Sealing Twists

alexsmomalexsmom Posts: 93Registered Users
What does this mean? I plan to wear twists for a while and want to make sure I am taking care of them properly.

My routine so far is air dry freshly conditioned hair, and twist with Ghemet Burdock Root or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Oyin Whipped pudding[/buylink].

Thanks

Comments

• certifiedivacertifiediva Posts: 173Registered Users
    I think sealing is when you use an oil to "seal" in your hair's moisture specifically the ends of the last 2/3 of your twist, you would seal your ends when you finish twisting your hair. I use either Jane carter nourish and shine, honey hydrating balm, or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Burnt-Sugar-Pomade-p-755.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-burnt-sugar-pomade]burnt sugar pomade[/buylink] to seal my twists or my daughter's twists.
    Been a long time... I shouldn't have left you...

Re-Visiting Old Products & Checking out some new products... Coming up with a whole new hair routine... I've neglected my sexy kinks for far too long!

I'm baaaaccckk!

Being a Diva is a full time job...
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    alexsmom wrote: »
    What does this mean? I plan to wear twists for a while and want to make sure I am taking care of them properly.

My routine so far is air dry freshly conditioned hair, and twist with Ghemet Burdock Root or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Oyin Whipped pudding[/buylink].

Thanks

I think it means moisurizing the ends. Not exactly sure since some people use Shea Butter type products and others use Oils. The few time I've done twist when I usedCastor Oil it worked better than when I tried unrefined pure shea butter (my hair felt producty) and coconut oil (left hair greasy like). The Castor Oil is thick and sticky when you put it on. But, afterwards my hair is very very soft and moisturized. I know the Qhemet's products are very popular and I know I've seen people who used those products to seal their ends. However, I don't know the names of those particular products. Hopefully, someone will respond that does use those products. HTH
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    alexsmom wrote: »

Thanks

I think it means moisurizing the ends. Not exactly sure since some people use Shea Butter type products and others use Oils. The few time I've done twist when I usedCastor Oil it worked better than when I tried unrefined pure shea butter (my hair felt producty) and coconut oil (left hair greasy like). The Castor Oil is thick and sticky when you put it on. But, afterwards my hair is very very soft and moisturized. I know the Qhemet's products are very popular and I know I've seen people who used those products to seal their ends. However, I don't know the names of those particular products. Hopefully, someone will respond that does use those products. HTH

I have to cosign on this! I sealed my two strand twist this weekend with castor oil and the outcome was amazing!
  • alexsmomalexsmom Posts: 93Registered Users
    Thanks to all. This is very helpful.
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    Sealing in general is an attempt to seal in hair's moisture. I do it while hair is still wet (or at least damp) and over a leave in conditioner. I can't tell you what the science of it is. I only know my hair has a better sheen to it when I seal and it stays elastic and moisturized and feels soft to the touch. All good things.
    If I don't seal my hair feels coarse, it is very dull in appearance and breaks easier.

Sealing the ends specifically also creates a barrier between your hair and anything the ends of your hair come into contact with (like shirts). Helps hair grow becuase the hair isn't rubbing against rough fabrics. Also the ends are the oldest part of your hair and prone to the most damage, some people say sealing prevents split ends (I imagine this is becuase the oil or butter is forcibly keeping the hair together).

Overall discovering sealing has done wonders to my hair.
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Another castor oil fan chiming in.

I seal in the moistur over my leave-in conditioner immediately after washing/condition and seal my ends when braiding/twisting. I use castor oil again to seal when retwisting/braiding during the week over a spritz.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • alexsmomalexsmom Posts: 93Registered Users
    I think I get it now. I have some castor oil and will use that on my next set of twists.
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    if you seal your hair with an oil while it's still wet, how does the hair finish drying? if the oil creates a barrier that keeps moisture in, why doesn't the hair stay wet? i know this sounds like a really basic question, but it's been bugging me for a while.
    Natural since '03
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    curlsugar wrote: »
    if you seal your hair with an oil while it's still wet, how does the hair finish drying? if the oil creates a barrier that keeps moisture in, why doesn't the hair stay wet? i know this sounds like a really basic question, but it's been bugging me for a while.

hi curlsugar,

the oil isn't so heavy and so much applied that it prevents the hair from drying.

sealing only requires a a drop of oil per twist or a few drops for loose hair.

have you tried sealing?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    thanks, windflower. i do seal and it definitely seems to help with retaining moisture. i haven't found my perfect oil/butter yet. i loved coconut oil but i read here on nc that it's one of the few oils that penetrates the shaft. so i guess it's not the best sealant.
    Natural since '03
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    I usually wet my twists in the morning when i showert and seal with some shealoe butter and keep it moving. I have been enjoying my soft twists. I used to seal with Jojoba oil. That stuff had my twists baby soft! LOL I also use Vatika oil to seal sometimes.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Posts: 234Registered Users
    curlsugar wrote: »
    I seal the ends of my twists after I finish my entire head. I basically grab a section of twists with a small amount of coconut oil on my hands and squeeze it in. My hair dries very quickly.
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file