My head is a flyaway fiasco (Wavy 2a, help!)

AerdwulfAerdwulf Posts: 3Registered Users
My type 2a hair is driving me nuts.

I just assumed my frizzy silhouette (which wasn't always that way) was due to just that: frizz. But, once I really began taking a closer look at my hair I realized that couldn't be all. I had lots of split ends, but what worried me more was that the rate at which my hair was breaking and shedding. I might just run a hand through my hair (not roughly) to smooth it, and I'd be left with 2 or 3 hairs in my hand. And not always just partial shafts, but sometimes the whole hair. My mom has attributed it to stress, and the fact I twirl my hair out of habit.

For over year I've tried a few different brands of shampoos and conditioners, thinking I was getting results, then finding I was not. Frustrated, I went online to do research.

As of about 8 months ago I completely stopped using my straightening iron, and for the last 3 months have opted to let my hair air dry instead of using a hairdryer, and only wash my hair every other day. I've also had my hair cut, shortening it from mid back up to shoulder-length. Thereafter I've trimmed it every 6 or so weeks and my split ends are gone. However, I still haven't seen any real difference in the breakage.

About 3 weeks ago I started using baby shampoo instead of the Sunsilk I had been using. (Before Sunsilk I've used Pantene, Dove and Suave) I know that the average person can lose anywhere from 40 to 100 hairs a day, but it irks me to be losing about 60 or more hairs every time I wash my hair, and to have it break with so little effort. (Resulting in my flyaways, since my hair has a slight wave to it) My hair has always been shiny, and since using the baby shampoo it feels a little softer, but the breakage continues. Maybe it needs 2 months or more, I don't know...

Any ideas on anything else I could do? I've thought about starting a vitamin regimen in case I have some sort of deficiency, but I don't know what to do anymore. I only occasionally wear my hair in a ponytail. I've never had a perm, never braided my hair, never used curlers, and have never had it relaxed. I shampoo 3-4 times a week and condition every day. I've also used a V05 Hot Oil Deep Conditioning treatment once a week for the past two months.

If I left anything out, ask!

Comments

• cantom03cantom03 Posts: 11Registered Users
    I can't offer any help, but I can commiserate. I am a 2b and I loose A LOT of hair when I wash, touch or comb threw, with fingers or a wide tooth comb. My daughter has same type hair and same problem. My Husband jokes it is like living with sheep dogs LOL! I would estimate it is closer to 100 hairs a day. I started the curly girl method a few weeks ago with a cut from a Deva trained stylist. I was always told before I had to straighten my hair to have it look nice. I am still getting used to the method, I purchased [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva no poo[/buylink] and one condition and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc angell[/buylink] based on the stylists remmondation, and am washing 2-3 times a week with the wavy method from the book (CG) minnus the 2nd conditioning. Stylist wants me to work to once. It has made my hair very soft, even with the gell. Up till this point, I have blow dried straight or kept my hair short. I really like my waves most of the time, but they are unpredictible, some days almost staight other days close to curly and BIG. I almost always have frizz, as my ends are dry and prone to damage.

I wish you best of luck!
  • cantom03cantom03 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Also, I think alot of lost hair used to get stuck in my hair brushes, so it wasn't as noticable. I am tring to not brush now and now the hair comes out in my hands. Yikes!
  • nancytmccnancytmcc Posts: 103Registered Users
    Is your hair texture fine, or do you color-treat at all? If yes on either question, you may need a protein treatment. One way I can tell I need a protein treatment is I lose a lot more hair in the shower drain. After protein--my hair looks absolutely fabulous and I only lose a few hairs at a washing (no lie!!).
    Hair type: 2b, wavy/curly, color treated, fine texture but high density
    Modified CG since 6/14/09
    Products currently rotating: Organic soap bars, ACV rinse, KBB milk, Fuzzy duck gel, BB Gelee, KCCC, Komaza curl pudding, Goddess Glaze, Mop Top shampoo and condish, Gelatine Goo, Burt's Bees More Moisture condish.
    I think my hair likes protein!!
  • AerdwulfAerdwulf Posts: 3Registered Users
    Yeah, my hair is fine textured. And all I've ever had done with my hair was highlights (by my mom) and the last time we did that was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

And heck, I'd love to lose just a few hairs, compared with the usual! I might have to give the protein treatment a try.

I've noticed my mom's hair is kind of the same way as mine, but her hair is a lot thicker and she doesn't have nearly as many flyaways as I do.

Would it help if I shampooed less often and maybe cowashed the rest of the time instead?
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Going CG has fixed so many of those same problems. Have you thought about trying it?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• AerdwulfAerdwulf Posts: 3Registered Users
    I don't have the time or the money to keep up with it all. I came here to ask for advice, not to be bombarded with products. If there's some other place I can go, then do tell me.
  • missmagoomissmagoo Posts: 31Registered Users
    I agree CG can be overwhelming.

I would suggest using a more moisturizing shampoo though. Baby shampoo is not necessarily gentle for your hair, it's meant to be gentle if it gets in your eyes. There are lots out there that are not expensive or difficult to find. That would probably help to cut down on your frizz.

I lose a lot of hair as well, I really think part of it is that when you have wavy or curly hair you don't get rid of shed hairs by brushing the way someone with straight hair does. Unless you are noticing bald spots on your scalp, shed hairs are totally normal.
    Fine 2c/3a
    Mod CG
    leave-in: LOOC or whatever conditioner I use, then FOTE
    Stylers: KMFUM, sometimes LOOB
  • nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Posts: 121Registered Users
    I second the suggestions of going cg and doing protein treatments. It sounds like your hair is very fine, and the protein will help to add a little 'backbone' to those waves.

I'm sorry that you feel that going cg is too much work. It is the only thing that has truly helped with my frizz. When I first started I went a little crazy with products, but after a while I realized that it actually wasn't as difficult as I was making it out to be. :tongue5:
  • SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    Aerdwulf wrote: »
    I don't have the time or the money to keep up with it all. I came here to ask for advice, not to be bombarded with products. If there's some other place I can go, then do tell me.

You ask for advice. My best advice for someone with fine-textured hair prone to breakage is the following:

1. Avoid any shampoo that contains sulfates. Sulfates are detergents that dry out and damage your hair. These are the typical sulfates to avoid:
    - Alkylbenzene sulfonate
    - Ammonium laureth or lauryl sulfate
    - Ammonium or sodium xylenesulfonate
    - Dioctyl sodium or disodium laureth sulfosuccinate
    - Ethyl PEG-15 cocamine sulfate
    - Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate
    - Sodium cocoyl sarcosinate
    - Sodium laureth, lauryl or myreth sulfate
    - Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate
    - TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfonate

2. Use a moisturizer that does not contain silicones (ingredients that end in -cone, -conol, -col, or -xane are silicones)

3. Try a weekly protein deep treatment. You can buy a protein treatment or make your own from egg, mayonnaise, and olive oil. Once your hair gets healthier, you may be able to cut back to every other week or once a month.

4. Immediately follow the protein treatment with a moisturizing deep treatment. I personally don't find hot oil treatments as effective as the rich, creamy deep treatments. (Everyone is different, though.)

5. Use a styling gel or mousse to help tame down the frizzies. Make sure it does not contain silicones.

6. Continue to avoid using straightening irons and continue to air dry your hair.
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file