DHC and oily acne prone skin

razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
I'm curious about DHC. I heard about DHC last year during the OCM posts, of which I took part. OCM broke me out horribly. But before it did, my skin looked FABULOUS.

Has anyone tired the DHC products on oily acne prone skin? Did it work for you? Tell me all!

I currently use Dr Denese (QVC) and am happy with it. But my inner PJ wants to know if there is something even better!!! LOL!

My priority with my skin is
Non Acnegenic
Balances oil production
Evens out skin tone

Thx
pw: wavehead
3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
HG: CK
Currently BRHG, SIF

Comments

• noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    I have used DHC for 8 years and have been pleased with the products and customer service. If you get on their website you can request a catalog with free samples of their mild soap, oil cleanser (it really works!), and a face lotion. No matter what my skin's shape is in, DHC never irritates or causes me to break out. Definitely give them a try. The prices aren't exactly cheap, but the products last me awhile. They also have a store in San Francisco. Hope this helps!
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    Thanks Noelle,
    Wow 8 years for one line of product is a long time and a testiment to your happiness with it.

My husband had ordered a couple of the Alpha Arbutin products last year(hence, we now get the catalog). But only used 10% of it at most. I ran across it last week and decided to try it myself. Time will tell. But I am interested more in the basic stuff rather than the wrinkle reducers, skin brighteners, free radical removers......gotta start with basic skin care first.

I'm eyeing the deep oil cleanser, face primer, and oily skin wash/toner/moisturizer.

Got any suggestions?
    Currently BRHG, SIF
    Hello Razicelli!
    DHC has changed a bit since their first catalog appeared here in the USA. You are smart to start with the basics (I think those are their best products--it's what their success was built on in Japan). The mild soap, deep cleansing oil, and light lotion or rich moisture lotion would be worth trying. The cleansing oil cleans thoroughly but NEVER strips your skin. Then you can wash with the mild soap, or another cleanser. Mild soap is great! I never get tired of using it, it leaves my skin feeling clean but not irritated, and it's the one cleanser I *always* take with me if I travel.

I am 38 years old, and my skin can't take the harsher acne products. DHC's products don't irritate my skin and don't cause me to break out. I'll use a few drugstore cleansers in the mix, but I always have the mild soap on hand. The Antiox-C lotion and the Gentle Cleansing Foam are also effective at balancing my skin out. These are the ones I would recommend; there's too many new ones that came out later, and they started to confuse me with the variety!

Hope this helps! It's frustrating to spend money on products that don't work, so I know it helps hearing what other people think.
    I broke down and ordered some DHC stuff.

Blemish care set (small)
    Deep Cleansing Oil
    Velvet Coat
    wash puff
    soap container

Will see how it goes. Thanks Noelle!
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DHC's deep cleansing oil worked OK for me, but it leaves a filmy residue. The Mild Soap was awful. It clogged my pores like nothing I've ever used before. It took me a WHILE to unclog after discontinuing it. Bleah, awful stuff.

The Velvet Skin Coat is a GREAT product for use under makeup. It leaves skin looking flawless.

Personally, I suggest using a non-detergent cleanser with a neutral PH. Soaps (in solid form) are generally in the 10-12 PH range...very alkaline--that's just the nature of the soap making process...and they damage the skin barrier and allow acne-causing bacteria to get in (in susceptible people). Detergents also damage the skin barrier and are as damaging to our skin as they are to our hair. Most liquid cleansers contain detergents. Oil cleansers clog pores. What you need is a liquid castille cleanser that has been saponified (meaning the oil that the castille was made from has lost it's oil properties and only the soapy cleansing properties remain) and also has an ingredient to bring down the PH to neutral (like citric acid) so it doesn't damage the skin. Here's one such saponified and PH lowered castille cleanser:

http://www.go2skin.com/product_p/c23.htm

For someone with dryer skin, here's another version that isn't as drying as the one above:

http://www.go2skin.com/Rose_Hip_Seed_Soap_p/c22.htm
    Yikes RedCatWaves,
    Sorry it didn't work for you. My DHC should come in the mail by Monday. I'm both anxious and nervous to try it. We shall see as not everything works for everybody.
    Currently BRHG, SIF
    Got my DHC yesterday. Used it last night and this morning.
    So far so good, but too early to tell.

