What butters do you use?

Fusilli_headFusilli_head Posts: 58Registered Users
I'm gonna start whipping my own butters this winter and I was wondering what kinds of butter concoctions everyone else makes? My hair loves shea butter, so that's one of my staples, but I'm thinking of experimenting with avocado butter and cocoa butter. Does anyone have any info to share on other, perhaps more rare butters? Any recipes for 4a hair would be great. I'm whipping things up for a couple of friends of mine with 4a/4b fine, thin, hair that loves protein as well, so I'd love some pointers (I'm a protein sensitive, coarse, dry 4a).

I'm also thinking about making my own deep conditioners and sulfate free shampoos from scratch. Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm also thinking about making poo bars from scratch, since I've recently gotten into soapmaking as a hobby.
HG Moisturizers: Raw unrefined whipped shea butter, shealoe, whipped cocoa butter, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin's Whipped Pudding, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Milkshake

HG Conditioners: GVP Balm, HEHH, GVP Detangler

HG Cleansers: Still looking! (but I'm eyeing that Honey Wash)

HG Leave Ins: None yet, but I have a few to try.

HG Deep Treatments: I've tried a few but nothing has wowed me yet, suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    I like tucuma and Cupuacu-have been my favs as of late. i use them in conjunction W/ shea butter and aloe gel & juice.
    Im about to order some avocado butter though... been hearing way too many rave reviews on it
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    I have a winter mix I'm going to do this winter:

shea butter
    coffee butter
    Frankinsince EO
    Myrrh EO
    castor oil

My hair loves all these ingredients and they are supper moisturizing for my dryness prone 4a hair.

I subscribe to Nappy_Curly_Crown's blog and she did an entry on what ingredients are good for a deep conditioner, meaning they penetrate your hair and condition. So I don't make my own conditioner, but I've started adding either avocado oil or coconut oil to my condtioners because they actually have conditioning properties (penetrate your hair).

I buy my shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley cause I'm too lazy to make my own...:sad5:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My fave butter mix is unrefined shea+aloe vera gel+an oil. Last batch was blackseed oil with sandalwood eo blend & lavender.

The other 'butters' don't really impress me since they are (in essence crisco) palm oil, soybean/cottonseed mixed with an oil to create a butter consistency (hempseed butter, almond butter, olive butter, macadamia nut butter). I like the true butters (shea, cocoa, sal, illipe). Have never tried the ones msjaim references (tucuma and Cupuacu).
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LB91LB91 Posts: 107Registered Users
    Hmm maybe mango butter. I heard of some good reviews about them. As for a DC I like to use Natures Gate Hemp with some oils. I believe it's in my siggy if you are wondering.
    Cowash : Yes to Carrots
    Detangling Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in Mix: Tresemme Naturals, coconut oil, glycerin, aloe vera gel
    Moisturizing Styler: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
    Sealent: Castor Oil
    None of these products contain silicones, protein, or sulfates. If this doesn't end my dry spell I don't know what I will do.
  • beetle87beetle87 Posts: 136Registered Users
    I love shea butter but I want to try some other butters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    nilotica shea butter and cocoa butter :love4:
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I just made some cocoa butter mix with aloe vera gel, coconut oil, olive oil, water, and a tiny bit of activator gel. I hate the smell of cocoa butter though. But next time I wanna use shea butter and probably omit the water and activator gel and see how that comes out.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • certifiedivacertifiediva Posts: 173Registered Users
    I use shea butter!!
    Been a long time... I shouldn't have left you...

Re-Visiting Old Products & Checking out some new products... Coming up with a whole new hair routine... I've neglected my sexy kinks for far too long!

I'm baaaaccckk!

Being a Diva is a full time job...
  • Fusilli_headFusilli_head Posts: 58Registered Users
    lashon20 wrote: »
    I just made some cocoa butter mix with aloe vera gel, coconut oil, olive oil, water, and a tiny bit of activator gel. I hate the smell of cocoa butter though. But next time I wanna use shea butter and probably omit the water and activator gel and see how that comes out.

