SO exhausted

RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
Here lately, I've been so incredibly exhausted, all the time. I could fall asleep sitting up at just about any given point. It doesn't matter how much I sleep, or how well I sleep. I thought the first trimester was supposed to be the most tiring time as far as just sheer exhaustion?! I'll be 26 weeks pregnant tomorrow.

I just had my iron levels checked two days ago; they were normal. I really hoped I was anemic, so there was some hope for feeling better :lol:. I'd rather hear, "You're anemic, here's some iron supplements" than "You're just fine, guess this is how you're going to feel for the next 14 weeks, bahahahaha!!!" Not that anyone evilly cackled about it, but that's how I feel.

I (attempt to) get enough sleep, but I'm a night person and I have a really hard time falling and staying asleep these days due to leg cramps and many trips to pee. I'm just so. freaking. exhausted. My eyes are fluttery feeling right now, as a matter of fact, and I think I'm going to have to go take a nap in order to get anything else done this evening. I think part of the issue is work... we're shorthanded right now, and it's stressful and exhausting. I work 8-5 and spend most every Saturday driving an hour to see family, and Sundays cleaning, so it feels like I get hardly any real downtime a lot of weeks.

Or maybe I'm not eating often enough. I think I am though. I know I'm supposed to, but working all day does tend to make it difficult. That's the only place I can think of to improve upon. If someone wants to offer some suggestions though, I'm all for it. Here's what I've eaten today:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breakfast (7:30 am)
Coffee with milk
2 pieces of whole wheat toast with 2 tablespoons peanut butter
Small banana

Snack (10:30 am)
Low cal trail mix bar with fruit and nuts

Lunch (1 pm)
2/3 can of tuna with a tablespoon or so of miracle whip and chopped pickle on 2 pieces of whole wheat bread
A small bag of baked chips
Small box of raisins
Small banana

Snack (4:00 pm)
100 calorie mini bag of popcorn

Snack (5:30 pm)
100 calorie pack of cookies - sweet craving :)

Dinner will be within the next hour or so - it's 6 here now. I'm going to eat some lean roast, green beans, and much, much less mashed potatoes than I really want to eat, lol. If I get hungry again tonight, I'll eat an apple or a piece of cheese or something. But I'm hoping to get in bed early and that I won't end up hungry again. Between the hunger and the peeing, I feel like my entire day is consumed eating or on the toilet. :P

I guess this is just a rant. I miss feeling good like I did a few weeks ago.
DPTFm5.png

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    ((hugs))

I think that's just the way it goes for most pregnant women - exhausted first trimester, feeling energetic second trimester and then exhaustion again in the third trimester.

Eat what you feel like eating - no more, no less. Don't restrict yourself unless you've been specifically directed to. And take it easy. Your body is working hard so if you need to rest - rest!

Now go take a nap!
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    This is pop quiz before the final exam... the lack of sleep and exhaustion is prepping you for once the baby arrives :) I say this in jest (mostly) but I think a part of it is true.

If you can, cut out the long drives on Saturday and clean at the minimum on Sunday, those things once considered very important, become things that can rest on the back burner. If you need to sleep, do it, nap.

Do you walk or get any type of low key exercise?
    2b/3a.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Before I got pregnant, I found that B6 helped me with my sleep. I stopped it when I first found out I was pregnant and it was often. My doctor cleared me to start it back up (50mg in the morning) and I was back on track for a while. Now I take something prescription to help me sleep. I was having anxiety issues and he prescribed something for that. Just taking it at bedtime is good enough. I can give you the name if interested.

I had a period about 4 weeks or so ago where I was painfully tired too. I assumed baby boy was going through a growth spurt because it passed.

Your meals sound like enough. What gives me pause is you mention being hungry. If you are hungry, you aren't eating enough. If you are lucky (or unlucky), you will end up like me in a few weeks and the hunger is gone because the space is gone.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • LL~2009LL~2009 Posts: 146Registered Users
    Drink lots of water
    Eat more
    Get more down time if you can
    ~essentially, listen to your body
    Oh, and deep breathing---- are you getting any exercise?
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I think your snacks could be more nutritious - more protein perhaps. Some exercise would also help. And maybe you should cut out driving every Saturday and rest more - can your family come to you? A day off would probably help.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for reading my rant and giving some advice.

Curly in Colorado, I guess that could be true. Hehe. I'm sure the only thing that will be more exhausting than what I'm dealing with now, is the stage after I have her. I'm trying to cut back on the cleaning, but I struggle with it a lot because I'm a total neat freak... something else I'm going to have to learn to get over a bit, right? :P

As far as the drives on Saturday goes, it would be hard for my Mom to pack up my niece and nephew and bring them up here, and they're the main reason I go. Their Mom died of a drug overdose a few months ago, and my brother, their father, isn't, um, always the most active father, so I try to spend as much time as possible. I've had to skip some weeks lately, but it is the only time I get to see them at all, so I don't want to totally cut it out, but cutting back on the trips is an option. In fact, no one lives here but me. I moved here during my separation two years ago and I have absolutely no one here except coworkers, so, sometimes I enjoy going down to see everyone.

DarkAngel, I wonder if you're onto something with the growth spurt idea. I've also been hungrier, basically like a bottomless pit, and I told my BF I feel like a teenage boy must feel, lol. So maybe she's just growing an insane amount right now and it will pass. One can hope. I may have to ask my OB about B6. Thanks for the recommendation.

