Low-fiber breakfast ideas for toddlers?

Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
My daughter starts preschool next week, and I'm getting a little nervous about it (even though it's only for 3 days per week, 2 hrs. per day). Even though she's mastered the basics of potty training, she can't really clean up after herself well (like any child this age...I really don't think any child can get themself clean enough on their own until they're about 4 or so). OK, even if she does do well going potty when she's away from mommy, I know that potty availability is limited for her age group (2 and 1/2 to 3 years old). This preschool (located right across the street from us) asks that parents for children this age be available to be called in case their child's diaper needs to be changed or the child needs to be cleaned properly. I can do that- it's no problem if it doesn't happen too often.

Overall, I would like to at least try to avoid nasty stools as much as possible. I believe that what she eats in the morning can make a difference. I titled this thread "low-fiber" and I'm almost thinking "no-fiber" is more appropriate. I'm going to forget about giving her oatmeal with squashed banana in it before she goes to school....she can have that as soon as she comes home (she really loves her oatmeal). Forget about apple juice, or any juices really, and forget about cereals and fruit first thing in the morning on preschool days. These foods make her stools too yucky and difficult to clean.

One of my breakfast ideas for preschool days will include muffins and perhaps toast. I'm thinking hard-boiled eggs shouldn't be a problem.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Har boiled egg, a piece of cheese and some milk?
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree w/CGNYC. Dairy is good. Egg and cheese on toast maybe? Bananas are binding as well. Maybe French Toast or pancakes/waffles? Bagel & cream cheese?

I don't know how much you'll be able to control this issue, but it's only 6 hours a week. I'm sure you will both adjust fine. You may find that she self regulates to poop at home on familiar territory.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Maybe I'm not understanding something.

You're paying for preschool and the preschool expects you to wipe your child's tush from time to time so they don't have to do it? IMHO for the price of childcare these days, I'd expect caretakers to do just that - take care of the kids - even the nasty stuff. What if you're at a meeting and can't come there to wipe? Do they give you stinkeye (no pun intended)

The whole setup just seems like an unreasonable request.

Anywhoo, to answer your question. We do kashi waffles in the morning or a piece of bread with butter and preserves. For beverage - hot green tea with a bit of agave sugar or vanilla soy milk.
    hello.world.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »

You're paying for preschool and the preschool expects you to wipe your child's tush from time to time so they don't have to do it? IMHO for the price of childcare these days, I'd expect caretakers to do just that - take care of the kids - even the nasty stuff. What if you're at a meeting and can't come there to wipe? Do they give you stinkeye (no pun intended)

Anywhoo, to answer your question. We do kashi waffles in the morning or a piece of bread with butter and preserves. For beverage - hot green tea with a bit of agave sugar or vanilla soy milk.

i agree with the bolded.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, but it's a community preschool for a limited number of hours a week (6 hours) at a fairly low monthly cost (less than $100 per month). It's not supposed to resemble a "daycare" and since the age of 2 and 1/2 to 3 is a bit tricky when it comes to being "fully" potty trained, they ask that someone be available to change the child's diaper if necessary. I was almost going to reconsider sending her to the preschool, but I haven't been able to afford daycare up till now and this is really my daughter's first opportunity to "socialize" as much as possible (she's an only child and my family is very, very small).

To be honest, seeing how soft my daughter's stools have gotten during the past year, I'm a little funny about letting other people clean up after her anyhow.....
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Our preschool expects kids to be bathroom independent.

I wouldn't worry about it. She'll manage just fine. I was uncertain how DS would manage last year since I always assisted him at home, but he had no issues at all. 2.5 hours is not a lot of time - DS would pee before he left for school and right when he got home.

As far as I know, he didn't poop at school all year. Or maybe he already knows how to wipe his own bum and is scamming me by making me do it for him at home?
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Our preschool expects kids to be bathroom independent.

I wouldn't worry about it. She'll manage just fine. I was uncertain how DS would manage last year since I always assisted him at home, but he had no issues at all. 2.5 hours is not a lot of time - DS would pee before he left for school and right when he got home.

As far as I know, he didn't poop at school all year. Or maybe he already knows how to wipe his own bum and is scamming me by making me do it for him at home?

as funny as that is, its entirely possible. back when i used to work in child care the kids would do it all the time. the parents had no clue that their child was totally weaned from a pacifier, could drink from a regular cup or even fall asleep on their own because they would scam their parents at home. gotta love kids!
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    Now I don't have any little ones (just a teen), so take my comments with a grain of salt, and I definitely mean no disrespect to the OP, but....

