First Doll

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I want to buy Addison her first doll for her first birthday. I want it to be lovable, have hair for her to pull it around by and I want it's eyes to open and shut etc.

Where did you find your kiddo's first doll from ? Retailer? Boutique? Online store?

Just trying to get ideas of where to look. I really want to be in a store so I can touch and feel the doll but if I get really good recommendations I don't mind buying online.

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The eyes dont open and close but cabbage patch dolls are great. With all the clothing and accessory options and dolls that look different you could get one that looked like her and tons of stuff to go with it. I loved mine and my daughter loved hers.

Also the American Girl collection has dolls that are for 3+ years now. I had one growing up and they are extremely durable. Expensive and maybe too old for your one year old but something to think about.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    majerle's first doll was a newborn cabbage patch doll from target. she loved it the day day we bought it and she still loves it. cabbage patch dolls are very durable and resilient but since she loves the doll so much it looks like hell. the arm has a mysterious burn mark, there are stains that i cant manage to clean off, the clothes are God knows where, and she wants the dolls nails painted on a daily basis.

if you want to get your little one a special doll as a keepsake then id recommend not letting her play with it or not spending too much money on something that might get ruined (but will still be well loved).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you really want her to play with it, let her pick it out. Dolls are such a personal thing, and what appeals to adults might scare a little girl. My daughter hated all the trendy cool dolls...they scared her. She'd put them in the bottom of the toybox and cover them with blankets, because their eyes scared her. We quickly figured out that she only liked Barbie-type dolls, probably because they weren't so lifelike. Cloth dolls were loved too. But dolls that looked real? Hell no. She saved me a bunch of money by being afraid of American Girl dolls.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nope, I want one that is going to be well loved not a keep sake. My first doll was very loved. That's a good idea RCW is to let her pick it out. Do you think she can do that at age 1?

I can't believe I forgot about Cabbage Patch Kids. I have all of mine in my hopechest. LOL....some of them are very loved.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you think she can do that at age 1?

Sure...take her to the store and give her a choice of a couple dolls, and she if she bonds with any of them. You can at least get an idea of the "type" of doll she prefers.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you think she can do that at age 1?

Sure...take her to the store and give her a choice of a couple dolls, and she if she bonds with any of them. You can at least get an idea of the "type" of doll she prefers.
    RCW is right. My daughter loved the dolls she picked out much more than the ones I just brought home.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    My daughter has a Baby Stella that she likes. You can pick out hair color and Stella is a soft, squeezable doll.

I agree with the pp though. DD's favorite doll is a hard plastic one that cries and sucks a bottle. She sleeps with it every night and hauls it around with her. It was the one she picked out.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bellas favorite doll was one she got last year. It moved around and gurlged baby sounds and said 'mama'.

Somewhere there was some mess about how people were protesting the doll because it said "I Love Islam". Ridiculous. This baby said goo goo, gaa gaa, mmmmm gigigi, mama. Nevertheless we still called her Baby Islam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got Lydia a bathtime baby at Biglots that is hard plastic and no hair. I like it b/c she can take in the pool or the bath or the mud, and it's small enough for her to easily play with right now. My only regret is that it's hard to find clothes for. Right now it's wearing one of her old leg warmers. :p

I definitely agree with letting her help you pick it out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file