UK CG friendly product list

tasertaser Registered Users Posts: 6
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the whole CG thing, I've been lurking for about 1 month now. I've been trying various things out. I'm a guy so I don't know if anything I'm doing should be different to you ladies, just thought I'd mention that anyway.

My general routine is to use Original Source Mint and Teatree to scalp wash, and then to full hair wash. I only give my hair a quick rinse after the full hair wash, this is to leave a bit of conditioner in. I'm going to buy the pink boots stuff tomorrow.

I've had a go at trying to define my porosity and hair type but I really have no idea, and everything seems to differ from day to day. The only thing I can say for definite is that my hair is pretty thick and my curls get more frizzy (and make my hair look all round bigger) as the day goes on. Also my curls are less defined and tend too clump together, which I don't particularly like. I've got middle of the ear length hair right now, and I'm going to end up growing that longer. I haven't used a shampoo wash before conditioner washing, so I just switch to a full Conditioner wash straight away.

Anyhoo, the question is, I'm looking for some more CG friendly products from the UK to try out, Internet bought or shop bought, and I don't care about the price.

it'd be great if you guys could help me out by mentioning products I could try for each of the main categories. Which I think are

Once off Shampoo wash:
Conditioner Wash: Original Source Mint and TeaTree
Leave - In Conditioner:
Cream / Gel: Boots Pink stuff

I'm mainly looking for stuff that wont give my hair that crunchy hard look, and will just look soft. Once I get some decent before after Pictures I'll upload them for you all to see :)

Comments

• EfuruEfuru Registered Users Posts: 169
    Hi taser!
    I know the whole CG thing can be quite daunting! :)

For CG products try Ironsun Organics, they are new but a lot of people recommend them.

p.s. Check out British Curlies (especially the forum) ;)
    CoilyCurlyWavyKinks in the UK!:headbang:
    Hair type
    : High density/low porosity/fine-coarse/medium strands
    Current aim: Growing out henna

event.png
  • chenajchenaj Registered Users Posts: 352
    Hi Taser!

I second Efuru's recommendation to check out Ironsun Organics. They have a men's section and i recently bought my husband the Head to Toe for men. He loved it (and i loved it even more, it smells amazing!). He has short hair and it really defined his waves well, so dont know how it would work on your length. Why don't you write to Ironsun and ask them what they recommend? Others in this forum have written to them and have been happy with the response.They might have something thats not in the men's range that can work for you too.

Happy hunting!
    hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285
  • tasertaser Registered Users Posts: 6
    Hmm, I'm going to give ironsunorganics.co.uk a try :)

Might try the head to toe range, seems pretty cool, kinda expensive, but I guess its worth it for awesome curls.

I've just bought the boots pink curl and Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo (no cones I think it's good for my first clense before just doing Co-Washes)

I'm also thinking about buying these, has anyone used these before?
    Natural Curls Leave-in Moisture Cream and Conditioner
    and
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner

They both sound pretty awesome, I'm actually excited to get my first package. Thats maybe a bit weird :P

BTW I love the smell of OS Mint and TeaTree, it's a shame it only stays with me for a couple of hours :P I've noticed that it makes my hair feel 'slightly' better, but it still looks pretty straw like. I've got a feeling this might be the fact that its not locking in enough moisture, maybe this is a side effect of not doing my initial 'no cone' shampoo, is this likely to be the case?
    Hi Taser,
    Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose (aka AOHSR) is a CG staple! I would venture to say that most people in the forum, if not all either use it now, or have used it at one point.

It is awsome for curly hair - i recently kinda "broke up" with AOHSR; left it for Aubrey Organics Island Naturals (aka AOIN), but to be honest, i think i'm going to go back to it and use them both in rotation casue i have lots of diffrent textures in my hair and its good to rotate condishs anyway.

I use Natural Curls leave in - i use it a lot! LOL. I'm already on my second 200ml jar this month!!!
    A few others in the forum use it too. I love it, :love5:always get lots of compliments when i use it - which is every day! Makes my curls very happy indeed! I use pink boots in combo with natural curls sometimes when i want a bit more hold.

Can't really comment on the other stuff casue i've never used it and i dont know much about cones, except to avoid them, but i am an ingredient junkie! The straw like feel your getting may be caused by the potential synthetic ingredients in your OS mint tea tree. What are the ingredients on the label?

