Has anyone else on here realized that Miss Jessies...

Bloosom123Bloosom123 Posts: 47Registered Users
...products are bigs scams?

I was suckered into using them when they first came out, but boy did my hair pay the price. It got dry and brittle to no end. How can women justify paying anything over thirty bucks for hair products that might last you a couple of weeks? Sure my hair did 'curl' up but to honestly support such a habit was never ending. One would require lots of money and conditioning treatments to maintain that Jheri curl appeal. Those same women that would spend big on MJ's products wouldn't dare donate that amount or more to a charity or support a cause for empowerment of any sort. Where are our priorities?

What are women chasing when they spend all kinds of ridiculous money for hair products like MJ's? Good, curly hair perhaps? Nobody wants nappy hair you know. Hmm

That company actually does well with newly natural woman because they don't know what else to do.
We have to help those women and let them know that there are natural products such as oils and other ingredients closer to nature that are good for their hair.

I don;t feel the same about hair tools. Those you can keep and use over and over, but my Goodness! To go to the salon and get those expensive hair styles and then get the crazy expensive products to boot?! What was I thinking? What are other women thinking?

Miss Jessies company has good marketing. Two biracial females with non 4a and 4b hair making the promise of non-nappy looking hair. More power to them!

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kinda yeah. Glad somebody said it.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    over two years ago, during their holidays sale I got a big jar of their deep condish and I got the samples of the cremes for free (this is when I was lost in the sea of products and pjism). The deep condish made my hair soft, but had a lingering smell and my hair dried hard :( I tried the cremes and they did nothing for my hair. Gave them away.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • LhoreSpencerLhoreSpencer Posts: 474Registered Users
    When I made the decision to go natural, I purchased the sample set thinking they were great for "nappy" hair. TBH, I've only used ONE of them, with mediocre results. It wasn't until I began to read these forums and research that I learned that MJs products are complete propaganda!!! The ingredients alone are a complete no-no... and includes mineral oil and petrolaum!!! Carol's Daughter too... sorry for those that love her products. And unfortunately these commercialized companies do prey upon the newly natural, who lack the knowledge or means of truly caring for their hair.

I'm hoping that many of the new products I've come to love don't commercialize... which is exactly what CD did. When she was in downtown BK, her products were boom!!! And I'm sorry, I'm beginning to think that KBB might do the same thing too... it's just a feeling I have (esp. with the changes in ingredients and quality of her products).

BTW, the MJ hair salon is RIDICULOUSLY expensive!!! Not that I ever been but I was contemplating it when I first began my journey last year.

As the saying goes, knowledge is power. And with the internet world as your resource you would think it would be easy to research things on hair care. But then again, when you can just walk into a BSS and just purchase "nappy" hair products instead of having to wait weeks for better hair products... why not purchase MJs?

:hiding:Shameless plug: I'm still trying to get rid of my MJ sample set... anyone interested???:hiding:
    FdQlm4.png
    Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in :love4: with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

*SIGH* Alas, I've come to accept my shrinkage and fairy knots :angry7:

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Shameless plug: I'm still trying to get rid of my MJ sample set... anyone interested???

Maybe...What's in the set?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I made the decision to go natural, I purchased the sample set thinking they were great for "nappy" hair. TBH, I've only used ONE of them, with mediocre results. It wasn't until I began to read these forums and research that I learned that MJs products are complete propaganda!!! The ingredients alone are a complete no-no... and includes mineral oil and petrolaum!!! Carol's Daughter too... sorry for those that love her products. And unfortunately these commercialized companies do prey upon the newly natural, who lack the knowledge or means of truly caring for their hair.

I'm hoping that many of the new products I've come to love don't commercialize... which is exactly what CD did. When she was in downtown BK, her products were boom!!! And I'm sorry, I'm beginning to think that KBB might do the same thing too... it's just a feeling I have (esp. with the changes in ingredients and quality of her products).

BTW, the MJ hair salon is RIDICULOUSLY expensive!!! Not that I ever been but I was contemplating it when I first began my journey last year.

As the saying goes, knowledge is power. And with the internet world as your resource you would think it would be easy to research things on hair care. But then again, when you can just walk into a BSS and just purchase "nappy" hair products instead of having to wait weeks for better hair products... why not purchase MJs?

:hiding:Shameless plug: I'm still trying to get rid of my MJ sample set... anyone interested???:hiding:

CD used to be a good line BEFORE she got financial backing and endorsements from celebrity partners. That's when it changed. Not that I used any of her products before, because you could find similar products, but cheaper. But many people used to swear by the original products/formulation. Now, they've taken out alot of the goodies, and substituted for non-comparable ingredients. Sad, really.

