Does Teri's method work for 4As?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I was checking out tightlycurly.com for the 2nd or 3rd time and am thinking about following Teri's method of washing/detangling/twirling.

BUT IT SEEMS SO TIME CONSUMING! Especially for my thick 4A hair. And I wonder if a Denman would just frizz me anyway.

Do any 4As use her method? Is good?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I have only half heartedly tried this a loong time ago. I will get back to it soon, but I am trying so hard to go the low manipulation route.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

And you are right. It seems so time consuming.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I've tried using coniditioner only (not necessarily doing everything the way Terri does) and I was pleased with the results. Haven't done it in awhile though.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • krazykkrazyk Posts: 243Registered Users
    I use Teri's method, but the clumping things just doesn't seem to happen for me. I don't now if my denman creates frizz at the parts that want to clump, but I just can't seem to get that right. But I clean my scalp and apply conditioner very much like she does in the Primer. I've been doing it for about six months and I'm still going. I just twist my hair instead of seeking out curls to clump.
    :icescream:Confusion in the front/4a in the back and around the sides
    Transitioning Natural since March 2005
    Complete natural (Last of permed hair trimmed out) May 2008 (1 1/2 inches left)

Regimen:
    Co-Wash: (Anything on hand atm)
    Leave ins: Aussie Moist
    Shampoo: Aussie Moist (only if I end up using gel or something out of the ordinary)
    Keeping it krazy simple:toothy7:

My hair history:http://photobucket.com/kris_journeyofhair
    Pw: krazyk
  • ladycatladycat Posts: 56Registered Users
    I tried it 2-3 times, the first time I ended up with coils ("oh look my hair is in a coil" and I just went with it). Although my hair was quite shiny and soft which was nice. The next 2 tries I got tired and end up just running my fingers through my individual curls haphazardly because I got to tired. :D
    BC: 1/1/09
    Start length: >appr. 5-1 inches

event.png

event.png
  • tiffanyptiffanyp Posts: 46Registered Users
    OMG. I tried declumping and coil-enhancing last week and when I got to the hour point, I was like "nuh uh." It would have taken me forever to finish if I did it correctly. Add that to the fact that my hair is still short enough that if I go to sleep on it, it's going to get flat and tangled anyway.

From there I picked out a few strategic strands, around my hairline, detangled them up, and GAVE up.
    Wiry, coily, brassy 4a hair with low porosity and a dislike of 'cones.

Last Relaxer - 8/08; Big Chop - 11/08

See pictures of my hair in my Flickr stream or visit my new Fotki!
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    I do a slightly modified version of it, in that I section the hair and add gel prior to doing the smoothing technique. I don't have the patience for the twirling, but I do use the denman to detangle with loads of conditioner, then I grab a section, add some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] to it, and pull the curls out. When I actually take the time to do this, I can get 2-3 days out of it, and I have some lovely frizz-free curls in the interim.
  • KranberyKranbery Posts: 177Registered Users
    I could never find the right conditioner to use for it, and my hair looked much shorter. My clumps form fine by themselves.
    Grow hair grow. People think you look funny at this length. :sad8:

Products:
    Jason Tea Tree Shampoo
    Jason Tea Tree conditioner
    Cantu Shea Butter, Avocado/Rosemary oil
    Egg Protein Treatments
    Burt's Bees Shea and Grapefruit Conditioner
    Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins
    Oyin Greg Juice
  • newmenewme Posts: 141Registered Users
    I've been using her method for the last two months. Twice I twirled my hair and the other 5-6 times I put it in two strand twists. I have to say that I love this method because I really value touchably soft hair. I have yet to find a product - any product - that doesn't leave my hair either greasy, waxy, hard or dry. For this reason, conditioner only really works for me. For some reason people feel compelled to touch my hair and I confess that when I had all this product in my hair I was embarrassed. Not now.

In terms of the time it takes, it's about an hour for me but it lasts the whole week. That's about the same amount of time it took me to do my hair when I was relaxed and I had to blow dry/curl my hair. The twirls definitely take longer than the two strand twists. I also have much more shrinkage with the twirls than the twists. That said, my hair looks much fuller and holds better with the twirls. My hair is not very long now so that may be why I can get it done in an hour. I bc'd 12/08 so my best guess is that my hair is 5 1/2 to 6 inches stretched.

I use Coconut Milk or Giovanni Direct shampoo, Suave Coconut Conditioner as a rinsing conditioner, and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine as the combing conditioner. Works for me.
  • KayCKayC Posts: 61Registered Users
    I tried the conditioner only method and ended up with fuzz when it dried except in the 3cish parts of my hair. It looked good when wet but took forever and dried in a big fuzz ball. A really soft fuzzball, but fuzzball nonetheless.

Pictures are in my 2009 fotki album.
    Mixture of 4a and 4b and even some 3b/c mixed in around the nape of th neck.

Rather it is Hair or my Jewelry or my Blog, it is still all me. (Fotki password: kinkycoily)

Natural for 12 years...and counting!
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I finger combed my hair when I used the None of Your Frizziness conditioner and my curls were soft, slightly elongated, more defined, and barely noticeable frizz. The effect lasted until my next shampoo. However, I noticed some residue. I think I'll try it again, but next time I'll use a leave-in conditioner first.