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Registered Users Posts: 860
    Hi - The Louise Galvin natural locks conditioner is pretty good too - you can get it at Tesco (look out for it being on special offer as its a good saving then). icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I assumed the strange feel / look of my hair was due to the fact the cones hadn't been removed. I'm going to give my hair a good old scrub tomorrow morning since my Sulfate Cone free shampoo arrived today :D Also, going to try out the Boots Pink creme, could anyone describe the application process to me? I've read that you rub your hands together then rake it through your hair, but I've no idea what rake it through your hair means :S

I'll probably keep with this set up for a little while and see how it works for me, though I'm pretty tempted to just buy all the different products everyone has mentioned :P

The only thing that's missing from my lineup atm is a leave-in. Do you leave a leave in, in until you next wash your hair or is it a 'leave in for 10 minutes' thing?

The ingredients on the OS Mint And Tea Tree are:
    Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Mentha Arvensis (Mint) Leaf Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) oil, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-39, Citric Acid, Hydroxythenylcellulose, Panthenol, Benzophenone-1, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, propylparaben, Limonene, Linalool, CI19140, CI 42090
    Leave in means leave it in (don't rinse out). For the boots pink start with a little rub it between your hands and then rake through (like you were combing your hair with your fingers - spread your fingers apart and keep them straight) I usually do it with my head down wards as I find it easiest that way. I also usually apply the boots to soaking hair (in the shower) and then use a microfibre towel if you have one to sqeeze the drips out. If you dont have a mf towel use a tee shirt - best not to use a normal towel or rub your hair as that can cause frizziness. You will find your own routine don't worry. Then arrange your hair how you want it to sit. Either air dry or I diffuse as I don't have time to wait in the mornings. Once your hair is dry you can add a little more boots if you need (small amount tho - you will find if you use too much it makes your hair a bit greasy looking) and just gently scrunch into where your hair needs it. If you are using a gel on top of the boots you prob wouldn't need to do this.... sorry for rambling on, but hope this helps!
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

taser wrote: »
    I assumed the strange feel / look of my hair was due to the fact the cones hadn't been removed. I'm going to give my hair a good old scrub tomorrow morning since my Sulfate Cone free shampoo arrived today :D Also, going to try out the Boots Pink creme, could anyone describe the application process to me? I've read that you rub your hands together then rake it through your hair, but I've no idea what rake it through your hair means :S

I'll probably keep with this set up for a little while and see how it works for me, though I'm pretty tempted to just buy all the different products everyone has mentioned :P

The only thing that's missing from my lineup atm is a leave-in. Do you leave a leave in, in until you next wash your hair or is it a 'leave in for 10 minutes' thing?

The ingredients on the OS Mint And Tea Tree are:
    Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Mentha Arvensis (Mint) Leaf Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) oil, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-39, Citric Acid, Hydroxythenylcellulose, Panthenol, Benzophenone-1, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, propylparaben, Limonene, Linalool, CI19140, CI 42090

Hi Taser,
    What shampoo did you get?

Re the ingredients - "Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, propylparaben" this combination of synthetic presrevatives can contribute to the crunchy feeling you got. As i said i don't know enough about cones to comment, but most of the ingredients you have listed have a moisturising effect when combined. It's usually the presrvative systems in these kinds of products that casue the problems.

wash - any baby shampoo

Leave in means leave it in (don't rinse out). For the boots pink start with a little rub it between your hands and then rake through (like you were combing your hair with your fingers - spread your fingers apart and keep them straight) I usually do it with my head down wards.

I gave this a shot today :) I had a particularly strange hair day though, maybe it's the start of something amazing :P

As I left for work I had some pretty defined, shiny, thin curls. (Maybe a bit more towards the greasy looking side rather than naturally shiny :( maybe this was too much Curl Creme?) but overall it was quite nice, since I never have much curl definition. However by the end of the day my curly sections had become thicker and less defined :(
    chenaj wrote: »
    What shampoo did you get?

It's the Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo, no cones, I'd read elsewhere it was good for your 'starting cg' shampoo

Maybe my hair'll get used to this new process, I'll probably give it 2-4 weeks then change products :)

I definitely feel quite weird with my hair on my head, its quite strange in that it doesn't really fall into any specific area, and when it looks bad, it looks really bad (This might be because I'm growing it out though, atm most of the hairs on my head are the same length. From the sides too the top too the back) Give it six months and I'm hoping it'll be just above shoulder length. (It's ear length at the moment)

Things can only get better though, eh ? ;)
    You maybe need a gel over the boots curl creme - you could start with the boots gel (purple one) it's cheap and a good practise one. It should give you a bit of hold and maybe keep your curls in longer.
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

Ah ok (re shampoo). Never tried that one. Yes, Pink boots can give you a greasy look. Try using less and mixing it with another styling product like the gel as curlyhairmich has suggested. Sometimes you have to use layers of products to get the look you want.

Pink Boots tends to dry my hair out so, when i am going to use it, i use some Natrual Curls leave in cream first (or any other moisturiser) then put Pink boots on top. I have found that doing this helps Pink Boots work better.

wash - any baby shampoo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file