Is my hair CG or not CG?

Waves84Waves84 Posts: 64Registered Users
I'm a shampoo & condish rinse it all out girl always have been - I don't own a hair dryer, i don't brush my hair because it ruins the wave (i figured out the brush was my source of very bad hair days all my life), probably only straighten hair three or four times a year max (it doesn't last for long, it feels flat, lifeless, and it frizzies up no matter what), as for hair gel i can't remember when i last used it - i gave up on my stylist (and his wet hair cuts) and his Trico(sp?) treatments; been stuck on a cheap salon 12$ trim fix for about a year - they just mist it with water or will dry cut if i ask - i don't trust anyone with scissors to go more than an inch two inch if you can prove i need it & convince me - i love my bsl waves but, if i could get more curl out i'd be happy - I think I've been CG or at least a modified CG for a while now - I use Alterna Caviar sham/condish maybe twice a month; which according to the box is CG; I've been playing around with L'oreal's ever pure line since it came out; i alternate that sometimes with VS's shamo/codish b/c i love the smell & feel - i've recently falled majorly in love with the cotton tee shirt trick i picked up from here or in the CG book and my hair loves it - it completely speed drys my hair - plus i think it's more curly - i gave up the microfiber towel maybe three weeks ago - I work outside and my hair has to be tied back or up - I wash it maybe once or twice a week; basically whenever my scalp gets greasy/oily? - it's in some form of braided, ponytail, or bun 5 days a week - i do worry about the stress i'm putting on it - i've been trying to go CG not sure if i'm failing or not even doing it at all - the switching from towel to microfiber finally to tee shirt has given me great results - as for frizz i guess it's not that bad or i've just come to peace with it but when i notice it i take a bit of frizz ease extra strength to tackle it - the probably i've always had with my hair is that there are no waves/curls at the top; maybe it's the weight of length pulling it down; but the wave starts at my ears; maybe this is from being pulled back; read about clips and gels - is there an easier lazier way?? - i'm the throw it up and off my neck mess with it when i need to kinda girl - it's not thick nor thin, it can pouf when it wants, but, i kinda like the extra volume to toss around; as for hair dye it's only for this crazy patch of gray & its the touch up kit - it was found in 08' and was dyed the next day - i'm 25 and i'm going to fight it - last time i dyed it was back in 05' and it took a long time to get it back to normal medium brown - it also wrecked hell on my hair left it flat, stringly, drab etc - i'm at peace with my hair color; the cost of monthly trico and deep codish treatments to get it back to normal was enough to deter me - i don't really have bad hair days unless when it's greasy/oily & have to bun it till i can get to a shower; i'm looking for suggestions on how i can be more CG (if i'm not) with the products I already have - it would be a nice change to see if i could get more curl on the top - i've read the book but some parts seem to contrict the website - am i really suppose to use paper towels? not sure on how to clip up the top layer - what about the top of my head is it going to look/feel the same about the only condish part? - i've always shampooed the entire head rinsed it out and then conditioned the entired head (when i can remember i try to put more on the ends) and then rinsed it all out - so is the techinque(sp?) or the products that make it CG?? - lots of advice is welcome and thanks for reading my hair story
2B - Just below BSL
CG as of 7/11

Low Poo - GioSAS, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Shampoo
Co-wash- Suave Coconut
Rinse out - GioSAS codish, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Codish, Alterna Caviar Codish
Currently auditioning the following products - BRHG, Ecostyler Argan Oil, SMSmoothie, Dep Sport Gel, LaBellaLotsofCurls, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Mask, LI & Potion, LOOB, Aussie Sydney Smooth....Just want frizz free waves w/ some curls...

Comments

• NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    Waves84 wrote: »
    I'm a shampoo & condish rinse it all out girl always have been - I don't own a hair dryer, i don't brush my hair because it ruins the wave (i figured out the brush was my source of very bad hair days all my life), probably only straighten hair three or four times a year max (it doesn't last for long, it feels flat, lifeless, and it frizzies up no matter what), as for hair gel i can't remember when i last used it - i gave up on my stylist (and his wet hair cuts) and his Trico(sp?) treatments; been stuck on a cheap salon 12$ trim fix for about a year - they just mist it with water or will dry cut if i ask - i don't trust anyone with scissors to go more than an inch two inch if you can prove i need it & convince me - i love my bsl waves but, if i could get more curl out i'd be happy - I think I've been CG or at least a modified CG for a while now - I use Alterna Caviar sham/condish maybe twice a month; which according to the box is CG; I've been playing around with L'oreal's ever pure line since it came out; i alternate that sometimes with VS's shamo/codish b/c i love the smell & feel - i've recently falled majorly in love with the cotton tee shirt trick i picked up from here or in the CG book and my hair loves it - it completely speed drys my hair - plus i think it's more curly - i gave up the microfiber towel maybe three weeks ago - I work outside and my hair has to be tied back or up - I wash it maybe once or twice a week; basically whenever my scalp gets greasy/oily? - it's in some form of braided, ponytail, or bun 5 days a week - i do worry about the stress i'm putting on it - i've been trying to go CG not sure if i'm failing or not even doing it at all - the switching from towel to microfiber finally to tee shirt has given me great results - as for frizz i guess it's not that bad or i've just come to peace with it but when i notice it i take a bit of frizz ease extra strength to tackle it - the probably i've always had with my hair is that there are no waves/curls at the top; maybe it's the weight of length pulling it down; but the wave starts at my ears; maybe this is from being pulled back; read about clips and gels - is there an easier lazier way?? - i'm the throw it up and off my neck mess with it when i need to kinda girl - it's not thick nor thin, it can pouf when it wants, but, i kinda like the extra volume to toss around; as for hair dye it's only for this crazy patch of gray & its the touch up kit - it was found in 08' and was dyed the next day - i'm 25 and i'm going to fight it - last time i dyed it was back in 05' and it took a long time to get it back to normal medium brown - it also wrecked hell on my hair left it flat, stringly, drab etc - i'm at peace with my hair color; the cost of monthly trico and deep codish treatments to get it back to normal was enough to deter me - i don't really have bad hair days unless when it's greasy/oily & have to bun it till i can get to a shower; i'm looking for suggestions on how i can be more CG (if i'm not) with the products I already have - it would be a nice change to see if i could get more curl on the top - i've read the book but some parts seem to contrict the website - am i really suppose to use paper towels? not sure on how to clip up the top layer - what about the top of my head is it going to look/feel the same about the only condish part? - i've always shampooed the entire head rinsed it out and then conditioned the entired head (when i can remember i try to put more on the ends) and then rinsed it all out - so is the techinque(sp?) or the products that make it CG?? - lots of advice is welcome and thanks for reading my hair story