UPDATE:
    I tried this method four additional times using oil prior and after the conditioner, as well as a leave-in before and after the conditioner. Each time white residue was left on my hair. When people get close, they see it.

So, I guess this method is not for me.
    :sad:
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I sorta/kinda do her method -- except I don't use a comb or brush:mrgreen: I smooth the conditioner down with my fingers. Sometimes I leave it all in, but most of the time coldwater rinse, then apply more. Umm, I guess I don't use her method.

PS - only rinseout conditioner I don't rinse out is Loma Nourishing Moisturizer and Mop Top Daily (when I use it). So I guess I do her method some of the time. But I do use gel.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Fusilli_headFusilli_head Posts: 58Registered Users
    I tried this method a bunch of times and it didn't work for me. I ended up with hard hair once, white flecks another time and sore arms/wrists the rest of the time. Plus lots of frizz. Also, a lot of the conditioners she uses have cones in them, and that ended up drying up my hair/leaving buildup and conditioners without any cones would just harden up my hair and leave it soft when I washed it out the next day, instead of leaving me with soft hair from the start.
    HG Moisturizers: Raw unrefined whipped shea butter, shealoe, whipped cocoa butter, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin's Whipped Pudding, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Milkshake

HG Conditioners: GVP Balm, HEHH, GVP Detangler

HG Cleansers: Still looking! (but I'm eyeing that Honey Wash)

HG Leave Ins: None yet, but I have a few to try.

HG Deep Treatments: I've tried a few but nothing has wowed me yet, suggestions are welcome!
  • TorimomTorimom Posts: 258Registered Users
    I sort of use it on my daughter but she's CG (I hope to be one day). I use LVPNG but don't define each curl, I pick a few that are misbehaving and do those. She won't sit still for me to do her whole head. Raking with Long Aid gel works just as good for her and it's faster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    I don't completely follow her method. What I have applied from her site is the following: using a conditioner labeled as rinse out as a leave in and using way more of said leave in conditioner than I was using before. I use a non-Denman brush to detangle in the shower before I apply my leave-in. I knew about twirling and twisting before I discovered Teri's site. Thus, I already knew that I did not have the patience to twirl every curl, considering that a large section of my hair only has a few strands per clump when it does get together. I rake and smooth in sections and go about my business. I like the results I get from that. My hair is indeed calmer and clumpier in my eyes. I'd only brush my leave-in in if I was having a rare urge to really play in my hair.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • AGrlCanMACAGrlCanMAC Posts: 157Registered Users
    It worked for me when I added other things to the conditioner (hair gel and oil). And I used my fingers instead to rake and smooth it in.

I don't really do this anymore b/c it's time consuming. I just do braid outs most of the time now. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4A, Coily
    GOC 2009! Who's with me!
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    Whenever I leave regular conditioner in my hair without a sealant or gel, it's a mess. The texture feels weird and I don't have second day hair. I end up having to redo my hair and I don't have the time for that.

Maybe if I twirled every curl while soaking wt it would work, but my hair begins to shrink within 15 minutes of it being wet despite whatever is in it. I feel like I am working against time.
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Posts: 234Registered Users
    It depends on what you mean by work. My avatar pic is the result of the conditioner only method. I have to use gel over it in order to get any hold or definition. Conditioner alone does not work for me. My result is a very cute curly afro that I love. If you want your hair to look like Teri then maybe not so much. lol. It honestly only takes me 30 minutes to do it if I detangle in the shower. It is the quickest hairstyle besides a wash and go that I know how to do.
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a
  • NubianPrizeNubianPrize Posts: 123Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    I was checking out tightlycurly.com for the 2nd or 3rd time and am thinking about following Teri's method of washing/detangling/twirling.

BUT IT SEEMS SO TIME CONSUMING! Especially for my thick 4A hair. And I wonder if a Denman would just frizz me anyway.

Do any 4As use her method? Is good?

=========

I've tried it with some modification since I only have a twa about 3" long. Basically I wash my hair, apply a rinse conditioner, may or may not detangle/comb thru then add a deep or leave in conditioner & work it all thru,paying close attention to developing curl patterns. If it's a rinse out deep condish I do a kind of finger comb so as to not disrupt all the little coils & curlies, then I rinse & apply styling products like Qhemet or CURLS,working them into my hair with fingers & trying not to disrupt the curl patterns. If I use a leave in, I'll finger comb after it's applied, let it sink in a few minutes & then apply the stylers. I usually wind up with a lot of little coils but if I do use a Denman type brush, it messes up the curl pattern & I get fuzz. It's almost the same result if I use my Goody detangling comb.It's best if I use my fingers if I want curlies & leave detangling to maybe a few times a month.
    Hair type 4 "mystery":dontknow:
    Fine,soft hair with little penspring curls of different sizes. Small patch of wavy hair at center of my nape. Did BC in 2009 after 28yrs of curly perms.
    Products:WEN Fig, KinkyCurly, QhemetBiologics, SheaMoisture, Vatika oil, EVCO, EVOO, WGO, JBCO products
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    I sorta/kinda do her method -- except I don't use a comb or brush:mrgreen: I smooth the conditioner down with my fingers. Sometimes I leave it all in, but most of the time coldwater rinse, then apply more. Umm, I guess I don't use her method.

