Starting To Transition

MissshannonMissshannon Registered Users Posts: 20
I just started transitioning( I believe I have 3c and a bit of 4a mixed in there). I think I have about an inch in the front mabye an inch and a half in the back and I really don't want to use heat because I have lots of problems with hair breakage. I really want to know is there any styles I can wear without doing a big chop that don't require much heat. Also I was wondering if anyone had any tips on ways to stop breakage while transitioning.

Thanks in advance !

BTW what is your view on using grease. I know a lot of people don't like them because they clog the hair but what do you use to keep the hair smooth, shiny, and silky?

Comments

• drineybeardrineybear Registered Users Posts: 27
    I'm in the same boat as you, so i would also like to hear what others suggest for breakage. so far, I've been doing ponytails and this morning i twisted my hair in rows going back and i'll probably take it out tomorrow before going to work to go for the twist out look. but other than that, i'm not sure what other style options are out there that don't require heat. i also have been experience a lot of breakage, but what i notice is that my hair breaks more while dry than when wet. not sure if you experience the same thing.

also as far as oils, i've been using wild hair growth oil. it has a bunch of different oils in it (not mineral or petrolium oils). and i usually use it about twice a week.
    Last Relaxer - April 2006
    Hair Type - 4a (so far from what I can see)
  • MissshannonMissshannon Registered Users Posts: 20
    Yes my hair breaks off more when it is dry as well. So I try to comb it as little as possible. I mainly comb in the morning and at night before bed. However it is really hard to avoid breakage when I try to oil the scalp !
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    here's a link to a really helpful website. It includes suggestions for natural/transitioning hairstyles and how to's. it also has a lot of other useful info about haircare and homemade recipies.

http://www.motowngirl.com/how_to.php

for breakage, I recommend doing protein deep treatments followed by moisturizing ones. Be gentle to the hair, handle with care. Once when my hair was recovering from a horrific stylist/bleach mishap; Another stylist suggested that I not comb or brush my hair for awhile. So fingercombing became a regular; keep in mind this required a VERY good conditioner that detangles well. When you do ponytails, don't pull too hard on your hair. Lately, I've been adding coconut oil to my conditioner to help moisturize it. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase-cuts down on frizz and breakage.

my take on grease: I don't buy or use it anymore. I've come to the conclusion that all it does is just sit on my hair and make it greasy. I don't see the benefit. plus its texture just dosen't appeal to me, just thick and greasy. not to mention that most of them contain petrolatum-whatever its called and mineral oil etc. those ingredients don't do it for me. Instead I use lotsa conditioner, sometimes i don't rinse it all the way out or I'll use a leave-in, and a gel that doesn't contain alcohol. I like LA Looks gel or FX curlbooster fixative gel.

hth
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • soon2bsoon2b Registered Users Posts: 220
    I would suggest that you could try braid out..twist out..braids(cornrows are best....or get a straw set. I personally get braids, leave them in a few weeks, take them out to let hair breathe and then get them redone. Please be sure not to get the braids too tight because that can cause breakage.
    As for breakage treatments....I use Aphogee breakage treatment that was recommended to me by my stylist. It has improved the condition of my hair. I always use another conditioner afterwards for better detangling properties.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file