You don't have to use paper towels. A quick and easy way to get more curl on the top is to flip your head over and rake and scrunch in your styling products. And I think part of the problem is that you're conditioning your entire head. You do NOT need to condition at your roots; they are closest to your scalp's oil glands, and that's plenty of lubrication, which is also what could have lead to your greasy scalp. What you should do is put more shampoo on your roots than your mid-length to ends, but when conditioning, apply it only to your mid-length and more on the ends, steering clear of your roots. And the L'Oreal EverPure line has some non-water-soluble silicone in it (just one in the shampoo) so your hair is not CG. And using sulfate-free shampoo is modified CG. If you're looking for good sulfate-free shampoos, Burt's Bees is pretty good. Full-out CG means you wash your hair and scalp with only conditioner in place of shampoo and avoid shampoo at all costs. HTH!
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Posts: 121Registered Users
    Hey there, I can definitely relate to your story! I think it's great that you decided to go cg and don't use a brush. Took me YEARS to figure that out...

Anyway, I just wanted to write about having a straight top. My hair, also, stays straight at the top, only beginning to wave a little bit above my ears. I had very long hair, and thought that this was the issue. WRONG! :angry4: I got my hair cut short, only to have all of my waves disapear. :crybaby: It turns out that most wavies have straight hair at the top, only turning into waves at longer lengths. (I only learned this after I read these forums.) Indeed, after keeping my eyes peeled while walking around on the streets, I found that all people I viewed who had wavy hair also had straight tops... gosh that makes me sound like a stalker. :laughing6:

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you against cutting it short! It will only make your hair straighter!
  • Waves84Waves84 Posts: 64Registered Users
    Thanks for the responses - I've been reading the CG book and wow your right I am not CG or even a modified - I'm still figuring out which products to go CG with - I've got a tube of the Burts Bee hair mask; i'll mess around with it tomarrow - I guess the starting point for me is the products - I learned the hard way about brushes and I do know NOT to cut my hair above my shoulders (try 6th grade new school waist length to chin add lots of frizz and glasses) - I'm seriously debating going to a CG hair salon and asking them to politely show me - i don't think it counts as stalking - ps i'm still scanning the boards for locals to post about a CG salon
    2B - Just below BSL
    CG as of 7/11

Low Poo - GioSAS, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Shampoo
    Co-wash- Suave Coconut
    Rinse out - GioSAS codish, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Codish, Alterna Caviar Codish
    Currently auditioning the following products - BRHG, Ecostyler Argan Oil, SMSmoothie, Dep Sport Gel, LaBellaLotsofCurls, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Mask, LI & Potion, LOOB, Aussie Sydney Smooth....Just want frizz free waves w/ some curls...
  • Future WaveFuture Wave Posts: 154Registered Users
    The basics of CG are really very simple:

No sulfate shampoos. Wash ("no-poo") using a silicone free conditioner instead. Wavies sometimes need to use a non-sulfate shampoo once or twice a week.

No silicones in your conditioner.

In reality... a lot of what works for any individual varies, depending on texture, porosity, sensitivity to various ingredients.

There are some on here who seem to do just fine still using sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners. For most curlies though, silicones and sulfates mean dry hair and frizz. For me, they cause my hair to go limp and straight.

Personally, even though I'm a fine haired wavy, I've never done a lo-poo a couple times a week. The only time I've lo-pooed was when I had build up from ingredients that didn't do well on my hair. The worst was stearalkonium chloride, which made my hair feel overconditioned, too soft, and limp. I did partial lo-poos on the front when I discovered that my face lotions had silicones in them, and as my front hair dried, it would end up with silicones in it from hanging on my face where it soaked up the silicone containing face lotion, causing it to completely lose it's curl. So really, I only do a lo-poo when absolutely necessary, not on any kind of set schedule, because the Suave coconut co-wash makes my hair and scalp so clean all by itself.

I just try to keep it as simple as possible: co-wash with Suave coconut, then add a richer rinse out if it doesn't feel conditioned enough after the co-wash. Then scrunch in aloe gel mixed with either glycerin or Hask spray it curly (depending on the dew point). Usually I just let it air dry, sometimes I take the time to pixie curl.
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file