Tell me about Pre-school!

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
We are enrolling R in a church pre-school. It is 2 days a week. His cousin is in his class & my friend's mom is the teacher. Everyone I talk to loves the school. He is 2 and has never been to anything like thsi before:daycare, school, etc. He is a very sweet boy and I'm really worried the other kids are going to be mean to him or somthing... I know it's silly and he will probably take up for himself, but I still hate to think of him having a hard time at school.

On top of that- he will be missing the Open House orientation a few days before school starts and the first 2 sessions of school. (We are going on a vacation that has been planned for literally YEARS). Do you think he will adjust well? he likes strangers and his very friendly... i'm just not sure he will "know how" to DO school. Like, do they really expect him to sit still in a chair the whole time? Because the only time he sits still EVER is if I'm reading to him or he's in time out! I'm at least glad my nephew is in the class with him. He went there last year and knows "the ropes". Any tips for making pre-school go smoothly?

Oh & I can't wait to get him a cute little lunchbox!!:)
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Preschool is fun!

Karan goes to a Montessori which is on the more structured side, but even then, the morning consists of 30 minutes of circle time, 60 minutes of more organized activities or "work", and 30 minutes of snack and playground time.

I was worried about my baby too, because he's the youngest in his class, started before he turned 3 because of his late in the year birthday, and the class is 3-5 year olds. But the kids have been great and so have the teachers.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    J is starting at Catholic pre-school in a couple of weeks! I'm excited!

The school gave me a lot of information about their schedule, curriculum, what they want you to do at home, etc. etc. You should be able to get that from yours. Some are more structured than others, but ours has lots of free time and the activities are not necessarily sitting down and listening - there is some of that but there are also active things. J went to daycare last year and is very sociable so I'm not worried there, but I noticed in his daycare even the quietest, shyest kids fit in fine and in fact the other kids were really helpful and sweet to them. I think at 2 and 3 they're too little to pick on people or notice differences. They accept everyone. Knowing another kid will help a lot, too. I plan to drop in unannounced a few times to make sure all is well - I recommend that.

J has two backpacks to take his lunch in - a dragon one and a Vancouver Olympics one. And tons of nice new fall clothes he got for his birthday. :p

Have fun!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Danae starts pre-school next week. She's going 3 days a week for 4 hrs. a day. I can almost guarantee that she'll be disappointed that she can't go every day (the school she's attending doesn't have a 5-day program for age 3). She's all set w/ her Disney princess backpack and lunchbox (she's been toting them around the house all week). I'm excited for her. I think she'll love it. She already is starting to sight-read and stuff so I'm not concerned about her academics, but I think the social aspect will be wonderful for her.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shellibean wrote: »
    We are enrolling R in a church pre-school. It is 2 days a week. His cousin is in his class & my friend's mom is the teacher. Everyone I talk to loves the school. He is 2 and has never been to anything like thsi before:daycare, school, etc. He is a very sweet boy and I'm really worried the other kids are going to be mean to him or somthing... I know it's silly and he will probably take up for himself, but I still hate to think of him having a hard time at school.

On top of that- he will be missing the Open House orientation a few days before school starts and the first 2 sessions of school. (We are going on a vacation that has been planned for literally YEARS). Do you think he will adjust well? he likes strangers and his very friendly... i'm just not sure he will "know how" to DO school. Like, do they really expect him to sit still in a chair the whole time? Because the only time he sits still EVER is if I'm reading to him or he's in time out! I'm at least glad my nephew is in the class with him. He went there last year and knows "the ropes". Any tips for making pre-school go smoothly?

Oh & I can't wait to get him a cute little lunchbox!!:)

That was my biggest worry when my VERY active little guy started preschool last year. Plus he had never participated in any type of "structured" activities.
    I actually talked to his teacher about my concerns and she made a great point when she said that preschool is more about "learning how to learn".
    They're there to learn how to sit still and listen, share and work together and to learn to follow a routine. They certainly learn those things at home too but preschool kind of "refines" those skills.

I worried for nothing because he loved it and adjusted very well.
    He's so excited to start the 4 year old class in a couple of weeks. :toothy4:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with all of the above. He will probably love it! Harry isn't doing pre-school this year, but he's doing a 90 minute drop-off play group at Early Intervention once a week. Last week was the first time he went. DH stayed in the room (at their request) but he did fine. They want DH to stay next time too and then retreat to the parent's room the third time. He may not even need that. He was crying the morning of group b/c I was leaving for work, so I went along to group (my job is flexible) and he forgot all about me as soon as he saw the classroom. :sad5:
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file