But yeah....it's all about slick marketing, and making people believe you can achieve "dream" hair from a bottle.

Oh, and I've never just MJ products either. lol
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Shameless plug: I'm still trying to get rid of my MJ sample set... anyone interested???

Maybe...What's in the set?

It's actually on the swap boards... someone did purchase the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink]s but the other products are available.
    FdQlm4.png
    Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in :love4: with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!
  • LB91LB91 Posts: 107Registered Users
    Bloosom123 wrote: »

I was suckered into using them when they first came out, but boy did my hair pay the price. It got dry and brittle to no end. How can women justify paying anything over thirty bucks for hair products that might last you a couple of weeks? Sure my hair did 'curl' up but to honestly support such a habit was never ending. One would require lots of money and conditioning treatments to maintain that Jheri curl appeal. Those same women that would spend big on MJ's products wouldn't dare donate that amount or more to a charity or support a cause for empowerment of any sort. Where are our priorities?

What are women chasing when they spend all kinds of ridiculous money for hair products like MJ's? Good, curly hair perhaps? Nobody wants nappy hair you know. Hmm

That company actually does well with newly natural woman because they don't know what else to do.
    We have to help those women and let them know that there are natural products such as oils and other ingredients closer to nature that are good for their hair.

I don;t feel the same about hair tools. Those you can keep and use over and over, but my Goodness! To go to the salon and get those expensive hair styles and then get the crazy expensive products to boot?! What was I thinking? What are other women thinking?

Miss Jessies company has good marketing. Two biracial females with non 4a and 4b hair making the promise of non-nappy looking hair. More power to them!

::Nodding head:: I agree with you. I have come to realize that the best thing for natural hair are natural things that are usually cheaper. The only commerial products I buy are Suave & Natures Gate Conditioner which are under $7.00 for me, everything else is butters and oil.

I am also a firm believer on being your own hairstylist, unless you really don't know how to do it yourself. I feel like products and hair salons made for natural hair are taking complete advantage of us. Seriously I saw the price for a hair salon in Brooklyn, NY...$300 for kinky twist w/o ext. :roll: Yeah whatever...
    Cowash : Yes to Carrots
    Detangling Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in Mix: Tresemme Naturals, coconut oil, glycerin, aloe vera gel
    Moisturizing Styler: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
    Sealent: Castor Oil
    None of these products contain silicones, protein, or sulfates. If this doesn't end my dry spell I don't know what I will do.
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I don't know why everybody keeps sayng cd's products have changed since she blew up. I use to use her products before she got real successful with jada and them and loved the healthy hair butter and tui smoothie conditioner. From what I see the ingredients in them are the same ingredients when I was using her stuff a few years ago. Only difference I noticed was her upping the prices. The extra chemicals probably wasn't in there. But she's always used corn oil and beeswax in her stuff. But when I was using her stuff I was relaxed. I didn't like it on my natural hair though. But I do plan on trying her stuff again and buying it for my daughter's hair since I found out there's a sephora where I live. I'm tired of paying all this money to order stuff online along with high shipping prices and can't afford it right now. But as far as MJ's, I almost bought into the hype when I first went natural. I wanted to go to their salon. I bought that curly crap and it did nothing but left my hair dry with residue.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use to use their products, but no longer. I like my Kinky Curly better. But do I think it's a scam? um no. They are a business. There are no lies. It is up to the individual to research what will work for their hair. I'm not going to begrudge any business for going a bit high end. They don't have a monopoly on hair products. I'm sure it works for some. It did for me for a while.

And I'm pretty sure they are 4a. I think they do have a texturizer, though.
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    I did the Miss Jessie's thing for a while since they were recommended to me by an Aveda stylist I was using at the time. My hair is very dense so the amount of product I had to use made me go through product like water. I did like the results, but it was a one day thing and I always had to reapply product if I wanted the curl definition to last longer.

I have since decided to take a more simpler route in hair styling and also use more protective styling than out styles. I still have a couple of those $50 and $60 bottles of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] and who knows...maybe I'll use them one day again. But there is definitely a lot of products out there that give arguably better results for a fraction of the cost and that are healthier for your hair.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't want to disparage Miss Jessies because I have seen people with all types of curly/kinky/wavy hair rave about the products...so if it works for someone I am glad for them!

