How Did you Deal with Uneven Growth

totallytwisted<3totallytwisted<3 Posts: 228Registered Users
Hey, so awhile back I was asking the board to help me figure out what to do because my hair was hitting my collar, yet I cannot pull it back into a ponytail bc the sides and front are shorter. Well SBB's response made me realize I have an Afro mullet! LOL. My hair grows way faster in the back than in the front or sides. I refuse to cut my hair to even it out because my goal is longer hair and since it's healthy and moisturized and not splitting I figure I just have to wait till the rest of the hair will catch up. So far I've compensated with headbands and fro-hawks but I'm starting to get bored. Have any of you found ways to compensate for unevenly growing hair?
Last Relaxer December 4, 2008
BC Date March 13, 2009

Ultimate hair goal: APL braidout / WL straight

event.png

Current Loves are henna & hair steaming

http://members.fotki.com/backtobasics/about UPDATED!!! 8/07/10

Comments

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    I have unevenly growing hair. I wish for the mullet cause my hair looks - weird. The sides and back are growing the fastest and the crown and front are waaay behind. I find that twistouts help me. Also, because my hair is very tightly coily, a shrunken fro doesn't look bad either cause I pat down the sides and back and shape it into roundness. :toothy4:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • mizzbellzmizzbellz Posts: 32Registered Users
    Urgh I'm the complete opposite. My front grows fast and hangs in my face but the sides and back is taking its sweet time. Plus I have a small patch at the back that grows way too fast despite always cutting it to match the rest of my nape area. Its making my wash-no-gos look very awkward.
    I guess I have no choice but stick with the scissors.
  • beetle87beetle87 Posts: 136Registered Users
    My hair grows in a mullet shape. I hate that my hair in the front has a slower growth rate than the rest of my hair. I still can't make a rabbit tail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • totallytwisted<3totallytwisted<3 Posts: 228Registered Users
    beetle87 wrote: »
    My hair grows in a mullet shape. I hate that my hair in the front has a slower growth rate than the rest of my hair. I still can't make a rabbit tail.

The other day I realized I could make a ponytail with the back of my hair but the front would be loose. Trust me I would never go out like that but it's frustrating. I wish it all grew at the same speed. My front is taking FOREVER and a day to grow with the back is growing lightening fast.
    Last Relaxer December 4, 2008
    BC Date March 13, 2009

Ultimate hair goal: APL braidout / WL straight

event.png

Current Loves are henna & hair steaming

http://members.fotki.com/backtobasics/about UPDATED!!! 8/07/10
  • Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Posts: 128Registered Users
    Hey, glad to hear about your healthy tresses!! Have you thought about phony ponies or half wigs to break up the monotony?

LT
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • beetle87beetle87 Posts: 136Registered Users
    beetle87 wrote: »

The other day I realized I could make a ponytail with the back of my hair but the front would be loose. Trust me I would never go out like that but it's frustrating. I wish it all grew at the same speed. My front is taking FOREVER and a day to grow with the back is growing lightening fast.

That's exactly how my hair is. It does not even look right with the front clipped down. I hope by the end of the year that the hair in the front will be long enough to do a decent looking bunny tail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    My hair has a strange shape right now, the sides are a lot longer than the top. Like Nubiancoils I just shape it into roundness after a twist out. Wash and gos do look a little weird becuase the sides hang lower.

When I do twists or braids it doesn't matter much though the bangs area is really short and they don't look good so I pin them down and to the side.
  • afrodominican1afrodominican1 Posts: 650Registered Users
    I have the same problem but with the back being much shorter than the front. With wash-n-go's the back shrinks up while the front hangs but when I do a pony puff the front doesnt reach. I think the front only hangs because the front is a looser curl than the rest of my head. IDK, I just want to make a really cute bun and call it a day.
    BC: 2/16/08
    Second BC: 12/22/10
    Dreads!!! 2/16/2014
    Third BC:3/22/16
    Goal Length: waist length

Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file