what do you do when you don't style your hair after washing?

solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So, let's say you want to shower and wash your hair at night and the only thing you have planned is to go to bed, and you'll re-wet and style in the morning. What do you do after your shower?

It seems that I have to full-on style my hair or suffer the consequences. I am hoping for an in-between, where I don't have to put stylers and gels in my hair before bed and not wake up with a frizzy monster on my head.

Maybe a better way to ask the question is: what do you do if you don't want to style your hair curly, but just want to wash/condition and dry without frizz?

Thanks, wavies!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• arkieokiearkieokie Posts: 79Registered Users
    I use a lot of conditioner and put it in a pineapple (pony on the very top of my head.)

The next morning, it has soft waves. I just spritz, scrunch in some gel and go.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, silly questions: do you put conditioner in as a leave in? A really thick conditioner? Do you brush with a Denman or other brush to distribute and clump? Pineapple wet?

Thanks! I will try this!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I condition my hair upside down, rinse upside down, then put in my gel while my hair is still pretty much sopping wet. I use a microfiber towel to scrunch out some of the water, Then I plop in a microfiber towel for about 15 minutes. Then when it is partially dry I pineapple for the night. In the morning it is nice and wavy and not frizzy, and I don't have to scrunch out crunch.

If I'm lucky, I can get decent 2nd and 3rd day hair just from pineappling. But, sometimes i have to re-wet, put in more gel, and plop for a few minutes in the morning to combat poufiness.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I add a good amount of kbb hair milk. I rinse out the excess in the morning and then style.
  • bambierbambier Posts: 9Registered Users
    I actually always take my bath/shower at night and do my hair in the morning. I just plop overnight, when I get up in the morning my hair is always still damp enough that I can then style it and get it to lay the way that I want.
    CG Since July 20, 2009
    Co-Wash: Suave Coconut, Salon Care Honey/Almond

Co: Giovanni DT, Yes 2 Cucumbers, GVP CB
    Styling
    : KY, HETT Mousse, LA Looks, HESMU Spray Gel, Overnight Plopping
    Occasional: ACV Rinse

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    solidgold wrote: »
    So, let's say you want to shower and wash your hair at night and the only thing you have planned is to go to bed, and you'll re-wet and style in the morning. What do you do after your shower?

It seems that I have to full-on style my hair or suffer the consequences. I am hoping for an in-between, where I don't have to put stylers and gels in my hair before bed and not wake up with a frizzy monster on my head.

Maybe a better way to ask the question is: what do you do if you don't want to style your hair curly, but just want to wash/condition and dry without frizz?

Thanks, wavies!

No. I can't wash and leave it and go to bed and wake up with anything approximating any sort of style.

If I know I cannot be bothered to gel and scrunch and plop after washing at night, I Do Not Wash My Hair. It recovers much better in the morning if it has not been wet at all; and if not, it still makes a very nice ponytail usually.

I sometimes go five days without washing, it stays reasonably nice.

So yes, it's all-or-nothing for me. But all (gel and overnight plop) is not too time consuming anyway, and nothing works pretty well too.

If you are going to re-wet and style in the morning, why are you washing at night?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I avoid the mirror like poison and start over in the morning, usually with just a good wetting (to begin).
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A couple nights a week I work out really hard in the evening, and a shower and hair wash is necessary, but the styling is not. It would be nice to try to get good hair with minimal effort (just leave in conditioner and plop, maybe) and not have to start over in the morning.

I have yet to try some of the recommendations--too many mornings require styling!
    solidgold wrote: »

Thanks, wavies!

No. I can't wash and leave it and go to bed and wake up with anything approximating any sort of style.

If I know I cannot be bothered to gel and scrunch and plop after washing at night, I Do Not Wash My Hair. It recovers much better in the morning if it has not been wet at all; and if not, it still makes a very nice ponytail usually.

I sometimes go five days without washing, it stays reasonably nice.

So yes, it's all-or-nothing for me. But all (gel and overnight plop) is not too time consuming anyway, and nothing works pretty well too.

