How do I know if CG is "right" for me?

I'm a guy, and I've had long hair for a while now, I trim it, etc. It's not icky or nasty, it's well kept. (not just my opinion)
I learned about sulfates and cones recently, and I was going to go CG.
However, I've seen a lot of transitions where people went from 2a/b to 3a, and I don't think I want that much curl in my hair, I like the wave a lot more.

So how can I figure out what to do with my hair? (excluding cutting it.)
I am 2a/b, not quite sure. Using sulfates and cones right now, because I haven't switched to CG yet.

The back of my hair is almost 3 (super, super curly near the bottom if I don't run my fingers through it and stretch out the curls), but the front is mostly curly/wavy past the midpoint.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    Alot of the increase in curl type has to do with certain products like curl enhancers and techniques like plopping, scrunching, etc. and not just ditching the sulphates and cones. I say try CG. What products are you using now?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• HairMetalHairMetal Registered Users Posts: 20
    Right now, I'm using horrible sulfates and cones. My hair doesn't look so bad, it's just frizzy at the end of the day.

I'm probably going to get a V05 CG shampoo and conditioner, but could you recommend me the rest of the products I should get?
    I don't know which products to get...
    Thanks.
  • porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    I'm glad you want to try CG! I'm a fairly recent CG convert, and I have already noticed a huge difference in my curls.

Firstly, while the V05 conditioners are probably a good bet, the shampoo is not. I would maybe recommend something from Burt's Bees or something else inexpensive and easy to find (I personally use the sulfate-free shampoo from Christophe Beverly Hills--I can find it at the local pharmacy).

Some people just experience more defined waves/curls, not more curls, with CG. It really can't cause any permanent damage to try it for a while. Keep in mind that your hair may look a little worse for a few weeks until it adjusts, but then after a few weeks of CG, it will probably look better than ever.

I'm still finding the perfect styling products for me. I'll let you know how it works out! Good luck.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• citychulocitychulo Registered Users Posts: 91
    Ok sorry you all but I am a boy and i would like to know if i did CG right ok this is what did.

I washed my hair with Suave waterfall mist shampoo for the last time to get all the cone build up out of my hair and all the other bad things in my hair but I was wondering is this the right shampoo for that?

Then i been Co-Washing with Suave waterfall mist conditioner for the past month and my hair seems to be a lot more curlier now but still a lil frizzy.

I was wondering if I havent did this right can you please break it down a lil more for me to understand sorry but I am just trying to get my hair as healthy as possible.

i am also sorry if this doesnt make sense to you i tryed to explain as good as i can =/

thank you.
  • belasunabelasuna Registered Users Posts: 599
    HairMetal wrote: »
    I'm a guy, and I've had long hair for a while now, I trim it, etc. It's not icky or nasty, it's well kept. (not just my opinion)
    I learned about sulfates and cones recently, and I was going to go CG.
    However, I've seen a lot of transitions where people went from 2a/b to 3a, and I don't think I want that much curl in my hair, I like the wave a lot more.

So how can I figure out what to do with my hair? (excluding cutting it.)
    I am 2a/b, not quite sure. Using sulfates and cones right now, because I haven't switched to CG yet.

The back of my hair is almost 3 (super, super curly near the bottom if I don't run my fingers through it and stretch out the curls), but the front is mostly curly/wavy past the midpoint.

Thanks.

As Jess indicated, the increase in curl is due to the product you use. Don't use any products with Magnesium Sulfate or Magnesium or labeled curl "enhancing". If you want to weigh down the curls so as to keep a more wavy look, use a heavier product that also contain oils or butters. These will not make your hair oily or greasy per say since the oils absorb into the hair, but you still have to play with how much you use so you don't get that "greasy" hair look and feel. You can also use a regular conditioner as a leave-in conditioner. Since most regular conditioners are heavier than those labeled "leave-in", I find they tend to loosen the curls and make them look more like waves.

I also recommend you go CG. CG will help lessen the frizz. You can always find products to enhance waves over curls.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Thanks again, belasuna.
    I was just wondering if you could recommend me some CG wave-inducing products? And what CG regular conditioner (also leave-in) should I get?

Also, which shampoo should I get for my CG? Could you recommend exact products?

Thanks.
  • belasunabelasuna Registered Users Posts: 599
    When I used Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Curling Creme, it elongated my curls into waves because of the richness and weight of the product. I used it over a leave-in conditioner called [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink]. Another conditioner you can try as leave-in is Bed Head TIGI Moisture Maniac.

I don't promise these will work for you since all hair reacts differently to products. I just know I did not like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]Curl Junkie CCCC[/buylink] because it made my curls less curly and more wavy which is not what I wanted. But since this is what you want, you can go and try it. At the least it is a good product.

For shampoos. If you want a good quality natural shampoo try any Aubrey Organics shampoo--pick your scent. It is a low poo you can use and doesn't contain the harsh chemicals in regular sulfate shampoos. It is in the mid-price range around $8-10.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file