I do it like this too. The conditioner, I find it doesn't matter which one as long as it is kinda thick and heavy. I've used Hello hydration, the pantene relaxed and natural deep conditioner, traderjoes refresh and lustrasilk cholesterol. I detangle with a widetooth comb first. no brush or denman touches my hair. sometimes a I braid or twist chunck of hair together to encourage clumping and shake my head like a wet dog for volume.
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    I decided to revive this thread. I just went on Teri's website tightlycurly.com yesterday. I was thinking about trying this method on my sister's hair since shes a 4a with shoulder length hair unstretched , and midback stretched.

Has anyone tried Teri's method with any real results?

I understand that it may be time consuming but I figure this may be the best way to go since she doesn't know how to braid, twist or do anything to her hair that involves styling. :disgust: Shes 15 and although I try and show her simple twists she just doesn't 'get it'.

Thanks!
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • MslizziaMslizzia Posts: 600Registered Users
    I do NOT have the patience to sit there and define each curl... its just not gonna happin capn
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually use her method on my daughters hair but I don't do the little doodles, or whatever they are called. I might try one day but my daughter has gotten great curl definition with herbal essence hello hydration conditioner left in and a wide tooth comb.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
    I tried this method a bunch of times and it didn't work for me. I ended up with hard hair once, white flecks another time and sore arms/wrists the rest of the time. Plus lots of frizz. Also, a lot of the conditioners she uses have cones in them, and that ended up drying up my hair/leaving buildup and conditioners without any cones would just harden up my hair and leave it soft when I washed it out the next day, instead of leaving me with soft hair from the start.

Didn't know that. That is a no-no for me.

Ok so how can she repeatedly cowash and condition with cones w/o hair craziness?
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

It depends on what you mean by work. My avatar pic is the result of the conditioner only method. I have to use gel over it in order to get any hold or definition. Conditioner alone does not work for me. My result is a very cute curly afro that I love. If you want your hair to look like Teri then maybe not so much. lol. It honestly only takes me 30 minutes to do it if I detangle in the shower. It is the quickest hairstyle besides a wash and go that I know how to do.

Its using the denman and using it properly. Going through all those sections and holding the denman just so...
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nicky791 wrote: »
    I decided to revive this thread. I just went on Teri's website tightlycurly.com yesterday. I was thinking about trying this method on my sister's hair since shes a 4a with shoulder length hair unstretched , and midback stretched.

Has anyone tried Teri's method with any real results?

I understand that it may be time consuming but I figure this may be the best way to go since she doesn't know how to braid, twist or do anything to her hair that involves styling. :disgust: Shes 15 and although I try and show her simple twists she just doesn't 'get it'.

Thanks!
    I've done it twice over the last week or so. And it wasn't as time-consuming as I thought! As long as I detangle in the shower under the water stream (which really helps untangle), using my Denman doesn't rip my hair out. I get as much definition as ever (only EcoStyler or IC gels define better for me so far), my hair is so and there's no stickiness or crunchiness on my hair. The main drawback is the long drying time.

I used HEHH this AM and it was good, but I'm looking for other conditioners to use with this method. I like it!
    afrikurl wrote: »

I do it like this too. The conditioner, I find it doesn't matter which one as long as it is kinda thick and heavy. I've used Hello hydration, the pantene relaxed and natural deep conditioner, traderjoes refresh and lustrasilk cholesterol. I detangle with a widetooth comb first. no brush or denman touches my hair. sometimes a I braid or twist chunck of hair together to encourage clumping and shake my head like a wet dog for volume.
    This.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users

PS - only rinseout conditioner I don't rinse out is Loma Nourishing Moisturizer and Mop Top Daily (when I use it). So I guess I do her method some of the time. But I do use gel.

I do the same thing. I "scrunch" some of it in a little. My coils/curls were POPPING yesterday. Most of my hair is pretty defined anyways, but i wont to try Teri's method again, because it is time comsuming.
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not knocking her hair or methods at all (her hair is frickin' awesome), but I was looking at the before and afters of people who tried her method, and I really wonder how much of it was from all that time consuming defining, or from using a ton of conditioner and/or product once out of the shower. Like on the little girl...I just couldn't imagine going through my short hair and defining EVERY curl...
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    ilove visiting her site and seeing all of her progress. I tried her method a long time ago when I was kind of coming out of my TWA stage, and it didn't work well for me. Not sure if I didn't use a combing conditioner that was combatable or what. My hair shrank up so bad that I had to co-wash it to death to get it back to "normal".

I have found some other ways to get my hair together. The whole twirling, smoothing, etc would take forever on my head. A good co-washing takes about 10 - 15 minutes as it is. Then to try to go and define each little clum/curl?!?! Nah, I'll pass.

I would like to see progress pics from other ladies though.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A good co-washing takes about 10 - 15 minutes as it is.
    Why? What all do you do?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file