I cannot imagine changing my child's breakfast into something that is more binding and/or could cause some constipation just so she can go to preschool. I'm probably coming off badly, but it just doesn't seem right to me.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    JLeighs wrote: »
    Now I don't have any little ones (just a teen), so take my comments with a grain of salt, and I definitely mean no disrespect to the OP, but....

I cannot imagine changing my child's breakfast into something that is more binding and/or could cause some constipation just so she can go to preschool. I'm probably coming off badly, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

No, don't worry about it...so many thoughts crossed my mind including what you've pointed out. I just want to do it "perfectly" and in reality, it's impossible. It's just that my daughter stools seem like they are softer than they should be. They weren't so soft up till the age of 18 months. OK...nuff about the yucky stuff..I just need to feed her the right, balanced diet. I guess I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing, even though we've had a few "practice" sessions when I left her at church watchcares in the past (where they actually DO change the kids' diapers)....
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    Paula wrote: »
    JLeighs wrote: »

No, don't worry about it...so many thoughts crossed my mind including what you've pointed out. I just want to do it "perfectly" and in reality, it's impossible. It's just that my daughter stools seem like they are softer than they should be. They weren't so soft up till the age of 18 months. OK...nuff about the yucky stuff..I just need to feed her the right, balanced diet. I guess I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing, even though we've had a few "practice" sessions when I left her at church watchcares in the past (where they actually DO change the kids' diapers)....

:)

I don't have any experience with daycares recently, but I'm really floored by the "won't change a diaper or clean up" thing. Is this normal daycare policy? Lots of 2-3 year old kids are going to have accidents, and I can't understand why they would call the parent to come and change the diaper. Yeesh...
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i'm not quite understanding the mission of the childcare service across from you. they offer childcare, but still expect parents to come by to change potty trained children who have occasional accidents. inexpensive or not, that makes no sense. if they were baby-sitting for a few hours in the evening, would they call the same parents from the movie theatre or dinner to tell them to come home to change their toddler's clothing? that makes about the same amount of sense as calling a parent at work/home/mobile to do the same thing during the day.

3 year olds here are in what is understood to be the lower pre-school category. they are expected to be daytime potty trained, with the ability to wipe themselves and wash their hands following a pictorial and/or worded instructional chart over the sinks. this is in the childcare facilities that are governed by state standards and other educational entities.

if you have a 3 year old who is not potty trained, they either won't enroll him/her in the preschool program, or they may put them in with the 2 year olds, or you'd have to find an at-home childcare arrangement where the caregiver isn't as stringent about things like that.

having said that, 3 year olds are still toddlers and they will have accidents sometimes, which is why any good facility will require parents to bring a seasonal change of clothing (a complete outfit) in case something does happen.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    And what happens if you use the time while she's at preschool to go food shopping or something, and they call you? Will they just let her sit there all messy for the 10+ minutes it takes you to get there? What about families who don't live as close as you do, same thing?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    And what happens if you use the time while she's at preschool to go food shopping or something, and they call you? Will they just let her sit there all messy for the 10+ minutes it takes you to get there? What about families who don't live as close as you do, same thing?

That's what I'm wondering. What if you can't make it there? Will they leave her dirty? I would be PISSED. What is their reasoning behind not cleaning the kid up themselves? I'm pretty sure that if I were watching ANY kid- even for low wages or free- I would help them potty if they needed it or wipe them or clean them up if they had an accident. What do they do with them while you are on your way there? My kid has sensitive skin & if he sits in a dirty pull up too long- he will get a bad rash & has even blistered a little when I didn't realize it in time. (And, I'm not talking about a crazy long time here- just a few minutes). I would not get a long well at that facility...
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    I've seen these same rules at preschools around here.

Karan's school requires them to be completely potty independent but some preschools will take kids that are "training" in pullups. They will help them potty and if needed change a wet pullup but will call parents in case of a poopy change.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I don't know about your child, but if I had to go to DS's classroom mid day to change a poopy diaper or wipe his bum - I would have real trouble leaving. DS knows that when I show up at his daycare, it's home time.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    I don't know about your child, but if I had to go to DS's classroom mid day to change a poopy diaper or wipe his bum - I would have real trouble leaving. DS knows that when I show up at his daycare, it's home time.

LOL. But I think this is just a 2 hour preschool, right? Not a whole day of daycare.

I really doubt, based on DS's class, that too many kids are pooping, or even peeing, in the 2 hours they are there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file