few minutes of plop and a few minutes of diffuse. Didn't look as good as Wednesday's procedure.

Today (Sunday) I did the exact same thing as Fri and now it's more a little more blah. Feels soft and clean and pre-CG would've thought it was awesome. However, now I know it can be better. The waves/curls are even more limp than they were on Fri.

Don't know what I should do next. Sigh.
  • missmagoomissmagoo Posts: 31Registered Users
    My hair is 2cish and I can't CO wash two washes in a row or my hair is funky- maybe that's what is happening with you?

I usually wash every other day, and I alternate between doing a CO wash and a low-poo. (so Monday I'll co wash, Wednesday I'll low-poo, Friday I'll co wash again).

Also, are you using a leave-in or anything before your gel? It's made a big difference for me to use some leave-in before the gel. Gel alone was making my hair stringy and limp.

eta: the HESMU made my hair seriously stringy, it was too heavy for me
    Fine 2c/3a
    Mod CG
    leave-in: LOOC or whatever conditioner I use, then FOTE
    Stylers: KMFUM, sometimes LOOB
    missmagoo wrote: »
    My hair is 2cish and I can't CO wash two washes in a row or my hair is funky- maybe that's what is happening with you?

I usually wash every other day, and I alternate between doing a CO wash and a low-poo. (so Monday I'll co wash, Wednesday I'll low-poo, Friday I'll co wash again).

Also, are you using a leave-in or anything before your gel? It's made a big difference for me to use some leave-in before the gel. Gel alone was making my hair stringy and limp.

eta: the HESMU made my hair seriously stringy, it was too heavy for me

Well, I haven't been doing much for leave-in, maybe just an extra dab of my rinse out conditioner, but usually nothing. I'm afraid of using too much!

Yes, I was just thinking that maybe all this conditioner is just too much and I should do more than one lo-poo per week. That's pretty much been my thing since the last week of July when I started with all this. My hair looked really good after the procedure I did last Wednesday (one of the above posts.)

I'm going to lo-poo tonight. I spent the day at the beach and now my hair is curly--- and sticky and salty!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file