How often do you straighten your hair?

Catsmd71Catsmd71 Registered Users Posts: 93 Curl Neophyte
Hi,

Since I almost completely stopped straightening after TEN years of doing so, thanks to NC I just need some self-esteem stats from you all using this poll. Thanks.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
PW: curlz

Comments

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I get my hair straightened twice a year and that's when I get my trims.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • Ab-starAb-star Registered Users Posts: 1,128
    I voted 6 months - 1 year but it's probably not even that often.
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I voted 1-5 times a month, but I doubt this will continue. i've only been curly for about 2 months, and I've straightened my hair 3 times, all the times being when I overslept and didn't have time to bother with curls. Now that I've made progress on my technique and don't diffuse anymore, it would probably be less time to do it curly anyway. I'm really loving my curls right now and have no desire to straighten at all.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • NeedSleepNeedSleep Registered Users Posts: 102
    I didn't vote because "never" isn't a choice
    password: wavy
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Registered Users Posts: 458
    I voted every 2-6 months. I get it straightened every 4 mos. or so when I get it trimmed.
    3c
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls OhioRegistered Users Posts: 370
    I voted every six months, but the reality is I haven't straightened in over two years. It's too much of a hassle for me to straighten.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    i do it once or twice a year, just for fun. i always wind up hating it and am happy to have my curls back after i wet it again. 8)
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • PlayzwithfirePlayzwithfire Registered Users Posts: 35
    I voted 1-5 times a month, cause I usually will blow it out once a week (that gets me about 3 days worth of straight hair) But then again I also have not yet found a curly routine that works for me yet, But i hav'nt given up just yet.....and the fact that I have worn it more curly then straight since june is some big steps for me.
  • Catsmd71Catsmd71 Registered Users Posts: 93 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with you, just outweighing the straight days with curly is a big step for many of us who have felt "curl-hated" most of our lives. Good for you!!!!!!!! :D:lol:
    Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
  • Kgrl17Kgrl17 Registered Users Posts: 137
    I straightened mine daily for about 4 years. Now I still straighten mine about once every week or two. I never have enough time for my hair to dry or it just doesn't look good so I straighten it sometimes b/c it's easier
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    I am like "NeedSleep", I NEVER straighten my hair. I only wish that option could have been added to the poll, as well!
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
    Sorry,
    I was going to put "never" and being a typical american curly, I think deep down every girl straightens b/c hollywood and pop culture show us that it's "in!" But great for you girls who NEVER straigthen. Your hair surely thanks you!
  • meegsmeegs Registered Users Posts: 354
    I voted 1-5 times a week (these days it's been about 2x/week), but being a wavy, "straightening" is a relative term. I don't need to drag out the super-hot blow-dryer and round brush to get a different texture, as those with really tight curls do. I can coax it into relative straightness fairly easily. But "relative" is also a...well...relative term. :lol: It would be damn nigh impossible for me to get my hair perfectly straight.

But take today for example. I got my hair reasonably straight with fairly little effort, but it's really not that straight. Last I checked it in the bathroom mirror, my most spiraly piece on the right side of my head is already curling over onto itself, but overall my hair gives the impression of having very loose waves.

Is that a comprehensive enough explanation? :wink:
    2b-ish--embracing my waves this summer
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Registered Users Posts: 1,628
    I voted every 6 months to a year, but it's really more infrequent than that. I always hate it whenever I do straighten it (like once every year or two), so I'm definitely leaning more and more towards "never."
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Never. I've never been 'in'. :)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • B-wavyB-wavy Between Richmond and Charlottesville, VARegistered Users Posts: 1,733 Curl Connoisseur
    I would vote "never" if it were an option. I'm so happy to finally know how to care for my hair, I don't have the slightest desire to straighten it ever again.
    Never. I've never been 'in'. :)

I really like what you said, jeepcurlygurl. While I've never felt "in", I used to feel obligated to try to fit in. Now that I don't feel obligated to do that any more (in any aspect of my life, not just hair), I'm much happier. And you are an inspiration! :D
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    NeedSleep wrote:
    I didn't vote because "never" isn't a choice

Ditto.
    Catsmd71 wrote:
    Sorry,
    I was going to put "never" and being a typical american curly, I think deep down every girl straightens b/c hollywood and pop culture show us that it's "in!"

Nope, I definitely don't feel that way, nor do I pay much attention to what's "in". I relaxed my hair once, when I was 12- my curls came in at puberty, and I was kind of in shock and didn't know what to do with them. It took about a day to realize what a mistake that had been. That was 19 years ago, and I can count on my fingers the number of times my hair has been straight since- and most of those times I straightened b/c a friend begged me to do it, or a hairdresser talked me into it. I have zero interest in having straight hair.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    That's awesome. $%%^& all the critics and "phobias" of curls. I think all curls should be embraced. I've seen the tightest kinks let loose and I love it. Dark skinned women will often do braids, beads and straighteners as Caucasians appear to marry their straightening iron. NO MORE! This site is really helping so many girls out there. And guys, come join us too!!!! :wink:
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    I would have voted NEVER too if it was an option. Since I've been CG (almost 2 years? I've lost track) I haven't straightened my hair.

I would be curious to do so just to see how long it really is, but I am afraid to "blowfry" my hair!!
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    this year i plan on straightening only once just to see how my hair looks straight.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
    I like that - "blowfry" is exactly what we do to it~ :twisted:
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Registered Users Posts: 260
    I'd say two to three times a year, at most.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Registered Users Posts: 994
    About twice a year, and never for a special occasion. It just an occasional change, which usually makes me appreciate my curls more.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file