If you are going to re-wet and style in the morning, why are you washing at night?
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK that makes more sense. Yeah, even if I am tired I gel and overnight plop if the hair has to be washed. It saves time in the morning. I really don't do much at all to the hair in the morning.

You could try just mixing a little gel (or something with hold) into the leave-in, and do overnight plop, it might look great in the morning.

I had a friend who could just twist her wet hair in chunks, let it go, go to sleep on the wet hair, loose not wrapped, and wake up with bouncy lovely curls. But I think this is rare.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • LadyBeeLadyBee Posts: 42Registered Users
    I just started doing the overnight plop (which my hubby thinks is insane). It works wonders for me, as a pineapple is not my friend. I wake up with tangles and frizz if I pineapple, and just have to start over anyway.
    The overnight plop I get great curls, hit with a diffuser for a couple minutes to freshen 'em up, and it lasts pretty much all day. Plus, the gel I put in the night before isn't all crunchy.
    Wavy/2B - Protein sensitive...(I think) - almost 2c!
    Attempting CG as of 8/09
    Co-wash - VO5 Cucumber/Kiwi, GTTT
    Condish - Mop Mixed Greens
    Stylers - JCRR, CCSS, BRHG
    Trying to figure out - CJ CCCC, AG: Recoil, FSG, and KCCC.
    Want to try - KBB

event.png
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    I can get away with misting my hair with water and doing a light scrunch in the morning but time is always an issue. If it looks good then I wear it down, otherwise I "messy bun" it or use my chopsticks for an up-do.
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • kc02917kc02917 Posts: 42Registered Users
    Honestly...I dont do anything! I might put in some leave-in and then I go to bed. Chances are, even IF I styled Ide have to rinse and restyle in the am anyway (2nd day hair doesnt happen too often round here!). Ide rather rinse and style in the morning. Occaisionally when I want to change it up a bit, Ill put in some cone free straightening product, let it air dry 50-75% then go to bed. In the morning ill run a flat iron through it and wear it straight for the next 2 days.
    Kelly~A hairdresser embracing her inner curl:love1:
    CG since July 2009 and LOVIN IT!
    2b wavy/modified CG. No cones no sulfates.
    Lowpoo: BTB Blue Lavendar 1x/wk
    Cowash: Suave Nats Aloe & Waterlily
    Rinse-out: LPVNG/BTB Jasmine Curl CO
    Leave-in: Sexy Pumpkin Potion
    Style: Biolage Gelee, plop then SOTC w/cone free pommade
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    when my hair was long, i pretty much did full styling and over night plopped. the next morning, my hair was still slightly damped. if i had fly aways, i might use a teenie bit of BRHG to pat it down. by the time i got to work, its fully dried and looked great! i always styled at night! over night plopping really worked for me. my hair is too short for over night plopping. it would just shrink and look like hat hair if i did that now. and pineappling never worked on my hair.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    A braid or a bun. That's all I can do. Especially if I don't want to deal w/my hair for 2-3 days.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • CaseywantsCurlsCaseywantsCurls Posts: 40Registered Users
    I have issues with this as well. Last night I tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for the first time! I co-washed, rinsed LVPNG, added a little more LVPNG for some leave-in, put in a little KCKT and I am thinking too little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. Plopped over-night (well, tried). It fell out at some point and I woke up with a tangled, mildly wavy mess.

To do some damage control I wet my hair, put in more [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and diffused for 10-15. Left with wet hair for work, and it is a MESS. I can't keep leaving with wet hair in the morning because winter is coming, but I don't know what to do at night.
    CG since 8.1.09

Hair stats: 2b/c Thick, medium texture, highly porous.

Co-washing: Suave Naturals Coconut
    CO: LVPNG, Giovanni 50:50
    Leave-in: Giovanni Leave-In Spray (looking for a new one)
    Styling: Bioterra Styling Gel, Bioterra Curl Cream
    Just started: KCKT, KCCC, clipping, and pixie diffusing...so far, so good!

Want/plan to try: ACV rinse, making FSG, making a DT

Still perfecting a routine, all suggestions appreciated. :headbang:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file