One of the Miss Jessie's co-owners does have a texturizer..They call it a "silkener" but it's just sodium hydroxide left on for a shorter time is all. There is a You Tube video staring her that says she does have a "silkener": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcaDWL_oXc

It's on their website as well. So her hair is not "natural" per se in the first place so I don't think one can say what her hair is really because it's been chemically altered... unless she tells it. I don't know about her sister though. Either way, I can see why both of them are very good spokesmodels for their products because many people want hair similiar to these ladies.

I will say that I honestly do think some of these specifically "curly/kinky/wavy" hair lines sold by these companies similar to Miss Jessies are way overpriced and without good reason.

Besides that, I've seen and heard of many people (including myself) that make some pretty good concoctions on their own by simply using various natural ingredients and drugstore brands that help them keep their hair healthy, styled the way they like, and it's not really expensive at all.

Personally, I don't really get overly excited about these sorts of lines but I don't put them down either because for some people they really are helpful and that's the most important thing..that they do help some people. And if these people are willing to pay the prices..it's their money. :)

I do think they draw a lot of people in because people really want the "holy grail" product and when one sees those pictures on Miss Jessies website of either the two owners or of the tons of pics of women that use Miss Jessies products on the website... with all the wonderful looks.. it's hard for some people to NOT want to at least try it to get the same results or close to it.

So I do understand why people try it and even stick with it. I personally don't think Miss Jessies is a scam. I think people themselves have to do research on whatever they put in their hair and ask questions to get answers. Miss Jessies does have FAQ's right on their website. So to me, this is one of those issues that's about personal responsibility.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never used MJ's simply because of all the negative reviews I have read, and the ingredients don't seem like something my hair would enjoy. I'm not paying $60 for something with mineral oil in it. Right... I was also really skeptical when I went to their site and read somewhere that "silkening" was like $600. What? I'd rather shave my head.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • M3rlzM3rlz Posts: 64Registered Users
    I wish someone would have warned me before I was suckered into buying all of those items. I'll try to use them again when my hair gets longer.
    event.png

Hair type
    : 4A Majority of pen spring curls / 4B around temples & ears
    Last Big Chop: 5/31/2009
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 2008

• Fusilli_headFusilli_head Posts: 58Registered Users
    I don't really have anything to say about MJ from a marketing standpoint, but I will say that I don't understand how they can make products with such bad ingredients. I really don't believe that the products work that well for a lot of people. I think it might be that people are embarrassed to say that they spent all that money on something that didn't work, or they don't know that if their hair is dry or has build up or something, it's a result of their products.

I only say that because I was someone that thought that my lot in life was just to have really dry, hard, rough hair. When I stopped using that stuff and my hair went into recovery mode, I discovered that the deep conditioner was way too protein heavy and my hair was protein sensitive. I then came to this board and a bunch of other ones and discovered how bad lanolin and mineral oil are for hair and avoid those ingredients like the plague. My hair right now is much, much, much improved.

I definitely think that MJ 's best customers are the uninformed and newly natural, because I went off their products as soon as I learned how bad they actually were for my hair.
    HG Moisturizers: Raw unrefined whipped shea butter, shealoe, whipped cocoa butter, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin's Whipped Pudding, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Milkshake

HG Conditioners: GVP Balm, HEHH, GVP Detangler

HG Cleansers: Still looking! (but I'm eyeing that Honey Wash)

HG Leave Ins: None yet, but I have a few to try.

HG Deep Treatments: I've tried a few but nothing has wowed me yet, suggestions are welcome!
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Posts: 234Registered Users

Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter products are complete and utter junk. They should be ashamed of themselves for marketing those products at such high cost for nothing. The products eventually damage your hair and they do prey on the ignorance of the newly natural. I am still kicking myself for falling for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] and hair milk advertisements without doing my research first.

The part in bold was a good point. I had to reflect on my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] habit as well. Why did I try so hard to find a miracle product to "define my curls?" I like having the option to change up my look, but now, I'm more satisfied with whatever my hair feels like doing that day. We shed the relaxers but have we really shed the good hair/bad hair mindset? :dontknow:
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a

Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter products are complete and utter junk. They should be ashamed of themselves for marketing those products at such high cost for nothing. The products eventually damage your hair and they do prey on the ignorance of the newly natural. I am still kicking myself for falling for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] and hair milk advertisements without doing my research first.

The part in bold was a good point. I had to reflect on my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] habit as well. Why did I try so hard to find a miracle product to "define my curls?" I like having the option to change up my look, but now, I'm more satisfied with whatever my hair feels like doing that day. We shed the relaxers but have we really shed the good hair/bad hair mindset? :dontknow:

Well said!!! Many of us fall into this category, myself included. Yes we have finally denounced relaxers, but now we're in search of that miracle curl creme.
    We on the road to acceptance, finally, but many are still in denial on a lot of hair issues.
    It's a work in progress!!!
    FdQlm4.png

• certifiedivacertifiediva Posts: 173Registered Users
    yes i agree! well said-well said!!
    Been a long time... I shouldn't have left you...

