There go my curls...

I had *finally* figured out a good routine for hot, humid summer weather when the temperatures and dew point dropped this week. I actually LOVE the weather we are having right now, but my hair has gone completely haywire. It's flat, frizzy, and the curls won't stay in my hair. It's like they just "fall out" into fluffy frizz.

I'd love suggestions for getting it to look good in this fall weather with dews in the 30's and 40's! Last year when it got like this, I started straightening it because I couldn't figure out how to make it look good curly. I don't want to give in to the flat iron again, so I need some help. :)

My hair is mostly 3a and the individual hairs are fine, but I have a lot of it. It's easily weighed down and overconditioned, so I low-poo a few times a week. The porosity is normal. I had been using Giovanni L.A. Naturals gel over leave-in conditioner (the Giovanni leave-in) with a lot of success when it was more humid, but this combo is no longer working.

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm loving this lower humidity! The only change I've made in my routine in the past couple of days is that after co-washing, rather than using CK + BRHG, I'm just using BRHG. Then I SOTC w/garnier curl & shine cream(old formula). Maybe you don't need the leave-in?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    slightly off topic...

I'm jealous that you guys are already having lower dews.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    The lower dew points are a bit of a fluke and not supposed to last much longer - at least not in southeast PA....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    I'm not sure how long it's supposed to last here. It's much cooler and less humid than the usual late August/early September weather here. I hope it does last, though, because the weather is gorgeous!

I will try not using a leave-in conditioner and see if that helps. I also realized that perhaps scrunching my hair and plopping are part of why it's getting frizzy and weird now. These techniques work well when my hair is really curly in higher humidity, but when it's less humid, it's like I'm trying to force it into a tighter curl pattern that it doesn't want to fit. I have no idea if that makes sense, but not scrunching much today seems to have helped.
  • momof3curlsmomof3curls Registered Users Posts: 227
    goobernut wrote: »
    slightly off topic...

I'm jealous that you guys are already having lower dews.

Hee Hee...... I literally was just looking at the weather for the week and said to DH "Wow! It's only going to be a high of 88 on Thursday!" It's like a cold front! LOL

As for advice, I'd ditch the leave-in, or at least try a different one. I cannot use Giovanni, Direct. It's too heavy and weighs my curls down.
    Momof3curls
    2c/3a SL med/fine
    Started CG in 6/08 Fell off the wagon 10/08, Back on since 7/09
    Co-Wash- VO5 Vanilla Mint
    Low Poo once/week- KCCC
    R/O and L/I Tigi Moisture Maniac
    Gels-BRHG and LA Looks Curl (also like Aquage)
    Experimenting with GVP K-Pac, and loving it:cheers:
    Location-Tampa/Orlando corridor
    Learning to love my curls one day at time

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file