Deep Cleansing oil.....Wow this stuff really got all my makeup off AND rinsed off soooo easily. I was very surprised by this. I've used OCM (oil cleansing method) and pure OO is hard to rinse off. This alone may be worth continuing IF it doesn't clog my pores.

Pure Soap.....this actually made my skin feel a little dry afterwards. And it was harder to rinse off than DCO. But I managed.

Balancing Lotion....misnomer, it's a Toner. Counteracted the slight dryness I felt with the Pure Soap.

Water Based Moisture......this feels like a toner going on, but when it dried, it felt like a light layer of glycerine on the skin.

I washed my face an 1 1/2 ago and it feels fine. Not over or under moisturized. The key for me is if it will keep my oily skin balanced and not break me out. I'll know about the oil slick in less than a week and the acne in 2-3 weeks. :shock:
    Currently BRHG, SIF
    Hello Razicelli!
    How is DHC working for you? Their latest catalog arrived yesterday, and I realized there are few original products left in their line. I hope they don't take the route of introducing new products then immediately discontinuing them like so many companies do. Drives me crazy!

RedCatWaves' information about soap/cleansers is very useful. Thanks for the link on the cleanser, RedCatWaves! Does Dr. Bronner's liquid soap work as a face cleanser?

For whatever reason, DHC's Mild Soap still works for me (usually in the morning, but sometimes in the evening if I don't have much to wash off). Pure Soap can be drying, so I use it sparingly.
    RedCatWaves' information about soap/cleansers is very useful. Thanks for the link on the cleanser, RedCatWaves! Does Dr. Bronner's liquid soap work as a face cleanser?

No. Dr. Bronner's castille soap hasn't had it's PH lowered, so it's very caustic to the skin.
    Hey Noelle,
    So far so good with DHC. I am liking it BETTER than my Dr. Denese skin care.

I LOVE the Deep Oil Cleanser. I was amazed how this "oil" washed off with water instantly. I use it first at night. Then I follow with Pure Soap. PS is drying but if I follow up with the Balancing Lotion afterwards, I have no problem.

Within 2 days of using DHC, my oily skin was even MORE balanced than with Dr. Denese. And my skin was a little smoother. Now the only question is, will it break me out? So far no, but it's a little too soon to tell. I have to have a minimum of 2 weeks to tell. It's only been 1 1/2 weeks. Me likey lots!
    Currently BRHG, SIF
    I LOVE the Deep Oil Cleanser. I was amazed how this "oil" washed off with water instantly. I use it first at night. Then I follow with Pure Soap. PS is drying but if I follow up with the Balancing Lotion afterwards, I have no problem.

Within 2 days of using DHC, my oily skin was even MORE balanced than with Dr. Denese. And my skin was a little smoother. Now the only question is, will it break me out? So far no, but it's a little too soon to tell. I have to have a minimum of 2 weeks to tell. It's only been 1 1/2 weeks. Me likey lots!

DHC's Deep Oil cleanser has something called Peg-7 in it, which makes oils water soluable. I like the oil cleanser too.

The Pure Soap on the other hand...I found that to be a pore clogger of the highest order. I think it clogged every single pore on my face. It took me MONTHS to clear up. I think the Pure Soap must be full of wax or something.
    OOooo, RedCat, you makin' me skeerd! :shock:

I took what you had said earlier to heart. I make sure I rinse VERY well the Pure Soap. And use my Balancing Lotion to take off anything left over I missed.

Thanks for the info.
    Currently BRHG, SIF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file