Re-Visiting Old Products & Checking out some new products... Coming up with a whole new hair routine... I've neglected my sexy kinks for far too long!

I'm baaaaccckk!

Being a Diva is a full time job...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think calling Miss Jessie's a scam is a little harsh. Their prices are on the high side of competitive. Obviously they don't buy into the CG (no mineral oils/minimal silicones) philosophy. But they are not fooling anyone and that's what a scam does. I'm a former MJCP user (before it changed ingredients and after I could no longer tolerate the scent). I say the above knowing I wouild never buy any of the product line today. I'm also a former Curlisto and Ouidad user, two other high-end lines, both legitimate and with a huge following. I no longer buy into the MJ, Curlisto or Ouidad product philsophy. Doesn't mean they are scams.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter saw a niche and filled it for profit.

I ain't mad at them. It's just business.

Pantene's working the Relaxed and Natural line, cosmetic companies are adding 'natural' products and trying to snag more women of color, not out of altruism, but for that almighty dollar.

I have to tell you, CD was the first natural line to get me excited about being natural and using natural products. Unfortunately, that corn oil and ish did nothing for me. :angry3: But it made me say I can do this myself, so I became a mixtress on the lookout for good natural products. Had I not tried CD, I may have gone back to the perm.

Now, Miss Jessie's? I put every ingredient in the cosmetic database and came up with nothing special... and for their prices, that stuff better have some gold in it.

Often, when small companies get larger or taken over, their lines suffer because business is all about increasing profit for the manufacturer. That's why you see the same old garbage ingredients start to show up on the label, just rearranged or with Latin names like it's something new.

As a former crafter of body products, you may have no idea how much research and development, testing and 'stabilizing' goes into a sucessful natural product line. Too much to get into here, but that's why you pay a little more... so if you find your holy grail, it's worth it.
  • KilaelKilael Posts: 67Registered Users
    When I first started transitioning I got swept up in the CD movement. I ordered just about everything they had and was very excitied. The first time I washed my hair I noticed it was very dry, but just slapped on their styling products and kept going. It wasn't until I went to my beautician back home that I realized that my hair was greasier than my moms cast iron skillet on fish day. It was so limp and wouldn't do anything. After that I pretty much gave up and went back to the relaxer and it took my hair thinning to the point of baldness to make me start transitioning again. I thank this site for educating me on what some of the additives do to our hair. Now I know better and won't be caught up in the hype again.
    I finally have my own fotki. :laughing6:
    http://public.fotki.com/Kilael/
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    :hello2:for me it depends on the product and using it in moderation..i really like the buttercremes, it works and doesn't leave my hair all greasy. I have also decided that whatever i don't like i will give away to one of my many sisters, so its a win/win situation. I get rid of a product if it doesn't work for me, then in turn making my stash smaller, giving me an excuse:happy3::happy2::happy3: to try something new.:brushteeth:

then again my hair like 9 out of ten of the things i plop on it, so....
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
    My prayer is that these newly acclaimed holy grail products (Afroveda, Qhemet Biologics, Oyin, Hairveda, Komaza, etc) that have established a tremendous following, based on their quality of ingredients and what the products do, don't suddenly decide to make the commercialized switch all for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Sometimes, entrepreneurs should remain devoted to the main reason why they created their hair products as opposed to "making it big" or "raking in the dough."

That's why I love the philosophy of Aubrey Organics... as quoted from their website: "From the products we manufacture to the people we touch, we believe that how a company conducts its business is as important as what it sells. Ethics, values, environment, responsibility and leadership are all at the heart of Aubrey Organics."

More natural hair care companies should adopt this philosophy and practice.
    FdQlm4.png

My prayer is that these newly acclaimed holy grail products (Afroveda, Qhemet Biologics, Oyin, Hairveda, Komaza, etc) that have established a tremendous following, based on their quality of ingredients and what the products do, don't suddenly decide to make the commercialized switch all for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Sometimes, entrepreneurs should remain devoted to the main reason why they created their hair products as opposed to "making it big" or "raking in the dough."

That's why I love the philosophy of Aubrey Organics... as quoted from their website: "From the products we manufacture to the people we touch, we believe that how a company conducts its business is as important as what it sells. Ethics, values, environment, responsibility and leadership are all at the heart of Aubrey Organics."

true!