LL - Eating more? It seems like I'm eating enough, but as DA mentioned, I am often hungry. I have already gained more than I should the entire pregnancy, so I've been trying to be sure I don't overeat. I don't know how it's working because I won't get on the scale now. I have no desire to check my weight because i know my BP and sugar are fine, and I feel okay, so I'm not worrying about the number on the scale.

Amneris, you're right about my snacks. They should include some protein. I try to use snacks just to hold me over til meals, and so I lean toward carbs. I should probably start viewing them more as mini-meals and making them more balanced. My blood sugar tends to dip and fluctuate, so that would help with that too.

As far as everyone who asked about exercise, I WAS exercising on an elliptical at a slow pace and doing a lot of stretches. I am still doing the stretches, but I have been slacking on the elliptical for a couple weeks now due to 1) the exhaustion and 2) tendonitis in my foot. I saw the podiatrist and should be able to start back up on that though. I know it may help, although it always seems crazy that exercising, while exhausted, will make one less exhausted.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help.
    DPTFm5.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Totally normal for that stage...I was the same way with both DS and DD, I would have to nap everyday or else I would not make it until 10pm when DH got home from work, even if it was an hour from 7-8 pm
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Rheanna wrote: »

Curly in Colorado, I guess that could be true. Hehe. I'm sure the only thing that will be more exhausting than what I'm dealing with now, is the stage after I have her. I'm trying to cut back on the cleaning, but I struggle with it a lot because I'm a total neat freak... something else I'm going to have to learn to get over a bit, right? :P

As far as the drives on Saturday goes, it would be hard for my Mom to pack up my niece and nephew and bring them up here, and they're the main reason I go. Their Mom died of a drug overdose a few months ago, and my brother, their father, isn't, um, always the most active father, so I try to spend as much time as possible. I've had to skip some weeks lately, but it is the only time I get to see them at all, so I don't want to totally cut it out, but cutting back on the trips is an option. In fact, no one lives here but me. I moved here during my separation two years ago and I have absolutely no one here except coworkers, so, sometimes I enjoy going down to see everyone.

DarkAngel, I wonder if you're onto something with the growth spurt idea. I've also been hungrier, basically like a bottomless pit, and I told my BF I feel like a teenage boy must feel, lol. So maybe she's just growing an insane amount right now and it will pass. One can hope. I may have to ask my OB about B6. Thanks for the recommendation.

LL - Eating more? It seems like I'm eating enough, but as DA mentioned, I am often hungry. I have already gained more than I should the entire pregnancy, so I've been trying to be sure I don't overeat. I don't know how it's working because I won't get on the scale now. I have no desire to check my weight because i know my BP and sugar are fine, and I feel okay, so I'm not worrying about the number on the scale.

Amneris, you're right about my snacks. They should include some protein. I try to use snacks just to hold me over til meals, and so I lean toward carbs. I should probably start viewing them more as mini-meals and making them more balanced. My blood sugar tends to dip and fluctuate, so that would help with that too.

As far as everyone who asked about exercise, I WAS exercising on an elliptical at a slow pace and doing a lot of stretches. I am still doing the stretches, but I have been slacking on the elliptical for a couple weeks now due to 1) the exhaustion and 2) tendonitis in my foot. I saw the podiatrist and should be able to start back up on that though. I know it may help, although it always seems crazy that exercising, while exhausted, will make one less exhausted.

I understand the importance of the bolded, BUT once you have your daughter, it's also going to be hard for YOU to pack her up and travel, especially if she is nursing often and you're even more tired, so either the trips will be cut back or they will have to come to you sometimes, so you might as well start getting everyone used to it now.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    Rheanna wrote: »

I understand the importance of the bolded, BUT once you have your daughter, it's also going to be hard for YOU to pack her up and travel, especially if she is nursing often and you're even more tired, so either the trips will be cut back or they will have to come to you sometimes, so you might as well start getting everyone used to it now.

You're right. SO said the same thing to me last night when we discussed it. The way he put it was, "You're going to have to start thinking and worrying about yourself sometimes" and then elaborated by bringing up that after she's born, I won't be able to take her down every week, and it wouldn't be fair for me to have to do that.

You both are right. It's hard to think about because I've gotten really close to J & G (nephew & niece) the past couple years and frequently they call me and tell me they miss me, etc. I know they'll adjust to seeing me less, and that it's going to have to happen. It's still hard for me to imagine loving someone more (that sounds awful, but...) than I love them. I really didn't think I would have kids, and would have fought for guardianship if the situation didn't end up the way it did, so they were as close to my children as I figured I would ever know. I hope that makes sense.
    DPTFm5.png
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I think it's great that you have such a wonderful relationship with your niece and nephew and that they have a positive (young) adult role model, since their parents weren't/aren't the best. I do agree that you should make more time for yourself now to fight off exhaustion, but an hour drive won't be THAT bad with a newborn, especially if you can time it when she's sleepy. Can you work something out with your mom to maybe alternate weeks? I'm sure it's difficult for her to travel with the kids but as I said, an hour isn't that bad and if she knows how important you are to them I'm sure she won't mind making the effort.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm just going to chime in here and reassure you that being tired all the time when you are pregnant during any trimester can be normal. I was ALWAYS tired! It didn't help that I worked 12 hour nights 3 days a week but even after getting adequate hours of sleep each day, I was still extremely exhausted. I would sleep 10 hours a night, nap a couple of times a day not including falling asleep on the couch watching tv with hubby when he got home from work. I was active during my pregnancy and ate well but nothing seemed to fix my tiredness. Well, having the baby and getting her to sleep well through the night helped a lot! :laughing4:
    316vq4y.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file