Have you thought about using vegetable glycerin instead of activator gel? That might be a good substitute.
    HG Moisturizers: Raw unrefined whipped shea butter, shealoe, whipped cocoa butter, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin's Whipped Pudding, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Milkshake

HG Deep Treatments: I've tried a few but nothing has wowed me yet, suggestions are welcome!
  • Fusilli_headFusilli_head Posts: 58Registered Users
    LB91 wrote: »
    Hmm maybe mango butter. I heard of some good reviews about them. As for a DC I like to use Natures Gate Hemp with some oils. I believe it's in my siggy if you are wondering.

I'm definitely gonna add hemp oil to my list of ingredients to try.

• lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    lashon20 wrote: »

Have you thought about using vegetable glycerin instead of activator gel? That might be a good substitute.

Yes the next time I make some I do wanna try some glycerin. I just used the activator cause that's what I had at the house lol.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • curlykyecurlykye Posts: 430Registered Users
    Almond butter :thumbup:
    Avocado butter

And just got the following butters for trial and error:
    Aloe Butter
    Hemp Seed Butter
    Olive Butter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Relaxer: December 2007
    Last Chop of Relaxed Ends/Officially 100% Natural: April 19, 2009

http://public.fotki.com/CurlyKye/

Join me at www.sparkpeople.com (If you look for me, I'm "KyeIsGettingFit")
  • SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users
    I love Avocado Butter, Shea Butter, and Soy Butter for what they do to my hair. Raw Cocoa Butter is oily to me and I only use this for the scent it it makes my Shea butter smell like Cocoa. I don't like the smell of the Cocoa Butter you get from the store that comes in the tubes and have never used it on my hair. I have read that lots of people like Mango Butter but I don't remember what it did to my hair so long ago - I have to re-visit it. I am considering some extracts to cut down on the Shea Butter smell and replace the Raw Cocoa Butter.
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    I have a winter mix I'm going to do this winter:

shea butter
    coffee butter
    Frankinsince EO
    Myrrh EO
    castor oil

My hair loves all these ingredients and they are supper moisturizing for my dryness prone 4a hair.

I subscribe to Nappy_Curly_Crown's blog and she did an entry on what ingredients are good for a deep conditioner, meaning they penetrate your hair and condition. So I don't make my own conditioner, but I've started adding either avocado oil or coconut oil to my condtioners because they actually have conditioning properties (penetrate your hair).

I buy my shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley cause I'm too lazy to make my own...:sad5:

I want to try coffee butter sooo bad. I got in the "no buy"challenge! Dang! :confused5: I might go back on my word.... :study: because I wanted to try it for the winter.

I have Shea, Olive, Aloe, and Macadamia Nut butters as well as some SheAloe, and something I whipped up that I call Lemon Cake Batter (more like frosting once it sits). To make it I mix Shea, Olive, & Aloe butter and add, aloe vera gel, glycerine, either a few drops of Vatika Oil or Jojoba Oil and some Sparkling lemonade for scent. I love it. It's so moisturizing and not too heavy or greasy. I also use it on my skin and DH loves it too!
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • KilaelKilael Posts: 67Registered Users
    I tend to buy my butters in their unrefined block form so I melt down my cocoa butter and mix/whip it into my shea butter since it's so soft. I then add jojoba oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, shikakai oil and a small amount of grapeseed oil to it. It is so soft and it doesn't grit up or harden.
    I finally have my own fotki. :laughing6:
    http://public.fotki.com/Kilael/
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    KBB Butter
    Darcy's Botanicals Butter
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    1. Avocado
    2. Soy
    3. Shea

In that particular order of preference mixed with either coconut oil, Africa's best herbal oil or EVOO
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • mj11051mj11051 Posts: 407Registered Users
    Murumuru, Cupuacu, aloe and avocado butters.
  • AGrlCanMACAGrlCanMAC Posts: 157Registered Users
    I use shea butter and whip it with coconut oil, evoo, (sweet almond oil in the past,) aloe vera gel, and honey. It comes out like a frosting consistency. I luv it. I use it on my body more but I like to seal my ends it and twist with it. Next batch I make I'm going to add some essential oils to add a scent to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4A, Coily
    GOC 2009! Who's with me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file