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I agree with you on the newly acclaimed holy grails. I like them lots and really hope they stay true to how they began. However, I'm not ready to give aubrey organics a high five. Yes, I love their conditioners but the way they list the ingredients on the conditioners (coconut fatty acid cream base) drives me bonkers. Why not just say cetyl alcohol?

@ OP - I don't believe Miss Jessies founders are scammers. Business is business. It's up to each of us to have personal responsibility with the products we decide to use. Knowledge is power.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »

I agree with you on the newly acclaimed holy grails. I like them lots and really hope they stay true to how they began. However, I'm not ready to give aubrey organics a high five. Yes, I love their conditioners but the way they list the ingredients on the conditioners (coconut fatty acid cream base) drives me bonkers. Why not just say cetyl alcohol?

@ OP - I don't believe Miss Jessies founders are scammers. Business is business. It's up to each of us to have personal responsibility with the products we decide to use. Knowledge is power.

yeah i think the problem is some people think that just because something says natural on it, or it it is targeted towards natural hair(or anything really that it must be good. That is not the case. in all honesty...they dont care about you, they care about a profit.

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

• LuckyMeCandyLuckyMeCandy Posts: 35Registered Users
    I agree with the above. Rather it is stamped "natural" or sold for 99 cents at your local Korean store, they are all in it for the same reason, profit. As many have said, it's up to you as a consumer to find the best products that work for your hair. It's all subjective.
  • TorimomTorimom Posts: 258Registered Users
    Being cheap and lazy saved me from getting alot of those products. I was just fooling around online trying to find something to work for me UNTIL I could get to Sephora to try CD or get someone to pick up some MJ for me and found you!
    I am using up all my leftover PJ items and most of it works good for me (except for the mineral oil/parafinnum liquidum stuff). Some of it even better than it did when I was relaxed. Once I'm thru with all of it I'm making a go at CG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
  • CurleeDSTCurleeDST Posts: 467Registered Users
    I use the products. They do what they say they are going to to so I do not consider that a scam. The price point is not for everyone.

Cheap products do NOTHING to my hair so I consider those rip offs. Simply b/c it costs $.99 doesn't mean I should be satisfied with less than stellar results.

If paying the high price doesn't work for you - cool - one product isn't for everyone. Ultra expensive products also offer no value to my hair. My hair can't stand ultra cheap or ultra expensive products.

I think calling Miss Jessie's a scam is a little harsh. Their prices are on the high side of competitive. Obviously they don't buy into the CG (no mineral oils/minimal silicones) philosophy. But they are not fooling anyone and that's what a scam does. I'm a former MJCP user (before it changed ingredients and after I could no longer tolerate the scent). I say the above knowing I wouild never buy any of the product line today. I'm also a former Curlisto and Ouidad user, two other high-end lines, both legitimate and with a huge following. I no longer buy into the MJ, Curlisto or Ouidad product philsophy. Doesn't mean they are scams.
    I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
    No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
    Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    Torimom wrote: »
    Being cheap and lazy saved me from getting alot of those products.

Me too. I wanted some MJ and I wasnt newly natural, just curious. I think they are very upfront about their products, they post the ingredients, they tell you which ones to use for what style and they even have pictorials on how to diy. They even say when someones before and after pics have had chemical alterations or have been stretched with heat. I think the problem is that folks think the product itself will work miracles. You still have to style your hair when you use 50 dollar cream
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users
    Trenell wrote: »
    I use to use their products, but no longer. I like my Kinky Curly better. But do I think it's a scam? um no. They are a business. There are no lies. It is up to the individual to research what will work for their hair. I'm not going to begrudge any business for going a bit high end. They don't have a monopoly on hair products. I'm sure it works for some. It did for me for a while.

And I'm pretty sure they are 4a. I think they do have a texturizer, though.

Cosign on this. I only tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Buttercreme-p-577.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-buttercreme]Curly Buttercreme[/buylink] and I liked it...Actually the only reason I stopped using it is because I am a vegan and it had beeswax in it. I was sad because it worked well on my hair for moisture and it smells AMAZING. I loved that strong peppermint smell. A lot of her products smell delicious.

So I think it is good for certain types of hair and perhaps doesn't work as well on others. Curly Nikki actually had an interview with that girl Syesha Mercado from American Idol on her website and Syesha apparently loves Miss Jessies and her hair is fabulous so obviously it works for some people. The interview and pics of her hair are on this link, just scroll down the page for the interview.

http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/Celebrity%20Interviews
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file