how toxic is that 'great' co wash esp vo5

anniebee321anniebee321 Posts: 2Registered Users
hi,

i have problem brittle hair that lead me to this site and have read alot about co washing which i found intriging - which led to further research and found some disturbing stuff about the ingredients we are putting in our hair which is actually toxic and cancer related, check out this site

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch.php?query=vo5

the GREAT news is that this site also provides information on safe and gentle hair products which we can experiment with in regards to co washing, treatments etc - in conc i personally would not use v05. THIS IS AN AMAZING RESOURCE SITE use it along with your other research endevours

Comments

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I use organic co and castor oil as a leave-in. I also have one organic gel but my other gels aren't organic. I love V05 conditioners for cowashing & detangling. I'm really not worried about the chemicals. I have good health...thanks to God.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I use organic co and castor oil as a leave-in. I also have one organic gel but my other gels aren't organic. I love V05 conditioners for cowashing & detangling. I'm really not worried about the chemicals. I have good health...thanks to God.

Agreed. VO5 doesn't use any of the chemicals in my "do not use" list so I don't worry too much about it. That and I don't use it as often as i once did.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    *considers saying something else, but changes her mind*

V05 is no more toxic than most other commercial brands.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte

+1
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • labelfreelabelfree Posts: 364Registered Users
    :mad: I dare you talk about my beloved VO5! lol Just kidding but the Hair Dyes are what should really scare people
    Finally found my staples :wav:
  • anniebee321anniebee321 Posts: 2Registered Users
    true v05 may be ''no more toxic than any other major brand'' by way of chemicals; but i am striving for the purest as well as the best; if chemicals don't bother you thats fine. if you are interested in alternatives
    without the chemicals that are best for your hair with
    a little trial and error you will find them.
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    True its no more toxic than most commercial brands but i dont use most commercial brands because of how toxic they are. The preservative they use releases formaldehyde and that is a DO NOT WANT for me in addition to other random chemicals that have not been thoroughly tested. I stick with natural products with safer preservatives like KBB, Hairveda, Oyin, Qhemet, you know the usual.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

*i'll say it then*

Cosmetic database is an inflamatory website that uses scare tactics and is not based on sound scientific evidence nor does it expense sound scientific advice. Using just "all natural" stuff doesn't really prevent you from coming into contact with less chemicals either (which is a common thought process amoung many folks).

How to you think that chemists make synthetic chemical products? They are isolated from thier naturally occuring forms and then mass produced via the lab. "Trace" amounts of formaldehyde are found naturally in lots of things...espically in food (including natural/organic products and minimally processed foods). Heck cyanide is a known poisionious chemical and will kill you dead where you stand even in tiny amounts. I don't see anyone tell people not to eat apples though....matter of fact, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". However, apple seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which is a trace chemical for cyanide.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

*i'll say it then*

Cosmetic database is an inflamatory website that uses scare tactics and is not based on sound scientific evidence nor does it expense sound scientific advice. Using just "all natural" stuff doesn't really prevent you from coming into contact with less chemicals either (which is a common thought process amoung many folks).

How to you think that chemists make synthetic chemical products? They are isolated from thier naturally occuring forms and then mass produced via the lab. "Trace" amounts of formaldehyde are found naturally in lots of things...espically in food (including natural/organic products and minimally processed foods). Heck cyanide is a known poisionious chemical and will kill you dead where you stand even in tiny amounts. I don't see anyone tell people not to eat apples though....matter of fact, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". However, apple seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which is a trace chemical for cyanide.

i love you N_C_C! :love7:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »

*i'll say it then*

me too :)

every now and again, it's time to beat that dead horse but I get tired of holding the bat :evil3:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    hippychic wrote: »

*i'll say it then*

Me three!!

I will continue to use my V05 Tea Therapy until someone shows me the individuals that this product has harmed. :afro:

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    teejay wrote: »
    hippychic wrote: »

Me three!!

I will continue to use my V05 Tea Therapy until someone shows me the individuals that this product has harmed. :afro:
    I know that's right.
  • HajHaj Posts: 164Registered Users
    I really do think that the thread starter was just trying to help. I love what the VO5 does for my hair as far as detangeling and moisturizing. But Lord knows that if I don't completely rinse that stuff out after I'm done my scalp will itch like crazy to no end. :sad3:
  • TjaneeTjanee Posts: 50Registered Users
    I'm skeptical about the ingredients and the hype of V05 and Herbal Essences conditioners. My hair is prone to dryness and these things do nothing for my hair when it comes to moisture. The only thing that impresses me with them is the smell and we all know fragrance isn't everything. For me, its all about results and the health of my hair. With that being said, I love Giovanni Products :thumbup:

event.png
  • KilaelKilael Posts: 67Registered Users
    I'd like to point out that the data gap percentage is there for a reason. They don't have alot of information on the vast majority of the ingredients so we should also take that into consideration. There is also the fact that alot of natural ingredients can still be considered toxic. Rosemary for example can be toxic ESP during pregnancy and don't get me started on our beloved ayurvedics. My beloved suave naturals has a 72% data gap so let us all slow our roles.
    I finally have my own fotki. :laughing6:
    http://public.fotki.com/Kilael/
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Posts: 234Registered Users
    Haj wrote: »
    I really do think that the thread starter was just trying to help. I love what the VO5 does for my hair as far as detangeling and moisturizing. But Lord knows that if I don't completely rinse that stuff out after I'm done my scalp will itch like crazy to no end. :sad3:
    I agree, she was trying to helpful. As far as cheap conditioners are concerned, my beloved VO5 Moisture Milks is the best. I love using it for cowashing, but I'm trying to go CG. So in the future, if I can afford it, I will try and use natural products. Natural is good for beauty and health.
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file